Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

SERATO DJ PITCH N TIME

dougielove 4:11 AM - 12 January, 2018
Hey fellow dj's, i'm looking for help on serato dj pitch n time. I bought it, now I just need help within the serato dj software on how to use it. My buddy told me that it is really good for making some great transitions between songs that they normal bpm slider wouldn't otherwise allow me to do. Any help would be great, i couldn't really find too many youtube videos on it, or any help searching the forums for some reason.

Thanks!
DJ Tecniq 5:48 AM - 12 January, 2018
What hardware are you using? Pitch N’ Time will only benefit you if you have equipment that has +16, +50% pitch adjustment.
dougielove 6:42 AM - 12 January, 2018
Quote:
What hardware are you using? Pitch N’ Time will only benefit you if you have equipment that has +16, +50% pitch adjustment.

PIONEER DDJ-SX2
dougielove 6:47 AM - 12 January, 2018
www.pioneerdj.com

I should be able to use it. I got windows 10, i5 dual core 7th gen, 8 gigs of ram.
DJ Tecniq 7:53 AM - 12 January, 2018
Yes you can use it. You may need to activate pitch n time in your expansion packs then enable it in SDJ. Your reg key lock icon will turn into a pnt icon when it’s in use👍🏼
dj_soo 9:37 AM - 12 January, 2018
it's just key lock that sounds better and gives you the ability to shift the pitch without shifting the tempo.
dougielove 3:20 PM - 12 January, 2018
Thanks guys. I will give it a go when I get home tonight! :) Thanks for the help! I wish there was a video showing me :(
dougielove 7:01 AM - 14 January, 2018
Guys I am totally missing something. I thought pitch n time would mean i can mix a "100 bpm" into a "130 bpm", and it would be as if i was mixing a "125 bpm" into a "126 bpm"... .. But the "bpm slider" would go + or - 16, or 50??? There are no instructions on how to use this. The only thing i can do is hit the "sync" button, then the bpm doubles the other track........................I don't get it.... I thought i could use the bpm slider on any song to mix any song, and manipulate that bpm "plus or minus 50" ??
dj_soo 7:13 AM - 14 January, 2018
nothign to do with pitch and time and everything to do with whatever controller you have and what the pitch ranges are.

Why you would want to stretch a track that far is beyond me - even with pitch and time, it's not going to sound good.
DJ Tecniq 8:17 AM - 14 January, 2018
Quote:
Guys I am totally missing something. I thought pitch n time would mean i can mix a "100 bpm" into a "130 bpm", and it would be as if i was mixing a "125 bpm" into a "126 bpm"... .. But the "bpm slider" would go + or - 16, or 50??? There are no instructions on how to use this. The only thing i can do is hit the "sync" button, then the bpm doubles the other track........................I don't get it.... I thought i could use the bpm slider on any song to mix any song, and manipulate that bpm "plus or minus 50" ??
shift + keylock will change your bpm range. You won’t be able to transition that far of bpm unless you’re using +50 pitch speed. It will sound very weird esp if they aren’t in the same key.
dougielove 8:18 AM - 14 January, 2018
Quote:
nothign to do with pitch and time and everything to do with whatever controller you have and what the pitch ranges are.

Why you would want to stretch a track that far is beyond me - even with pitch and time, it's not going to sound good.

The guy above that commented says that it will work. I have a pioneer ddj sx-2, and is compatible with pitch n time.

My one dj buddy that told me to buy this said his bpm slider worked for him like i want it to work for me.

There are no videos, no instructions, i mean nothing.

The whole purpose of me purchasing it was to mix a 100 bpm into a 130 bpm, and it will sound with the the extra bpm slider
DJ Tecniq 8:22 AM - 14 January, 2018
The bpm slider = pitch adjustment. If you didn’t know already your controller has the ability to change your bpm range by holding shift and keylock you’ll see the % change from +8,16 and 50 even without pnt you can reach those ranges.
dougielove 8:29 AM - 14 January, 2018
Quote:
The bpm slider = pitch adjustment. If you didn’t know already your controller has the ability to change your bpm range by holding shift and keylock you’ll s the % change from +8,16 and 50 even without pnt you can reach those ranges.

JFC, lol I'm 44 years old. I thought pnt would let me mix a 70 bpm into a 110 bpm, and it would just work lol (left deck at 70 bpm, right deck at 110)

So if i adjust my slider adjustment to 50, will pitch n time somehow make it sound good in transition?
dj_soo 8:29 AM - 14 January, 2018
it'll work - it just won't sound that good.
dj_soo 8:31 AM - 14 January, 2018
if you're trying to shift tempos that drastically, why not just press the sync button?
DJ Tecniq 8:45 AM - 14 January, 2018
Quote:
JFC, lol I'm 44 years old. I thought pnt would let me mix a 70 bpm into a 110 bpm, and it would just work lol (left deck at 70 bpm, right deck at 110)

So if i adjust my slider adjustment to 50, will pitch n time somehow make it sound good in transition?
if you think about it 110 is not a huge jump from 70. 70 and 140 bpm is the same thing it’s a half bpm. 70 + 70 = 140 if you mix a 70 bpm into a 140 they are the same. Kinda how you can mix any 70 rap track into dubstep. So essentially mixing a 110 bpm song into a 140 would be more ideal.
dougielove 8:46 AM - 14 January, 2018
Quote:
if you're trying to shift tempos that drastically, why not just press the sync button?

"sync" Neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlol

I just want to be able to do extreme tempos lol

"snyc" = bad lol

I thought pitch n time would help me mix in a 99 bpm trap track to a 120 bpm house track and it wouldn't sound weird lol

Thank u guys so much.
DJ Tecniq 8:48 AM - 14 January, 2018
To achieve the mix you want you’re controller would need to be at prob + 16 pitch speed.
DJ Tecniq 8:50 AM - 14 January, 2018
Since you got the SX it has a long pitch fader so i think at +16% on the deck you’d be fine. Use +50 range for extreme tempo changes like say a 100 bpm into a 130 or something.
DJ Tecniq 8:54 AM - 14 January, 2018
Pnt just allows you to stretch a 100 bpm song and pitch it to like 120 or higher if wanted. On a pair of reg Technics turntables you can not achieve that because the pitch adjustment doesn’t go as far. Pnt only benefits those with hardware that have +16, +50% bpm speeds.
dougielove 8:56 AM - 14 January, 2018
You guys are awesome. I'm old, so my new thing is a green screen when i dj online. I put cool visuals in the background. I'm an edm junkie since 97.

I'm not trying to spam subscribers. I want an audience that will like the show i do ;) Plus i could have u guys on. www.youtube.com
or on facebook www.facebook.com
That is me.

DJ Tecniq.. thanks dude!
dj_soo 9:28 AM - 14 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

"sync" Neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlol

I just want to be able to do extreme tempos lol

"snyc" = bad lol

I thought pitch n time would help me mix in a 99 bpm trap track to a 120 bpm house track and it wouldn't sound weird lol

Thank u guys so much.

I use it for drastic pitch shifts. What you do is unsync the other deck and it basically works to shift the 0 point of your pitch fader. +/-50 ends up being really low resolution so I like to keep it at 8, and then I can just beatmatch/pitch ride as I want.
577er 7:52 PM - 14 January, 2018
Forget key lock just mix that shit raw dog like a 1991 breakbeat track.
jackdhouse 11:53 PM - 14 January, 2018
Couldn't you just pull gradually up the 99 bpm track up to 110 bpm and then sync the 120 bpm track to 110 and mix both tracks in together at 110 BPM and increase the pitch gradually back up to 120 and call it a day?
dougielove 12:55 AM - 15 January, 2018
Quote:

I wish it worked like that lol I hope it warms up soon. I got all my vinyl and turntables in the garage lol I do miss my plump dj's lol
dougielove 12:56 AM - 15 January, 2018
Quote:
Couldn't you just pull gradually up the 99 bpm track up to 110 bpm and then sync the 120 bpm track to 110 and mix both tracks in together at 110 BPM and increase the pitch gradually back up to 120 and call it a day?

I never use sync lol I just needed the plus minus fidy..............
DJ Tecniq 1:28 AM - 15 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I wish it worked like that lol I hope it warms up soon. I got all my vinyl and turntables in the garage lol I do miss my plump dj's lol
props for breakbeat. I’m in Florida. Home of DJ Icey 🙌🏼 I got a mad collection of old/nu skool Breaks. Planning on doing an all vinyl set on fb live soon.
577er 8:53 PM - 15 January, 2018
Nice! Post it up on mixcloud for the non Facebook users amongst us. I’m hoping 12345678 makes it in the mix.
dougielove 3:30 AM - 16 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

props for breakbeat. I’m in Florida. Home of DJ Icey 🙌🏼 I got a mad collection of old/nu skool Breaks. Planning on doing an all vinyl set on fb live soon.

I love DJ Icey!!!!!! I think I got 1 vinyl of his with "not a test" and "the air is full of sound on the flip" :)
dougielove 3:33 AM - 16 January, 2018
Quote:
Nice! Post it up on mixcloud for the non Facebook users amongst us. I’m hoping 12345678 makes it in the mix.

I did do a Beastie Boys tribute mix :)

www.mixcloud.com

Here is my youtube when I go live :) I use a green screen for visuals behind me. Its dope AF :)

www.youtube.com
dougielove 4:47 AM - 16 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Add me dude :) www.facebook.com
Psythik 7:14 AM - 16 January, 2018
Dude no one cares if you use SYNC or not. That argument ended like 5 years ago.
dougielove 5:23 AM - 17 January, 2018
Quote:
Dude no one cares if you use SYNC or not. That argument ended like 5 years ago.

No reason to get upset. I don't use it. I know how to beat match lol
Cwite 7:11 PM - 18 January, 2018
With the tempo set to a 50 % range for wide transitions you are more than likely going to need to sync. The slider doesn't have the accuracy that you will want at these extremes. Trust me, I do what you are talking about all the time.

There is a way around it though. Im using an SZ, but i will assume the controls are the same on the SX. The only way you can keep good control is to keep the slider on 8% to do a manual match.
You can press the shift button to move the slider without affecting the bpm this allows you to reposition the slider several times to get the bpm where you want.
BUT, this won't work in absolute tempo mode (no sync). You will need to press Sync, then press Shift and sync to disengage sync and switch the slider to relative tempo mode. This is when the screen displays sync with a blue box around it, not a solid blue. This will then let you press shift and move the slider to what ever range you want.
DJ Tecniq 8:34 PM - 18 January, 2018
Quote:
Add me dude :) www.facebook.com
Done!
mister_wilson 2:30 AM - 19 January, 2018
dougie i am 43 and spinning since '94. its not an age thing. if you can't figure out how to widen your tempo range with your pitch sliders, you aren't looking hard enough in your manual, or online. hold the shift button on the side of the controller you want to change tempo on and hit the button above your pitch slider that says tempo range underneath it on that same side. your tempo range on your pitch slider will widen from +/-8 to +/- 16. if you hit it again it will jump to +/-50 and if you hit it again it will come back down to +/-8
dougielove 1:38 AM - 20 January, 2018
Quote:
dougie i am 43 and spinning since '94. its not an age thing. if you can't figure out how to widen your tempo range with your pitch sliders, you aren't looking hard enough in your manual, or online. hold the shift button on the side of the controller you want to change tempo on and hit the button above your pitch slider that says tempo range underneath it on that same side. your tempo range on your pitch slider will widen from +/-8 to +/- 16. if you hit it again it will jump to +/-50 and if you hit it again it will come back down to +/-8

Thanks man! Appreciate it.