DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What are your thoughts on a nightclub using a dj music app vs an actual DJ?

Mel-V 12:15 AM - 12 January, 2018
Hi guys,

A local venue here in town recently terminated their DJs to use an app called, Rockbot. They label themselves as a nightclub but this to me seems like an idiotic move. I mean are they actually expecting customers to continue to pay a cover charge to go into a place that u also have to pay to play music of their choice thru the use of an app that has to be download in their phone? Has anyone else here heard of anything like this?
Mel-V 12:20 AM - 12 January, 2018
Let me also add that they are doing this because there was too much of the "wrong crowd" coming in and according to them too much Hip Hop was being played by the DJs and not enough House/EDM music.
Logisticalstyles 1:59 PM - 12 January, 2018
I've never heard of a club doing this. I don't think it will work though. I have a feeling the crowd will be selecting just as much if not more hip-hop. Plus I don't really see people wanting to download an app and then PAY for requests.
Ollie 7:24 PM - 12 January, 2018
then they should talk to the dj as to what music they want to be played.
Mel-V 7:43 PM - 12 January, 2018
Quote:
then they should talk to the dj as to what music they want to be played.

They did, they owner said he wanted strictly House /EDM all night long...The owner wanted no 2 Chainz, no Hip Hop, no Rap, no Top 40s, no Latin music...But people wouldn't stick around. 95% of people (mostly women) requested Rap and Hip Hop, Pop, Top 40, Latin and if it wasn't played then they would leave. In the beginning House/EDM music was being played but the venue would not get half full. Once DJ began using a more open format approach, the place use to get packed.
Wavespeech 10:04 PM - 12 January, 2018
I could see most mainstream clubs going this way, Pyro with Spotify integrated and some kind of audience participation in the form of a request a tune or vote for most hottest tune to be played next.

The DJ jukebox on a club scale system.
577er 11:48 PM - 12 January, 2018
Good luck trying to avoid ratchet hip hop with a glorified juke box 😂. It’s like those restaurants that tried to remove human employees and refer to food as “product”. People go out to socialize with humans how hard it that to understand?
Wavespeech 7:06 AM - 13 January, 2018
They do I agree and certain clubs the DJ is still a draw, but many mainstream venues and smaller bars could, in theory, not going all Black Mirror as I'm not saying it'd happen tomorrow, replace the DJ with technology.

For us that love the mix and skills of a good DJ sure it would suck.

DJ Jukebox set cue points, these cue pointed and grided files shared on line, spotify type stuff already grided, pyro type programs mixing perfectly, a human DJ 'could' jst press 'mood up' or 'mood down' button and let the tech do everything else. Hell some EDM big name are all pre-programmed and don't even respond or control crowd mood.

It'd be a sad day when it happens, but I can see it coming.

It'd probably be some big name endorsed tech, DJ A-OK Virtual Live, playing simultaneously in 25 clubs, enjoy the shared experience, cclick like, subscribe, interact with other clubbers around the world, as it happens. Kids would love it, have you seen hamy many of them enjoy a EDM concert via their screens in person.

But on a smaller scale, bars, parties, weddings, it's hard to please everyone at a mixed bag gig, the tech would let the majority choose via an app, it'd be a navelty and weddings love them, especially if it took selfie vids of your reaction as your tune came on and you got up to dance.

Man it does sound a little Black Mirror, if you chuck in a bit of mind control when the bar goes quiet and the punters need to spend.

Thank god for old school hip hop and keeping the DJ real important, and rave for when we didn't even know where the DJ was in a club, down with EDM for making the DJ a star like so kind of pop concert, boo, bad boy.

It not something I would like at all, yet another great thing, the live DJ with real crowd reading skills, being replaced, but if there a place where tech could do it I'd say here it could.

Real fans would still seek out real venues with real DJs. And thnks god for 'em. And he uses vinyl, oh you beauty.