Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato working quietly with Spotify integration ?

Jenczowsky 8:18 PM - 9 January, 2018
I was curious to see if i can translate help files to my language and guess what i found lines indicating something about Spotify? If guys at Serato manage to do this it will be amazing for multi-genre DJ to play :)

Lines : /SeratoDJ/help/en
<key>SPOTIFY</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Line</key><string>SPOTIFY</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>Enable Spotify</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Line</key><string>Enable Spotify</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>Activate Spotify</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Line</key><string>Activate Spotify</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>Log Out</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Line</key><string>Log Out</string>
</dict>
Dj cuervo 10:17 PM - 9 January, 2018
make sense maybe it will be demo at Namm
popnwave 3:53 PM - 10 January, 2018
Just remember, even if that did happen, no DJ software currently allows OFFLINE playback of Spotify materials. To me, that makes it a huge gamble, worrying about if connectivity is spot on during a gig.
Dj L-Biz 4:00 PM - 10 January, 2018
be a nice touch if this happened but i still think the main hurdle is Spotify's licence agreement... the current user agreement doesn't cover playing in venues. Unless they can release a pro version for DJ's?

I could stand corrected but that's my simplistic understanding
popnwave 4:05 PM - 10 January, 2018
Quote:
be a nice touch if this happened but i still think the main hurdle is Spotify's licence agreement... the current user agreement doesn't cover playing in venues. Unless they can release a pro version for DJ's?

DJay Pro and their work with Spotify has somehow skirted this so far. But that is probably the reason they haven't expanded it further.
DJ Tecniq 8:20 PM - 10 January, 2018
Oh yay...another streaming service 👏🏼
Perfect Party DJs 8:59 AM - 11 January, 2018
It would be great if this could be implemented, especially with the demise of Pulselocker and the issues people are having with Djay Pro 2.

There definitely needs to be a streaming service or similar for all DJ software in this day and age.
Telony Ex 11:59 PM - 11 January, 2018
+1. Nice find my friend. Nice find
Wavespeech 9:59 AM - 12 January, 2018
And why would you want to play tunes to a crowd that the crowd can get themselves anytime from the same streaming service.

Punter has a look st DJ XYZs playlist on Spotify before a night out and decides whether or not to bother going.

Sounds like an awful idea unless you're a DJ that takes requests then maybe the crowd can use their phones for live requests to add to your playlist.

I didn't use Pulselocker, but wasn't it more of a DJ pool with rare and hard to find tunes than a streaming service where the public can find everything you can.
DJ Tecniq 11:18 AM - 12 January, 2018
Haven’t ever had a request for a song i didn’t have...if it’s stupid i don’t play it. Streaming service doesn’t apply to me🤷🏼‍♂️
DJ Matty Stiles 11:42 AM - 12 January, 2018
Meh I’d just like to mess around with it at home. Sick of practicing with the same music I play out at gigs. So doesn’t matter if I can’t play offline. Because I damn sure ain’t streaming at a gig that’s for sure
deejayfatcat 1:12 PM - 12 January, 2018
DJs use Serato for all different reasons. While I’d never advocate it for club use, it’s can be really helpful at a backyard bbq.

I’ve been using Spotify on djay iPad for a few years as a supplement to my library and it’s worked flawlessly.
realstacktrace 4:22 PM - 12 January, 2018
Quote:
Just remember, even if that did happen, no DJ software currently allows OFFLINE playback of Spotify materials. To me, that makes it a huge gamble, worrying about if connectivity is spot on during a gig.

It'd be simple to enable offline playback of Spotify, just a matter of controlling the flipping of the bit that decrypts the (obfuscated) local files.
realstacktrace 4:24 PM - 12 January, 2018
Quote:

I believe that's correct. It's not an impossible hurdle to cross. Spotify and Serato just need to work out the details. The sad thing is that end users will be caught in the middle paying for expensive record pools AND Spotify AND every other music purchasing service. Meanwhile, the music industry execs profit.
Detroitbootybass 4:27 PM - 12 January, 2018
What short memories people have.
realstacktrace 4:40 PM - 12 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

DJay Pro and their work with Spotify has somehow skirted this so far. But that is probably the reason they haven't expanded it further.

The "Pro" in DJay Pro is a misnomer. It's amateur software at best.
realstacktrace 5:06 PM - 12 January, 2018
Quote:
And why would you want to play tunes to a crowd that the crowd can get themselves anytime from the same streaming service.

For one, it gives them an opportunity to hear songs they love through a high quality PA, could be similar to a concert-like experience without the actual artist.
Telony Ex 5:37 PM - 12 January, 2018
Quote:

Punter has a look st DJ XYZs playlist on Spotify before a night out and decides whether or not to bother going.

Sounds like an awful idea unless you're a DJ that takes requests then maybe the crowd can use their phones for live requests to add to your playlist.

I didn't use Pulselocker, but wasn't it more of a DJ pool with rare and hard to find tunes than a streaming service where the public can find everything you can.

What a way to look at life. So u mean to tell me based on ur above statement a dj only play songs that the audience have no acess to.

When people go out to party it is not only the music they go to enjoy. There is a lot of other things that determnes going to a club or bar. The music is one. But it definitely not because patrons feel like they cant find thise songs. Spotify is not the only music streaming platform. Plus there is tons more platforms to acces music.

A dj is more like a creater. With the same music everyone have access to, the dj plays them at the right time with the right song and create an overall vibe that a normal civilian wouldnt be able to do without some kind of training.

A dj yes introduce the audience to new songs but trust me of a whole night of playing music. Only about 2 percent of the music will be brand new to the audience.
Wavespeech 9:01 AM - 13 January, 2018
Yeah maybe I did sound a little bleak.

Got me thinking though, would this model work;

A lending library DJ pool.
We all upload our tunes, gridded and cueued.
Tunes are no longer in our possesion.
We have a licence in Serato that decrypts tunes serato+user, from lending library. (So they cant be used elsewhere or copied).
We can download, lend, the same amount we gave to the library.
popnwave 11:39 PM - 13 January, 2018
That's a level of trust I wouldn't have for any streaming platform.
DJ Matty Stiles 11:54 PM - 13 January, 2018
^ at least not at gigs. Fine to mess around with at home
Annie Yazbeck 10:24 AM - 8 January, 2019
Official support doesn't expect soon. During this period, you'd better to look for Spotify converter to make it possible, like AudFree Spotify Music Converter, which can help you convert Spotify files to MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B so that you can easily add converted Spotify playlists to Serato DJ software to create a new project with ease.
Fore more, please visit: www.audfree.com
Dj L-Biz 2:10 PM - 10 January, 2019
Quote:
Official support doesn't expect soon. During this period, you'd better to look for Spotify converter to make it possible, like AudFree Spotify Music Converter, which can help you convert Spotify files to MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B so that you can easily add converted Spotify playlists to Serato DJ software to create a new project with ease.
Fore more, please visit: www.audfree.com

What quality could you expect to get from this?
Sounds dangerous like people ripping from youtube, then convert the ripped file to a wav file and believing you then have wav quality music file...

In my experience advice like this is to be avoided if you plan playing anywhere other than your bedroom, especially if you are charging for your services

'Danger Will Robinson'
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:57 PM - 10 January, 2019
I'm sure serato have wn development API for Spotify, working out an licensing agreement is a different story
YZ 6:21 PM - 10 January, 2019
Yea, the tech isn't the problem. These integrations are more trivial when it comes to the business side. That aside, aren't their bugs with Tidal? They prob need to fix all those first before introducing new features (which they need to pump the breaks on) to fix other crap.