DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Using a GoPro to record your set

DJ Matty Stiles 4:31 AM - 9 January, 2018
There doesn’t appear to be any recent threads regarding this topic.

- In 2018, what model are you using?

- When at a club, what picture settings do you use? Do you use a lower resolution for longer sets? Is there a night mode for the dark?

- Where and how do you mount it? Any mounting accessories to consider?

- Any other tips or advice welcome
DJ Matty Stiles 4:40 AM - 9 January, 2018
Also any suggestions on mounting a GoPro on top of a speaker? I’m sure there’s a better solution than duct tape lol
DJ Matty Stiles 7:57 AM - 11 January, 2018
man these forums are well and truly dead
tbone8 3:16 AM - 22 January, 2018
Yep they are!
Unfortunately I haven't used a go pro so can't help ya sorry
Dj cuervo 3:53 PM - 22 January, 2018
I have Go pro hero 5. I was not able to find a dark mode for nightclubs. I record the Dj booth and not the crowd. I use a lamp to provide more light. I have the full accessory pack. There is a tripod that put the camera over the decks. I record at 1080p and super wide.
djdonnydee 11:13 PM - 22 January, 2018
i use a YI 4K action camera and holder like this but i think mine is a lot higher ... I place mine behind my laptop looking down at home. the YI 4K is pretty good at night www.amazon.com
popnwave 12:16 AM - 23 January, 2018
Low light is always the gotcha with being useful in a club :/
dj_soo 7:30 AM - 23 January, 2018
I just set up my home studio for recording video - mainly using my iphone 7+

I bought a cheap microphone arm from amazon: www.amazon.com

and right now have jury rigged an iphone tripod on there but am looking for a stand that can attach to the mic stand.

At a club, we just set my partner's gopro up on a small tripod next to the decks.
DJ Matty Stiles 9:29 PM - 24 January, 2018
Quote:
At a club, we just set my partner's gopro up on a small tripod next to the decks.

How tall is it? Do you ever experience problems of it seeing “over” the booth? I would think the higher the better right? That’s why I’m trying to figure out how to mount it on a speaker
HK1200 10:43 PM - 24 January, 2018
Does the GoPro have a mic input? If so, you can connect it direct to your mixer like a mini dat recorder.
Aptidda 11:56 PM - 24 January, 2018
I have a Hero 5 Session that I use but mostly to just record youtube videos. Overall I think the mic on the camera's is pretty crappy. GoPro sells a microphone/ line input adapter piece around $50
shop.gopro.com

I believe for low light you want to shoot at a lower FPS rate like 24 instead of 30 or 60.
SUBSTANCE 6:24 AM - 28 January, 2018
Speaker mounting a GoPro can make the audio unusable. Too much distortion. The bass can also mess with your shot, the suction mount helps with that.
With the microphone stand mount you can get a good shot and many venues have mic stands. The GoPro audio is good for crowd reactions, you can mix that audio with a recording of your set.
I use a Hero Session 4, usually only at 1080p because I tend to record live performances.
Small enough to always have in my bag, I use the app to frame up the shot.