Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Denon MCX8000 Frozen

Fern 1:48 PM - 7 January, 2018
Hi

I have been using this unit several times a week with no issues. However just before Christmas the unit crashed whilst I was playing out, unable to get it back up and running I swapped over to my S5.

Having had the chance to get it home and take a look, the unit seems to have completely frozen. I have tried updating the drivers but with no response. I am unable to access utilities so cannot confirm or update the firmware.

Upon switching it on the LCD screens come on with the standard welcome screen and that's it.

Anybody else had this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanking you kind people in advance
DJ Tecniq 2:06 PM - 7 January, 2018
Bad usb cable?
Fern 2:42 PM - 7 January, 2018
Thank you, but unfortunately not. Have tried several USB's and different ports on the laptop with no change, my S5 is working fine so I am satisfied that isn't the issue.
DJ Tecniq 3:05 PM - 7 January, 2018
Quote:
Thank you, but unfortunately not. Have tried several USB's and different ports on the laptop with no change, my S5 is working fine so I am satisfied that isn't the issue.
Specs of your laptop?
Fern 3:20 PM - 7 January, 2018
i5 2.93ghz 16gb ram Win 10
DJ Tecniq 4:29 PM - 7 January, 2018
Quote:
i5 2.93ghz 16gb ram Win 10
Specs are good has to be a faulty unit. Did you purchase it new?
Fern 4:49 PM - 7 January, 2018
No, I purchased it from a friend, hence trying to find a solution
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:16 PM - 7 January, 2018
how old is the denon unit?

frozen? does that mean you can't get standalone (usb) to work too?

If that's the case - if its under a year you could send it in/ask your friend to return it to store for a warranty repair.

if its outta warranty, you can still have them repair it.
Fern 6:28 PM - 7 January, 2018
My friend bought the unit in July/August 2016, I believe.

So out of warranty now :(

Basically, I cant get it to work in standalone mode either, it just locked out, I can't get into the utility menus.

That's an option, there is a dealer nearby; I was hoping for a quick fix but appears not to be so
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:49 PM - 7 January, 2018
i dont think they included an option to do a hard reset....to do a factory reset you need the screens to work.

you have to make that trip to the shop unfortunately.

do let us know the outcome.
Fern 9:09 PM - 7 January, 2018
I have investigated doing a factory reset and as you suggest it appears it can only be done if the screens are functioning.

I will advise when I have a fix or the shop fixes it and of the cause, if that is discovered.

Many Thanks
deejayayup 10:08 PM - 7 January, 2018
I had the exact same issue a few months back. Does it still work with Serato but the screens are frozen at the MCX8000 stage?

If so, I sent mine to Denon for repair. They couldn't do anything so sent me a brand new unit, which I sold.
khy 1:19 AM - 15 September, 2018
Quote:
Hi

I have been using this unit several times a week with no issues. However just before Christmas the unit crashed whilst I was playing out, unable to get it back up and running I swapped over to my S5.

Having had the chance to get it home and take a look, the unit seems to have completely frozen. I have tried updating the drivers but with no response. I am unable to access utilities so cannot confirm or update the firmware.

Upon switching it on the LCD screens come on with the standard welcome screen and that's it.

Anybody else had this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanking you kind people in advance

same here
khy 1:20 AM - 15 September, 2018
Quote:
I had the exact same issue a few months back. Does it still work with Serato but the screens are frozen at the MCX8000 stage?

If so, I sent mine to Denon for repair. They couldn't do anything so sent me a brand new unit, which I sold.

shoot i'm gonna have to do the same i think. pity, it was pretty great when it worked, even put an innofader in it
khy 1:21 AM - 15 September, 2018
Quote:
I have investigated doing a factory reset and as you suggest it appears it can only be done if the screens are functioning.

I will advise when I have a fix or the shop fixes it and of the cause, if that is discovered.

Many Thanks

that's sucky, there should be a hold button + power option to reset, but i guess there's no onboard memory to load form.
khy 10:41 PM - 18 September, 2018
ah Power on + left Vinyl button!

then after it runs through the demo, power of and on again, this made it work for me.

shots to crazycaig on the mcx8000 forum, support have still not replied.
Mr Wilks 5:08 PM - 26 September, 2018
They are replacing MCX8000 units that are out of warranty with the frozen screen issue as there was a manufacturing issue with them. I saw the post on their forums recently.

It seems they replace the motherboard.
Chino 5:29 PM - 26 September, 2018
Quote:
They are replacing MCX8000 units that are out of warranty with the frozen screen issue as there was a manufacturing issue with them. I saw the post on their forums recently.

I wish inMusic Brand had the decency & basic respect for their customers to acknowledge this highly reported issue back when I owned the MCx8000!!

The CPU in the MCx8000 is similar in specs to a low end tablet. I'm interested to see if Denon releases a MKII Prime version of the MCx8000 with much better hardware specs, no screen freezing or audio distortion issues & improved Engine Prime software.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:35 PM - 26 September, 2018
Quote:

Wonder why they just didn't make it an official recall.
Mr Wilks 9:42 PM - 26 September, 2018
I had a few lock-ups with the screens since new, which was on the launch day here in the UK and a month after the US. I have only had a few issues since (a few more than I'd like though).

This link to JWILL's post gives a little more insight:

Hi Guys,

First off let me say that I am very sorry to hear of your issues with the display lock ups and freezes! As a mobile DJ I know how important it is that we trust the gear we use. It’s unfortunate that such an issue has negatively affected this great product and our brands reputation. At Denon DJ we always strive to push the limits and create the highest quality gear possible.

I can confirm that the new firmware version 2.0 does not resolve screen freezing issues. As others have mentioned it is a hardware related issue but does not affect all users. Display lockups are also not reproducible in all environments.

But there is good news…Recently, we discovered that in certain environments, electro static discharge (ESD) could sometimes cause display lockups. Upon this discovery we were able to make hardware changes and improvements to resolve this issue. If you are still experiencing display freeze issues please contact the support team in your area for service. The MCX8000 shipped with a 3-year warranty so almost everyone still qualifies for warranty service. If you’re outside that window please PM me and I will do what I can to help.

www.denondjforum.com
khy 10:28 PM - 13 March, 2019
Got a replacement unit under the warranty. The left it outside my apartment on a busy corner in Brooklyn, and it got stolen. They sent another unit and it works fine. No issues so far, used it for 2 x 4 hour gigs