Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Still confused over DJM900NXS2 compatibility

Guy Morris 6:10 PM - 4 January, 2018
Ok been on about this before then got busy now its quieter I need to sort as I'm stupid!

As it is 2018 things may have changed since I last asked!

I have 2000 NXS2 players
I have a DJM 900 NXS2 mixer
All units have the latest upgrades. Purchased 2017
Serato DJ upgraded from Scratch in 2017

Normal operation: HID mode via usb with a SL4 box as soundcard (works great)

Required new useage: HID Mode via USB without SL4 Box using DJM 900 NXS2 mixer via USB
(seems NOT to work)

Do I need the club pack upgrade just to use HID with the DJM 900 NXS2?

I only want to use the set up in HID mode NOT using DVS and control cd / vinyl

I get it that if you want to use DVS without the SL4 box you need club pack but does that apply also for HID useage directly connected to the DJM 900 NXS2?

Answers

A) Yes it does mean you need club pack even for HID mode

Or

B) No you don't need Club Pack for HID use

Hopefully I can finally sort this

Thanks and Happy New year!
dj_soo 8:27 PM - 4 January, 2018
B - you only need the serato Dj license to use hid. Dvs pack is only if you want to use timecode
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:33 PM - 4 January, 2018
Quote:
I need to sort as I'm stupid!

now that you've come to terms with this it should be smooth sailing from here on
Guy Morris 9:56 AM - 5 January, 2018
Ha Ha nice one Sparky!

OK it's answer B then. Thanks DJ Soo will be looking at it this weekend. I am a tech provider so on stock there is DJM 800 850 and 900 nxs2 along with 1000 2000 and 2000nxs2 so it went from easy use of SL box and timecode media to HID then another jump bypassing SL with nxs2 (eventually) all the DJ clients are different in what they prefer so I'm trying to keep up with what is required should their be a mismatch I will have a better take on it. From a feedback stance I have found that a lot of guys due to bad compatibility experiences in clubs have gone back to their control media and trusty SL box so that no set up will defeat them although I know when I got to a job in Paris myself (not a club event but BGM mix for corporate) the hired in CDJ2000 did not work with my SL box which then needed an upgrade! so much stuff to consider really that you don't need on an event I guess the golden rule applies everywhere check your versions!

Appreciate your time and will check back for any more comments just in case!
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:02 PM - 5 January, 2018
The hiring dj must have their own Serato DJ license to use your NXS mixer.
By Serato DJ license it means a standalone license the one that is embedded in some controllers e.g. the Rane 62 or DDJ SX.
The one currently being sold for 40 bucks or something by Serato
Guy Morris 3:31 PM - 5 January, 2018
Yes that would be correct Marv, if they have the DJ software then they must it is assumed by default have the Serato licence or it would not work, but also partly why I was questioning if you needed the club pack for HID only use on the NXS2 mixer, so a good point to mention and certainly if they are using DVS then they would need the Club pack DVS licence to use the NXS2 mixer soundcard. A bit of a jigsaw puzzle all this.
Just to confirm it is only the various hardware elements that I hire out not software but I have my own personal serato DJ!

Really non of all this makes for easy sales of the software IMO it needs to be more streamlined and simple there is to much chasing around to see what actually works with what and I like Serato.
popnwave 4:53 PM - 5 January, 2018
It's def set up towards SINGLE users if you get into equipment that needs the Club Kit to work.

If you have multiple people coming in and running SDJ you're going to want all SDJ enabled hardware to avoid this.
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:09 PM - 5 January, 2018
Quote:
The hiring dj must have their own Serato DJ license to use your NXS mixer.
By Serato DJ license it means a standalone license not the one that is embedded in some controllers e.g. the Rane 62 or DDJ SX.
The one currently being sold for 40 bucks or something by Serato

Yeah it's confusing.

Perhaps the SRT will suffice for your customers. Not sure if it's been discontinued though
dj_soo 5:51 PM - 5 January, 2018
Quote:
Yes that would be correct Marv, if they have the DJ software then they must it is assumed by default have the Serato licence or it would not work

most DJs assume that there is a box which doesn't require the paid license. It should be made clear to performers that only the 900NXS2 is installed and that a paid license is required to use the mixer directly.

In my experience, a lot of DJs simply don't understand how Serato's licensing system works and assume it's all going to work like the Rane boxes and get burned when they show up to a gig and there's no box or no plug and play mixer like a 62.
Guy Morris 4:25 PM - 10 January, 2018
Hi guys

Thought I should report back!

There seems to be a 'lost in translation' element going on and it is probably me but it does all make sense after the fact!

I originally asked:

Do you need the club pack for HID useage directly connected to the DJM 900 NXS2?

Answer options

A) Yes it does mean you need club pack even for HID mode

Or

B) No you don't need Club Pack for HID use

I was told answer B! But it seems the confusion is all about the term Serato licence!

I got an alarm bell after Marv and Soo mentioned you need the Serato DJ licence and I assumed that this meant that if you have the play out software then you have the licence so it should work but it seems NO if you want to use the DJM 900 NXS2 you do need to purchase the Club Pack (its really licence)

Its Answer A!

After checking that my Serato DJ and CDJ set up really just did not work when plugged into the 900nxs2 mixer usb port (push to connect did nothing) I then purchased the Club Pack Boom! fast download re-opened SDJ connected to the 900NXS2 and everything then worked as described.

I think Serato need to make this really clear, I watched the various official videos and it talks about Club Pack as if it is an option but it is not, if you want to use the DJM900NXS2 mixer you must buy this CP upgrade to do so, that is all I needed to hear as to then understand that I required this addition to my software.

I hope this discussion helps others understand what is actually needed and thanks to all those for taking the time to take part in my original question!
Guy Morris 4:33 PM - 10 January, 2018
Just to clarify on my comment

If you want to use the DJM900NXS2 mixer directly as your sound card in HID mode (or DVS) you must buy this CP upgrade to do so, that is all I needed to hear as to then understand that I required this addition to my software.

DJM900NXS2 Mixer can of course be used without the Club pack upgrade (only required for the on mixer USB ports) if you have an external soundcard (SL box etc )
dj_soo 8:58 PM - 10 January, 2018
The Club Kit is just the serato Dj license and the dvs plugin bundled at a cheaper price.

Dvs license is only required if you want to use timecode. If youre using HID, you don't need the timecode, you could have just bought the serato Dj license and would have been fine on the 900 and hid so you spent more money for an unneeded plugin.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:05 PM - 10 January, 2018
What he said.

You don't need the Club Kit [Serato DJ Licence + DVS Plug in] if you only need to use the CDJs with the Nexus mixer in pure HID. Obviously if you need to use turntables or older cdjs e.g. 800/1000 You will need the DVS Plug in (to allow you use timecode vinyl or cds)

All you need is the Serato DJ Licence store.serato.com $99 to use the DJM900NXS

That's what I have I don't have the the Club Kit and I dj with that licence regularly. I don't even have a Nexus Mixer. I rock up to a club/pub plug in to their mixer and I'm good to go

Sometimes I have to update the firmware of the club's gear.
Guy Morris 8:39 AM - 11 January, 2018
'All you need is the Serato DJ Licence store.serato.com $99 to use the DJM900NXS'

The perfect answer Marv!

I went for the full licence just so I had everything compatible (Inc DVS since I have Technics may want to dabble) and by luck Serato were doing a limited offer price so a late Christmas present to me!
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:50 PM - 11 January, 2018
Quote:
'All you need is the Serato DJ Licence store.serato.com $99 to use the DJM900NXS'

The perfect answer Marv!

I went for the full licence just so I had everything compatible (Inc DVS since I have Technics may want to dabble) and by luck Serato were doing a limited offer price so a late Christmas present to me!

You are sorted for every possible scenario.