DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How do you deal with Water condensation when working with Turntables?

Despo 3:46 PM - 31 December, 2017
Hey everybody, I have an issue I'd like to discuss with you guys.
I'm a proffessional working DJ, earning my living doing what I love.

I have an issue that I can't find a way to deal with, which has happened only a few times on my gigs and I'd like to know how you guys handle this kind of situation.
Kind of ruins my gig when it happens.

Basically, whenever you DJ in a very warm room, water will form and condensate in and on your turntables under your slipmats. This also happens when you take turntables from a cold storage room directly to the dj booth when you start your set and some dipshit controller dj went on before you and stashed the TTs in the storage.
In the latter case I tried wiping the tables with a towel to no avail, water immediately started forming again after wiping.

I like to scratch and juggle a lot, but I can't really do that when the platter stops whenever you put your hand on the record, please advise :(
Logisticalstyles 11:24 PM - 31 December, 2017
Put silica packets in the cases.
DJ Matty Stiles 12:55 PM - 1 January, 2018
I never heard of this issue. Didn't know it was possible. Silica packets are a good idea tho
Wavespeech 2:36 PM - 1 January, 2018
Condensation is just moisture in warm air hitting a cold surface and forming droplets.

Aclimatize the equipment to the ambient temperature before use.

If not possible, as in the cold storage case. Maybe a fan to blow the moist air away from the cold surface until the decks are warm enough.

If the platters are the main prob, possibly a couple of those crack to use hand warmers if you have time, on the platters before a set to at least get the alu up to temp.
deezlee 10:01 PM - 1 January, 2018
Crazy I've been on turntables for over 24 years and never experienced that problem. I'm in NorCal so the weather's not so extreme I guess.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:06 PM - 1 January, 2018
Never had this problem either and I’ve gone from -10 into a 73 degree room and played.

You should probably set the tables up ahead of time and tell the controller Djs to piss off 😂
slimmjimm 1:30 AM - 2 January, 2018
It’s been in the low single digits all week. Mixer and tables had a 9 day rest in my truck. Gave everything about a half hour last night and all was fine.