Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Turntablist like controller

djwitness 12:55 AM - 27 December, 2017
I am sure there have already been threads about this topic, if it is the case, just advice and I will search some more.
Been dj'ing sine 2000. Learned everything with records, sl-1200, and Vestax mixers, pm5 and pm7.
I stayed on records and 1200's long after serato scratch live came out, and finally jumped to digital with an sl-1.
I bought the Rane TTM-57SL later, but kept working with my 1200's.
After the announced death of the 32bit support, I decided to buy a DDJ-SZ, mainly because of the size of the plates, and all the features.
Sadly, I am a bit deceived. The plates, pads, etc... most of everything works well, except for the crossfader.
Even at the max setting for a scratch-like cut, I am able to cut on/off quicker than it can handle.
My question is to all the scratchers out there. What do you use ? Is it just me that is wayyy too picky ?
I would like to change for what would be the closest to my preferred feeling, but I am afraid I am living in the past :0)
Appreciate your input !!
Thanks
Dave - Dj Witness
dj_soo 1:14 AM - 27 December, 2017
could install an innofader. The SZ cut in for the fader sucks I agree - it's better for other companies.
djcrap 1:39 AM - 27 December, 2017
Quote:
could install an innofader. The SZ cut in for the fader sucks I agree - it's better for other companies.

I installed a innofader pro 2 in my SZ the fader cuts so well to the extent that you can feel the bad the latency of the platters. Meaning the platters are not responsive as they kind of lag behind.

In the other hand I have a Roland dj 808 with a mini innofader plus installed and the platters are super responsive. To me the dj 808 is the closest to the best feel when scratching
DJ Tecniq 2:16 AM - 27 December, 2017
May want to look at the Pioneer utility and read the manual online. Pretty sure you can tweak the xfader cut-in like most Pioneer controllers.
Ardent 5:20 AM - 27 December, 2017
I have to say, that's super weird. I actually use a pioneer SZ and SZ2 on a daily basis and frankly I can do all my cuts.

Perhaps yours may be defective? For your typical club scratching/transition aka chirps, the SZ line delivers. I will also note if you use it often you get used to it and eventually all of your cuts transfer over nicely.

lastly, try lowering your latency a bit below the middle point and if you are running any kind of background applications (WIFI, blutooth, ect) turn them off. See if that helps. One more thing make sure that your fader curve on the actual DDJ SZ and software are set to sharp. Hope the tips help.
dj_soo 5:38 AM - 27 December, 2017
I think those used to the sharp cut on a Rane mixer are going to have problems with the bigger lag in the pioneer mixers. I know it's possible to cut well on those crossfaders as I've seen A-Trak rip it up on a DJM 900, but when your muscle memory is used to the super sharp cut of an innofader or rane fader, it feels like you've forgotten how to scratch when you use a pioneer non-scratch fader.
DJ Tecniq 5:47 AM - 27 December, 2017
Lol You’re welcome 👍🏼
youtu.be
dj_soo 6:05 AM - 27 December, 2017
well shit, never new that existed - wonder if you can do that to their mixers too...
Logisticalstyles 2:55 PM - 27 December, 2017
Quote:
May want to look at the Pioneer utility and read the manual online. Pretty sure you can tweak the xfader cut-in like most Pioneer controllers.

Quote:
Lol You’re welcome 👍🏼

This made a big difference in the crossfader on my SR2.
DJ Tecniq 5:27 PM - 27 December, 2017
Quote:
This made a big difference in the crossfader on my SR2.
Same here i didn’t like the cut-in so had to change it to the sharpest now it’s butter. If i couldn’t tweak that i prob would of sent it back. However I’m really curious what the Mixars Primo will be like as it’s shipping early next year. Aux out and LED indicator is what the SR2 is missing.
Logisticalstyles 5:53 PM - 27 December, 2017
What would you need an AUX output for?
DJ Tecniq 6:33 PM - 27 December, 2017
Quote:
In case Serato freezes which has happened to me before at a gig unfortunately. Aux cord to keep music going. Very handy.
DJ Tecniq 6:33 PM - 27 December, 2017
Aux cord to phone*
DJMIYAGI 7:59 PM - 27 December, 2017
Quote:

To hook up to another mixer
Logisticalstyles 8:25 PM - 27 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
In case Serato freezes which has happened to me before at a gig unfortunately. Aux cord to keep music going. Very handy.

Wouldn't that be an AUX input? And isn't that already included on the SR2 twice? If Serato freezes all you have to do is move the switch to phono/line and play from your phone.

Quote:
Quote:

Can't you do that with the booth output?
DJMIYAGI 8:29 PM - 27 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wouldn't that be an AUX input? And isn't that already included on the SR2 twice? If Serato freezes all you have to do is move the switch to phono/line and play from your phone.

Quote:
Quote:

Can't you do that with the booth output?

Yes. It's just a different option for connectivity
dj_soo 9:03 PM - 27 December, 2017
You already have 3 options covering 3 cable types. What more do you need?
DJ Tecniq 9:07 PM - 27 December, 2017
Good point but if the booth is being used already say as a monitor that’s not gonna work. As for the SR2 it’s already in line position when used as a controller. I’ll have to mess around with it.
DJ Tecniq 9:08 PM - 27 December, 2017
And my bad i meant aux input.
dj_soo 9:14 PM - 27 December, 2017
if it's strictly for emergencies, couldn't you just hook up your phone to one of the channel inputs in audio mode and flip it if something like a crash happens?

In terms of inputs, yea - it would be nice to have a 3rd input for 2x4s. Another thing the Mixars has on the SR2 (other than actually being available to buy).
DJ Tecniq 9:33 PM - 27 December, 2017
Quote:
if it's strictly for emergencies, couldn't you just hook up your phone to one of the channel inputs in audio mode and flip it if something like a crash happens?

In terms of inputs, yea - it would be nice to have a 3rd input for 2x4s. Another thing the Mixars has on the SR2 (other than actually being available to buy).
See I’m curious of this cause if Serato freezes shouldn’t the control freeze as well which would eliminate me being able plug the phone in? Not sure but I’ve had Serato freeze my S9 and I’ve had to use the aux input for my phone to restart the computer.
dj_soo 9:34 PM - 27 December, 2017
shouldn't. The only issue is if you're using a bus-powered controller and need to restart your laptop, then it would lose power. If it's plugged in, it should be fine.

I have had weird issues with my 62 that did require a restart of the mixer, but it's very rare.
Logisticalstyles 9:36 PM - 27 December, 2017
The mixer section is independent of the software as long as you have the power adapter connected. Flipping the switch just sends the audio thru the mixer.
DJ Tecniq 11:58 PM - 27 December, 2017
Quote:
The mixer section is independent of the software as long as you have the power adapter connected. Flipping the switch just sends the audio thru the mixer.
Gotcha lately I’ve just been using the usb cable as it’s less to setup i don’t really use the power adapter unless I’m at a really important gig or something. I’ll make note of this though.