DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

left and right to 1 powered speaker

djjarge 1:15 AM - 19 December, 2017
I have a Mackie pro fx8 mixer. Is it possible to output left and right to a single powered speaker with this mixer?

thanks
dj_soo 9:38 PM - 19 December, 2017
depends on if the powered speaker has more than one input.

But if you're using Serato, you could just set the program to mono output and use a single cable.
O.B.1 10:46 PM - 20 December, 2017
Depending on how you configure the mixer's L+R outputs into a single speaker, you may experience some phasing issues with any of the recorded music's center panned instruments/vocals.

Using the mono output within Serato like DJ Soo suggested is probably best your best bet.
And then run only a single cable (either L or R) into the speaker.

Also depends on what exactly you are trying to achieve here...
djjarge 11:02 PM - 20 December, 2017
Not a big deal. I'm just trying to add a third speaker to my setup. If i just used 1 channel, would it make this channel too dominant in this setup ?

Thanks for the help
pdidy 12:48 AM - 21 December, 2017
Quote:
Not a big deal. I'm just trying to add a third speaker to my setup. If i just used 1 channel, would it make this channel too dominant in this setup ?

If one stereo channel being more dominant than the other is a concern then mono is the best solution. FYI, mono is almost always the best solution for dj purposes.
HighTopFade 1:03 AM - 21 December, 2017
I've been using both L+R booth out to powered speaker (Yamaha DBR) for a monitor. Seems ok. The speaker has L+R RCA inputs so I guess it's made to run both channels.
djjarge 1:26 AM - 21 December, 2017
So, if I ran my track mono to the first speaker and daisy chained the other two from it, I will have the same input on all three.. right? will serato combine left and right tracks in mono mode?

Thanks
djjarge 1:36 AM - 21 December, 2017
Sorry, What I mean is will serato combine left and right tracks to mono in real time instead of me having to convert all my tracks to mono?
pdidy 2:45 AM - 21 December, 2017
Quote:
Sorry, What I mean is will serato combine left and right tracks to mono in real time instead of me having to convert all my tracks to mono?

YES JUST go to settings>mixer tab in serato and switch from stereo to mono, nothing major :)
jonguerrera.com
pdidy 2:47 AM - 21 December, 2017
Quote:
if I ran my track mono to the first speaker and daisy chained the other two from it, I will have the same input on all three.. right?

yes
djjarge 3:19 AM - 21 December, 2017
Thanks so much everyone