Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Unlimited Beat Markers

DJ Marv the Maverick 11:48 PM - 18 December, 2017
Prior to owning the Roland DJ 808 I wasn't too fussed about having a super tight grid. Used to focus only on my mix in point, mix out.

Now with the Roland DJ 808 I've started experimenting with simple redrums using the drum machine.

I ran out of Beat Markers trying to grid an old disco track with wild fluctuations

I will like to request unlimited beat markers.

Its not rocket science to know that its mostly old tracks that will need extra drums. I think it's even one of the marketing pitch of the DJ808.

Running out of Beat Markers is a downer.

Another possible solution will be a standalone app like the "Serato Sample" just for gridding full songs in a non destructive way (i mean not like Ableton)

Perhaps with a better beat detecting algorithm and any thing done in that plug in on a track can be read by Serato DJ
Cwite 12:23 PM - 28 December, 2017
+1, Agree 100%

I don't rely on beat grids, but if you've got the tools then let us use em!

I've run out quite a few times. Mostly on old tracks, but even on modern songs. Ever tried to grid Opus by Eric Prydz??? Good luck with that one :-)
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:04 PM - 28 December, 2017
Currently it's limited to 128 beat warp markers. I asked Serato support already.

The retorted by asking how many would I deem enough...I told them Unlimited but I will take 512 or 1024

I don't even think 128 is enough for a standard single not to mention 12" versions of those funk disco tracks.
Cwite 2:29 PM - 28 December, 2017
128, is that all? Yeah, you are gonna struggle with the funky disco stuff. It's not so bad if you are just concentrating on the intros and outros, but when you are looking to ride a sample in sync perfectly, 128 isn't enough. Hell, markers on the down beats arent enough on their own sometimes! That's a little short sighted on seratos part if they were marketing the rolands to beef up older tracks. There's no workaround for this!
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:57 PM - 28 December, 2017
Quote:
128, is that all? Yeah, you are gonna struggle with the funky disco stuff. It's not so bad if you are just concentrating on the intros and outros, but when you are looking to ride a sample in sync perfectly, 128 isn't enough. Hell, markers on the down beats arent enough on their own sometimes! That's a little short sighted on seratos part if they were marketing the rolands to beef up older tracks. There's no workaround for this!

Yeah sometimes the transients are off too.
But I noticed if you have a beat markers before and after the wonky transients it helps a bit.

Yeah 128 is the limit now.
Douglas Budde 10:32 PM - 6 January, 2018
I think this takes too much time... I usually edit the songs in Mixcraft using the auto warping function; it detect and rearranges the beats automatically...
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:36 AM - 7 January, 2018
Quote:
I think this takes too much time... I usually edit the songs in Mixcraft using the auto warping function; it detect and rearranges the beats automatically...

I've never heard of Mixcraft so I googled it. It's a DAW. I already have Ableton and can warp in that.
I don't want the disco/funk tracks to be rigid.

I want it to retain the original wild variations. You can see the tempo changing in faster areas of the song and if you have the song synced to another gridded track the tempo of the 2nd song moves along with that of the master.

I don't want to remove the funk in the funk.
Marcelo Caetano 12:42 PM - 13 January, 2018
Quote:
Currently it's limited to 128 beat warp markers. I asked Serato support already.

The retorted by asking how many would I deem enough...I told them Unlimited but I will take 512 or 1024

I don't even think 128 is enough for a standard single not to mention 12" versions of those funk disco tracks.

Hi, I strongly support the feature request to increase the number of beat warp markers. I have read people suggest to only add beat warp markers to the beginning and end of a track. I think this suggestion assumes you only need the markers to mix in/out.

However, I have been incorporating disco/funk songs into my sets and beefing them up with looped electronic beats throughout. In that case,128 beat warp markers is clearly not enough since it spans roughly only a little over 4 minutes (128 bars at around 120 bpm.) By that logic, you'd need at least 256 markers/bars for the average track length of around 8 minutes. Please note that a 16-minute track such as Donna Summer's I Feel Love would require around 512 markers.

Therefore, I'd say 256 is the absolute minimum and 512 would be ideal (assuming you only need to mark the downbeat.)

Thank you very much for the possibility to request features.
Fl!ped 3:31 PM - 9 September, 2018
more urgently, have some live salsa medleys that need way more markers! +1
maumaumau 1:53 PM - 12 September, 2018
+1
Draven1327 10:13 PM - 10 October, 2018
pleeeaaasssseee!!!! +1
166 7:26 PM - 19 October, 2018
good idea!!!
acemc 1:13 PM - 11 November, 2018
+1 for more markers!!
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 7:52 PM - 9 December, 2018
+1 on unlimited beat markers!!!!
steven wynen 11:27 PM - 28 January, 2019
+1
05spoof 5:04 AM - 29 January, 2019
Quote:
Prior to owning the Roland DJ 808 I wasn't too fussed about having a super tight grid. Used to focus only on my mix in point, mix out.

Now with the Roland DJ 808 I've started experimenting with simple redrums using the drum machine.

I ran out of Beat Markers trying to grid an old disco track with wild fluctuations

I will like to request unlimited beat markers.

Its not rocket science to know that its mostly old tracks that will need extra drums. I think it's even one of the marketing pitch of the DJ808.

Running out of Beat Markers is a downer.

Another possible solution will be a standalone app like the "Serato Sample" just for gridding full songs in a non destructive way (i mean not like Ableton)

Perhaps with a better beat detecting algorithm and any thing done in that plug in on a track can be read by Serato DJ

Grid the bars you mix and grid every 2-4 bars on parts that are not being mixed. Many times they'll align about right.
djhugofrinzi 7:29 PM - 12 September, 2019
+1
Bornd Fono 3:30 PM - 14 September, 2019
+1
ogenic 10:57 AM - 25 August, 2020
100%
nilre 12:27 PM - 2 October, 2020
+1
DJ Surda 10:27 AM - 16 October, 2020
+1
Another simple feature Serato is unbelievable missing.
Marc Löffler 9:04 PM - 9 April, 2021
+1
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 1:25 AM - 13 April, 2021
+1