Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

macOS High Sierra: anyone tested Scratch Live?

derbYstar 12:06 PM - 14 December, 2017
I know it isn't official support. but I use both a lot scratch live (SL1) & serato DJ (InMixer).
So Scratch Live didn't work well on El Capitan but on Sierra it works well.
I read that apple change again some important things for audio-equipment on latest 10.13.2.

so did anyone tested scratch live on macOS High Sierra?
DjSyndic8 4:42 PM - 14 December, 2017
Quote:
I know it isn't official support. but I use both a lot scratch live (SL1) & serato DJ (InMixer).
So Scratch Live didn't work well on El Capitan but on Sierra it works well.
I read that apple change again some important things for audio-equipment on latest 10.13.2.

so did anyone tested scratch live on macOS High Sierra?

use at own risk
derbYstar 5:40 PM - 14 December, 2017
its not on the risk. there is no risk.
its just about if it works. that was the only question.

i like scratch life more, because of the minimalism. an the more performance. i got serato DJ with a some plugins parallel too.
if you are an oldschool-dj who only use it to load tracks and use dicer – its perfect. or i have some dj-pupils which didnt have that lot of money, but which are real good DJs.

anyway: i dont want do discuss that, just want a experience to save time.

p.s.: there a lot of DJs who love there old mixers, and there is no real reason why they couldnt work with it – its just policy but no reason.
Scott Campbell 9:29 PM - 14 December, 2017
I have a friend using Scratch Live on High Sierra with no issues at all. He has been using if for several weeks 4 nights a week with no crashes or issues. He has a Rane 62 and 2 1200's on a new 2017 MBP.
DJ Tecniq 10:32 PM - 14 December, 2017
Quote:
I have a friend using Scratch Live on High Sierra with no issues at all. He has been using if for several weeks 4 nights a week with no crashes or issues. He has a Rane 62 and 2 1200's on a new 2017 MBP.
That’s what’s so interesting to me even though it’s not supported anymore it works with current OS still. I guess Scratchlive was really rock solid that is the proof right there. If we could only get Serato DJ on that level we’d be in business. I keep reading problem after problem w/High Sierra... #longlivessl
derbYstar 11:24 AM - 15 December, 2017
nice. thank you.
RyanC721 3:02 PM - 16 December, 2017
how can I get SSL on my high Sierra?
RyanC721 3:08 PM - 16 December, 2017
my installation fails every time
deejay_buddha 12:38 AM - 17 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
I guess Scratchlive was really rock solid that is the proof right there.

Man I'd love to agree with that statement. It's not the case at all.

The reality of it is, to get ScratchLive to run on anything past Mavericks requires workarounds. It wasn't the most stable software, I've had issues with all the versions. Not to say that Serato DJ is any better, I'm afraid to upgrade my buggy version (1.9.7) on MacOS Sierra because I know there's issues beyond that version I can't live with. But I wouldn't chance playing live with something I had to use workaround to get running (somehow betas are safer, and if you've ever installed one, even Serato doesn't recommend using it in a performance scenario..... on the splash screen no-less).

The bottom line is, at some point, and sad to say it, but software upgrades are designed to date the hardware we sometimes hold so close (I have an SL1, and 2 TTM 57's I don't / can't use anymore on my latest Macbook Pro, but works wonderful on my 2012 Macbook Pro that I refuse to upgrade beyond Mavericks).

I use my DDJ-SZ on Sierra with Serato DJ 1.9.7 and it runs well enough ... well I trust it not to crash entirely lol....

If you can live with Mavericks, you'll be fine with your old hardware.
Adellio 7:30 AM - 17 December, 2017
serato Dj not support on high Sierra with Serato Rane SL 2
Scartch live work perfect....
LoLyfe 2:16 AM - 28 February, 2018
Quote:

is there anything specific that needs to be done to get SSL to work on High Sierra? I've been holding off from upgrading or 3 years...still on Yosemite.
pdidy 3:47 AM - 28 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

is there anything specific that needs to be done to get SSL to work on High Sierra? I've been holding off from upgrading or 3 years...still on Yosemite.

You've been a forum member as long as me, why would you want to take that risk?
LoLyfe 12:20 PM - 28 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You've been a forum member as long as me, why would you want to take that risk?

Lol you are right but there are other underlying reasons not Serato related. I am a Creative Director by day and Adobe's 2018 version doesn't work on Yosemite. I use 2018 in my office so anything I do at home has to be down converted and all embedded assets lose their links.

The very reason why I stayed on Yosemite this long is my TTM57 at one bar is still being used by me.
Tomixxx 6:44 PM - 28 February, 2018
As as I know MacOS High Sierra is the last Apple Os Scratch Live runs. The successors of High Sierra will only support 64 Bit apps like Serato DJ Pro
gjerrus 9:29 PM - 22 October, 2018
Quote:
As as I know MacOS High Sierra is the last Apple Os Scratch Live runs. The successors of High Sierra will only support 64 Bit apps like Serato DJ Pro

Just wanted to say thanks to Tomixxx and all the other guys out there with helpful info. Ive been DJing a long time all over, & my technics have given out. My buddy fixes turns but won't be around for a good while.

i can't wait, so reluctantly I grabbed a pioneer SX3 controller.. Required specs are OS High Sierra. Now I'm thinking about grabbing another computer cause I don't think scratch live works with all OS & I don't want to update my macbook 11'. I use everything but can only use SSL at 3 clubs I play at w some regularity. So I'm trying to figure it out on the fly.

I'll just say this.. some of you need to get off your high horse w the SSL judgment. Yes we know it isnt supported & old, but there are many situations for 1 reason or other it is still being used.

Thanks to all the DJs & tech nerds for their open support on this forum. I remember when serato 1st came out.. This forum saved me

Anybody w advice for my update dilemma please chime in!
dj_soo 10:29 PM - 22 October, 2018
while the min specs support newer OSs, there are plenty of DJs using older versions of OSX with no problems with the latest version of SDJ Pro and newer controllers. I'd keep your laptop on yosemite and see if it works out before updating and potentially losing out on scratchlive support if you still need to use it.

Personally, I haven't opened scratchlive in years, but I still keep an older OS just for stability's sake.
Mr. Goodkat 10:36 PM - 22 October, 2018
ssl works in sierra with a rane 62
Logisticalstyles 12:42 PM - 23 October, 2018
Quote:

It also works with High Sierra. It's strange because I can never get a 62 to work with SDJ or SDJ Pro on my laptop but if I open SSL then the 62 works with no issues.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 6:33 PM - 23 October, 2018
I ported ITCH through SSL via SDJ. Works like a beaut.
Mr. Goodkat 6:48 PM - 23 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

It also works with High Sierra. It's strange because I can never get a 62 to work with SDJ or SDJ Pro on my laptop but if I open SSL then the 62 works with no issues.

me too, my decks spin backwards.

honestly im fine with ssl and it sounds better/the autogain actually works
gjerrus 5:21 AM - 30 October, 2018
Quote:
while the min specs support newer OSs, there are plenty of DJs using older versions of OSX with no problems with the latest version of SDJ Pro and newer controllers. I'd keep your laptop on yosemite and see if it works out before updating and potentially losing out on scratchlive support if you still need to use it.

Personally, I haven't opened scratchlive in years, but I still keep an older OS just for stability's sake.

you the man bro
gjerrus 5:28 AM - 30 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I had the same issue in Aug as well. Was asked to be a guest on a 62 up in SF, CA. Had the prime time slot 12:30-2am. Showed up 20 mins prior to get situated.. at the time I had SDJ ready to go. Plugged in twice and NOTHING happened. Loaded up my SSL, plugged in, virtual decks popped up and I was ready to go. I mostly run SDJ Pro now but that was the reason for my High Sierra question. I DO NOT want to get rid of my SSL.
gjerrus 5:35 AM - 30 October, 2018
I went out and bought a newer back up MacBook last week. It currently runs Mojave. I called Apple support and she told me they will help me down grade to High Sierra when I have time. In the meantime Ive had a couple off site gigs & used my older 2011 running Yosemite. My last gig was in Palm Springs CA. I used my Pioneer SX3 controller w my older computer w little to no problems.

Just a little fyi for all my guys out there trying to figure it out.
gjerrus 7:19 PM - 30 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I guess Scratchlive was really rock solid that is the proof right there.

Man I'd love to agree with that statement. It's not the case at all.

The reality of it is, to get ScratchLive to run on anything past Mavericks requires workarounds. It wasn't the most stable software, I've had issues with all the versions. Not to say that Serato DJ is any better, I'm afraid to upgrade my buggy version (1.9.7) on MacOS Sierra because I know there's issues beyond that version I can't live with. But I wouldn't chance playing live with something I had to use workaround to get running (somehow betas are safer, and if you've ever installed one, even Serato doesn't recommend using it in a performance scenario..... on the splash screen no-less).

The bottom line is, at some point, and sad to say it, but software upgrades are designed to date the hardware we sometimes hold so close (I have an SL1, and 2 TTM 57's I don't / can't use anymore on my latest Macbook Pro, but works wonderful on my 2012 Macbook Pro that I refuse to upgrade beyond Mavericks).

I use my DDJ-SZ on Sierra with Serato DJ 1.9.7 and it runs well enough ... well I trust it not to crash entirely lol....

If you can live with Mavericks, you'll be fine with your old hardware.

You probably have realized by now that SSL works beyond Mavericks. I used it sometimes on Yosemite, have been told and read on multiple forums SSL works fine on High Sierra. I know its been a while, but just a nugget/ fyi.
Nero Switch 12:56 PM - 13 December, 2018
Hello, I tried to install Scratch Live for my TTM57SL in MacOs Mojave, with the csrutil disable command (in the terminal in the recovery mode (cmd+ R when you reboot your Mac)) and it's workin' good !

Here my specs :

MacBook Pro (Retina 13", early 2015)
Processor 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
Ram 8 Go 1867 MHz DDR3
GPU Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 Mo
gjerrus 10:44 PM - 19 December, 2018
Quote:
Hello, I tried to install Scratch Live for my TTM57SL in MacOs Mojave, with the csrutil disable command (in the terminal in the recovery mode (cmd+ R when you reboot your Mac)) and it's workin' good !

Here my specs :

Ram 8 Go 1867 MHz DDR3

Thats crazy Nero.. I have both scratch live, DJ, & DJ Pro on my 2011 MacBook, because a few old school bars/clubs I play require I use scratchlive. But on my new MacBook I don't even bother. Its completely out dated, not supported and I read on Apple that they aren't even making any 32-bit computers anymore so its a wrap. Lol. So if I need it I have it & everything I download in serato (cue points, loops, color codes, notes) updates in scratchlive anyway. But I'm not putting any extra effort or time into trying to use scratchlve. Sucks too because I have a 57. But I also have a Pioneer SX3 so Ive had to grow w the times.
Nero Switch 11:34 AM - 9 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Here my specs :

Ram 8 Go 1867 MHz DDR3

Thats crazy Nero.. I have both scratch live, DJ, & DJ Pro on my 2011 MacBook, because a few old school bars/clubs I play require I use scratchlive. But on my new MacBook I don't even bother. Its completely out dated, not supported and I read on Apple that they aren't even making any 32-bit computers anymore so its a wrap. Lol. So if I need it I have it & everything I download in serato (cue points, loops, color codes, notes) updates in scratchlive anyway. But I'm not putting any extra effort or time into trying to use scratchlve. Sucks too because I have a 57. But I also have a Pioneer SX3 so Ive had to grow w the times.

I'm agree with you, I have a seventy two now and I use DJ pro, it's just in case, if anyone can't buy a mixer ( because it's so expensive) and have a old mixer, he can install it with the news MacOs, I'm 20 and I don't have some money, I have the luck to buy a 72 because I've worked hard for. But I think there is some people in the same case than me. (sry for my bad English dude)
AdamWhite 1:20 PM - 17 October, 2019
Quote:
my installation fails every time

Did you ever get around this?
DJ JulioYEG 6:58 PM - 17 October, 2019
it fails but will still be in ur apps if that makes sense at,east it was for me. I still use ssl even on sierra
gjerrus 9:39 PM - 20 December, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here my specs :

Ram 8 Go 1867 MHz DDR3

I'm agree with you, I have a seventy two now and I use DJ pro, it's just in case, if anyone can't buy a mixer ( because it's so expensive) and have a old mixer, he can install it with the news MacOs, I'm 20 and I don't have some money, I have the luck to buy a 72 because I've worked hard for. But I think there is some people in the same case than me. (sry for my bad English dude)

I hope your hard work is paying off bro! No worries on your English. You speak just fine. Its better than my Spanish. I understand not having money to buy the newest equipment. I just decided to invest in myself. I put together a business plan in order to get the equipment I need. I am going to put my equipment to work for me. If you have a business bro, you can buy the equipment, then write off your expense on your taxes. So you can get the money back. Good luck man.. and to all the dj's out there working hard to get it in 2020!!
Bluerose555 4:08 AM - 28 December, 2019
Quote:
again

Can you help me out? I have a 2011 MacbOOk with High Siera (10.13.6) but cant seem to get any of the SSL downloads to install. Is there a particular version that works for the OS I am running?
DJ Tecniq 5:27 PM - 28 December, 2019
Quote:
Can you help me out? I have a 2011 MacbOOk with High Siera (10.13.6) but cant seem to get any of the SSL downloads to install. Is there a particular version that works for the OS I am running?
From what I’ve heard SSL only works in Sierra “not” High Sierra. But maybe someone can chime in.
metroplex2005 6:49 PM - 28 December, 2019
I am on Mojave 10.14.6 on my macbook air 2017, 13". Its workin fine with my TTM57SL, no problems.
You just have to disable system integrity protection before installing ScratchLive.

www.macworld.com

After the install and first run with the TTM you can enable the protetion again.

Do not update to Catalina.