DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

is it a good/bad idea to back up my mp3 files on google drive? wi

DJLatina 2:53 AM - 13 December, 2017
if i upload mp3s onto google drive to make sure i have my music backed up on the cloud and then download my mp3s from google drive will the sound/file quality be comprised?
AddamXavier 5:14 AM - 14 December, 2017
No, the quality won't be compromised. I use OneDrive for syncing between my computers and all cloud systems will give you the file back in the same quality you put it in.
DJ Frank Stallone 1:00 AM - 23 July, 2018
Hey Addam,
I started using Onedrive also and its seems like a good solution except:
1) Disappearing cues,grids,loops(rarely) color code stays the same though- songs get reanalyzed it seems
2) If I add music on a different PC to Onedrive, does it need time to copy to laptop before i can add it to my Serato library?
AddamXavier 1:36 AM - 23 July, 2018
Quote:
Hey Addam,
I started using Onedrive also and its seems like a good solution except:
1) Disappearing cues,grids,loops(rarely) color code stays the same though- songs get reanalyzed it seems
2) If I add music on a different PC to Onedrive, does it need time to copy to laptop before i can add it to my Serato library?

1) You might be overwriting metadata if you don't let the files fully sync before changing them. In those cases, there typically are duplicate files in the folder since OneDrive is pretty good at duping the file if there are conflicts.
2) Yes, the files essentially pull from the cloud, so it'll need time to download/upload files if you've updated on a different machine. You can use the OneDrive icon to determine what it's down or uploading. Also note that if you are using the newest Windows 10 update, you'll need to make sure that the "Files On-Demand" (more info here: support.office.com) is off or you may be seeing the files, but they wouldn't be downloaded.
DJ Frank Stallone 1:59 AM - 23 July, 2018
Thank you. That makes sense. I appreciate your response.
pdidy 2:27 AM - 23 July, 2018
It's only a bad idea if it's your ONLY backup.