Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Best Hardware Question

WizB 6:50 PM - 12 December, 2017
Hello Everyone,
I am considering making the move to Serato from Rekordbox (and Traktor before that). I have just sold my Pioneer CDJ 2000 NX2 decks and DJM2000 Nexus mixer. simply because i didnt find them challenging enough (stupid i know).
My question is, what controller (or decks) would be best used with Serato, I love using samples so it needs to support that.
Basically, if money was no object, which hardware would you use? :)
Thanks in advance
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:04 PM - 12 December, 2017
Roland DJ 808 (since you are after a new challenge you can mess with the drum kit)

Pioneer DJ SZ2 is Pioneers flagship Serato DJ controller (familiar layout to the gear you sold) and can work with Rekordbox DJ should you decide Serato doesn't suit you.
RR437T 10:07 PM - 12 December, 2017
Quote:
Roland DJ 808 (since you are after a new challenge you can mess with the drum kit)

Pioneer DJ SZ2 is Pioneers flagship Serato DJ controller (familiar layout to the gear you sold) and can work with Rekordbox DJ should you decide Serato doesn't suit you.

I agree. I believe those are your 2 best options. But if cost is no object, you might as well get an S8 so you don't miss a feature.
WizB 9:27 AM - 13 December, 2017
808 and S8 are overkill I think. SZ2 looks good.
Anyone had a play with the Denon Prime range with Serato yet?
R-A-C 11:07 PM - 14 December, 2017
if sound quality matters to you get an SL2/3/4 and for controlling use any midi controller you like. in that case you also have free choice regarding the mixer.
such modular setups offer the max. flexibility as well as the best quality. assuming that you've chosen proper devices.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:51 AM - 15 December, 2017
Quote:
808 and S8 are overkill I think. SZ2 looks good.
Anyone had a play with the Denon Prime range with Serato yet?

I've got the Prime set up, you previously owned a Nexus set up, I don't see what else the Prime brings to the table if you are planning to use with Serato that you couldn't have achieved with adding the Pioneer DDJ SP1 to your Nexus set up.
The compared to using it as standalone or even other controllers/decks the jogs not properly tight with Serato. Maybe I need to dive into the settings of the Prime to see if I can adjust latency 🤷‍♂️

Why do you say the 808 is an overkill? I haven't gotten into using the drumkit section yet but I know it's there if I need too.

The 808 is a fine controller. Sound is pristine and punchy. Jog wheels are super tight.

Quote:
if sound quality matters to you get an SL2/3/4 and for controlling use any midi controller you like. in that case you also have free choice regarding the mixer.
such modular setups offer the max. flexibility as well as the best quality. assuming that you've chosen proper devices.

Will you not need to map "any midi controller" if you decide to go this suggested route. Every one knows how difficult it is to map non official jogwheels.
R-A-C 4:58 PM - 15 December, 2017
Quote:
Will you not need to map "any midi controller" if you decide to go this suggested route. Every one knows how difficult it is to map non official jogwheels.

sure, if you're a heavy jog user that might be a problem. however, no solution is perfect which is why i said that this is the way to go if sound quality has priority.
Aptidda 7:21 PM - 15 December, 2017
Rane Seventy Two / Shure m447's/ Technics 1200's
WizB 12:44 PM - 16 December, 2017
Quote:
I've got the Prime set up, you previously owned a Nexus set up, I don't see what else the Prime brings to the table if you are planning to use with Serato that you couldn't have achieved with adding the Pioneer DDJ SP1 to your Nexus set up.

You hit the nail on the head there... I shouldn't have sold my Nexus kit and just added the SP1. Massive mistake there on my part. Might just get the XDJ1000 decis and any Nexus mixer and add the SP1. I can't bring myself to buy a controller, not sure why LOL
R-A-C 3:36 PM - 17 December, 2017
Quote:
I can't bring myself to buy a controller, not sure why LOL

your instincts are right. if you had a modular setup before any controller would be a downgrade.
technically as well as sound and flexibility wise.
NUdisc0 3:43 PM - 17 December, 2017
Denon Prime. Cant attest for its reliability and software stability in the field, but featurewise it is ahead of the Nexus set up.