DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Gear needed for 350 people party

DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 5:44 AM - 1 December, 2017
Hi guys,

Need your advice on gear needed for next gig.

I currently have an ekx setup of two 12p and two 18sp (used to have three subs but traded them in for two zxa1 12 inches for smaller gigs we have). Also will have accès to two of the 4 QC k8s we have as the other set and one 12sub will be used at another small 60 person gig.

Ive done a 225 people wedding gig with 3 ekx18sp, two ekx12 tops and two k8 for fill and while it sounded good at one point we had to lower the subs to -3 cuz they were clipping. (Have yet to be able to clip the ekx tops when used with a sub!)

Before anyone asks, always used the live setting and crossed over with the appropriate attached speaker, in dsp setting it shows which speaker being used.

We now have a 350 person gig coming up, a corporate Xmas party that booked me because they heard how well I did with that ekx setup and 150 people.

So questions are, I can rent an etx kit of two etx18sp and two etx12p for a good price, will the combination of these two systems be enough? If yes how would u set them up?
I personally would put the four subs in a row in front of the DJ booth, the etx12p on side of DJ booth facing dance floor ,the ekx12p further back on side of booth facing out to guests, while a pair of k8s at opposite ends hooked up wirelessly for room fill during speeches.

If not enough, what do you recommend?

I don’t know how some people say the ekxs alone could do that many people! Not unless it was for older lower music, but if going to have 200 or more people actually dancing need a lot more.

Yes I find the ekx subs clip very quick but I’ve seen the kw181 be used at a gig and it was about 225 people and they were clipping all night with soca music.

Just for references, I have a numark nv going to a behringer board (we do a lot of karaoke so needed more mic inputs occasionally), then to the subs.

Thanks in Advance for any help.
Kevin
dj_soo 9:30 AM - 1 December, 2017
you generally don't want to mix and match subs of different types - even if coming from the same company. Different subs have different frequency profiles and mixing and matching them can cause muddiness, frequency cancellation, and the like.

350 people all dancing at once is very different from 350 people at a wedding or corporate event where not everyone is on the dancefloor.

If you can get 4 of the ETX subs that would probably be ideal.

Keep in mind that the limit signal in EV gear is more of a warning than anything and you should be able to comfortably push into the limit signal without much issue - just keep it from clipping.

Another thing to consider is just getting a different brand of sub. I'm assuming you're in Montreal due to your username. Go to your local Long & Mcquade and try to grab a pair of the LS2100Ps and run them under the ETX tops maybe and that should be plenty for 350 people. Big and heavy tho and they won't sound quite as nice as the EV subs, but will produce way more volume and throw.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 3:41 PM - 1 December, 2017
Thanks for the reply dj_soo.

While I have minivan I’m not sure I’d fit two ls2100ps even if the price really is good. The price of one of them is the same as one etx.

I’m going to call the other rental place back and see if they rent ekx as well. Would 4 ekx 18s coupled together in front of booth give enough bass for the 300 or so dancing guests? In past I’d always spaced out the subs but I’m reading up more on coupling them.

Also are etx tops really that strong that only one on each side and then the ekx 12s for fill is enough?

Would two ekx 12 on each side of booth, pointed at least 90 degrees apart to avoid the speakers fighting each other, would be enough?

Thanks again
dj_soo 9:53 PM - 1 December, 2017
one 2100 performs about the same as 2 ETX's in volume (if not 3) so there is that - but I was suggesting renting them - not buying them as they are massive, heavy (200lbs!), and expensive and L&M rentals are dirt cheap.

I don't have extensive experience with the ETX tops, but for the class it's in, it should keep up fine as they do have a 90 degree dispersion unless you're working in a really wide room. If you're looking at a long room requiring lots of throw, you may want to look at a top with a larger high frequency voice coil. Something like the RCF ART 745, the JBL SRX 812P, the Yamaha DSR 12, or the Yorkvile EF12P (also rentable from l&m).

In terms of horizontal coverage, these 2-way boxes aren't really meant to be arrayed like that and the 3-way tops like the ETX 35Ps are more designed to be horizontally arrayed. Even going 90 degree separation you're going to run the risk of lots of comb filtering. I would think a pair of EKX12Ps should be good unless you're going for that full-on, back-of-the room filling club sound which you generally don't need for a corporate event. The side fills will probably be better for coverage for dinner and speeches and not that necessary for the dancing unless all 350 people are dancing at once.
dj_soo 9:55 PM - 1 December, 2017
another set of subs to consider would be the JBL SRX828s which are considered the best bang for buck subs in that price range.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 3:17 PM - 2 December, 2017
Yeah the place we rent has these also, and one of them is cheaper than two etx18sp. Will two of these out perform four etx? Also it’s only 2000watts peak vs 1800 watts peak for one etx. So it seems it’s crazy efficient
Thoughts?
dj_soo 9:13 PM - 2 December, 2017
Listed wattage is pretty meaningless these days and tells you little in terms of real world performance. I haven't had experience with the srx but going off user reviews in this forum, it's a pretty fantastic sub.
djvtyme85 4:50 AM - 4 December, 2017
I can tell ya even with the etx setup you spoke of you'd be underwhelmed by it's performance. Also, never mix and match subs. I've personally used 4 ekx 15 tops and 4 etx 18 subs for 300 people. Sounded good. But the subs although not pushed hard got really hot and we had to dial them back, very disappointing but not surprising. They made it thru the night, but next time I would use Yorkville's instead. The etx sound better but the Yorkville's out power it 2 to 1 without running so hot.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 9:41 AM - 4 December, 2017
Called our local long and mcquades and both only carry yorkville ps18’s. No es no ls at all.

Almost had a chance at two jbl srx828 but one is blown and other option was two rcf8006as buyout of our price and size. Would need a cube van for those.
dj_soo 11:08 AM - 4 December, 2017
those rcfs are insane tho.
dj_soo 11:09 AM - 4 December, 2017
The PS18Ss are ok. Not as loud as the LS801s, but they have a nice tone to them. A pair should probably handle 350 although you might be getting to the limit if the dancefloor is huge.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 1:03 PM - 4 December, 2017
It seems the etx and ps have the same specs spl wise and about same wattage so not sure why 2etx not enough but 2 ps ok?

Also djvtyme that’s an insane setup for 300 people how did u have the ekx15p setup? Any comb filtering as others talk of?

Really wish had the space and money to get the rcf line array set. But would mean renting a bigger truck.

Seems jbl might be a cost effective line array for future.

I’ve always preferred the sound of ev over qsc or jbl which is why I bought ekx after some a/b but didn’t check out srx line or line array.

And sucks that L&m here don’t rent bigger gear cuz yes they are cheaper to rent
dj_soo 11:33 PM - 4 December, 2017
2 etx is fine too but might be pushing it if all 350 are on the floor. 4 is always better than 2.

The etx are known to limit pretty early tho.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 9:07 AM - 5 December, 2017
Thanks well I’m going to have two etx and my two ekx, going to put all four together and lower the etx to match mine but with coupling should give out enough bass to dance floor. Worse case is that the bass won’t be overpowering like I wanted and will just fill room.
dj_soo 10:19 AM - 5 December, 2017
subs need to be identical to get the benefits of coupling.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 10:22 AM - 5 December, 2017
This I understood but can’t rent four etx nor two more ekx. Would have rented two srx828. But only has one.

So besides putting the etx front and centre where would u put The ekx subs?
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 8:27 PM - 10 December, 2017
so an update from the party.
i setup the stacks of ekx12p over ekx18sp and then added the etx subs inside them towards dance floor.
i did have a set of qsc k8's beside the ekx12's for side fill.

outside of two songs where i wondered what happened to the bass, sounded punchy but no deep bass, maybe some cancelation, it sounded extremely deep and loud.

this hall was a 45 x 95 ft room with 25 ft ceilings and we were setup on a stage along the 45 ft side. due to multiple doors on both long sides, we could not setup the k8's further down, even wirelessly with delay like we had hoped...it would have helped during speeches.

the bass with a full packed 24*24 ft dance floor and people filled off to the sides was insane. it rattled the chandeliers....which i like...but there was way too much echo in this room that honestly im not sure how i could have overcome, and that will probably be my next post on here.

i had the etx on music setting and the ekx on live (for more headroom) and both crossed over at 80 hz. four etx would have been overkill for sure. im sold on the sound of ev, that warm bass that just fills u. yes some other bandpass boxes output more but a slot ported box like these should have more usable frequency range.

now if only i had a place to store them so i could buy them and use them regularly.

thanks for the feedback and help on this event
dj_soo 9:40 PM - 10 December, 2017
I kind of feel like a good look for you would be to trade up from your EKX to a pair of ETX18SPs and then be able to rent those additional ones for larger shows.

Keep things consistent and get the added output from the higher level models.

It's obvious the EKX aren't quite what you need in terms of output.

Might even have a listen to the ETX15SP - I've used that a couple of times and they sound great and probably output about the same as a KW181 (and go way lower).
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 2:19 PM - 28 May, 2018
hey guys, I'm back for this same client but now 500 people...we were not given the room dimensions yet but I can report from last year the following

room was 45*100, we were set up on a stage on one of the 45 sides.
high ceilings

we had setup on etx 18 and one ekx 18 on each side of dance floor
along with one ekx12p and one qsc k8 (for side fill) on each side

and while there was a lot of bass, chandelier shaking bass. and the sound was good, about 50ft past dance floor hard to hear voice and if raised volume huge feedback during speeches.

we had not setup an extra set of speakers on each side like planned because there are many doors on both 100ft long sides, either to exit room for guests, or for kitchen staff on other side....tried to find a spot and would have wires on carpet which sucks...

so this year we know room will be bigger, not sure how much and an extra 150-200 people...

at moment we want to rent a much bigger system and have 3 options.
A) From MusicRedOne
2 RCF 8006AS dual 18-2500w RMS subs (one each side)
4 RCF NXL23A 750w RMS line array tops, (two for each side)
rental price $400

B) From MusicRedOne
2 JBL SRX828SP (one each side)
4 JBL SXR815p (2 each side)
Rental price $290

C) From Long & Mcquade
4 Yorkville Es18p 2 each side
4 Yorkville ef15p 2 each side
Rental price $212 + 98 reservation fee a week before

now no matter what none of this will fit in my grand caravan, and we have two of them now but renting out a mirror booth so that takes up one of them with all its setup

I have a few questions, will the srx15p throw as far as the rcf? os is it just like my ekx12p?

the yorkvilles have 60*40 angle throw, and I'm reading online that they throw far and shouldn't have much crossover from two on each side

will the rcf's throw far enough and be clear and loud?
are they worth the cost?

your help is much appreciated
Kevin
577er 2:11 AM - 29 May, 2018
Hey Kevin,

Sounds like you are aiming sound down a long narrow room so the NXL23A are not really the ideal speaker as they have a very wide dispersion. The Yorkville would probably be the best bet. Either way having speakers at 50 feet out delayed would help with the clarity issue. Proper mic placement and EQing would help with the feedback. How are you routing the mics currently?
dj_soo 7:28 AM - 29 May, 2018
I've heard the Yorkville ES tops limit really early - considering how expensive and how highly rated the power is. I've also heard you can ride into limiting pretty far without audible change, but it's a little disconcerting.

The subs are the truth tho. ES18P is basically a slightly louder LS801P that actually sounds good. I still think the EVs have the edge in sound quality, but it's a huge improvement over the LS801P. SRX828s are going to go way lower tho.

I think both the SRX and Yorkville tops should throw pretty far given the 3" high freqeuency voice coil, but the RCF will probably beat them just due to being line arrays.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 3:32 PM - 29 May, 2018
Quote:
Hey Kevin,

Sounds like you are aiming sound down a long narrow room so the NXL23A are not really the ideal speaker as they have a very wide dispersion. The Yorkville would probably be the best bet. Either way having speakers at 50 feet out delayed would help with the clarity issue. Proper mic placement and EQing would help with the feedback. How are you routing the mics currently?

hi 577er, we were using a Shure wireless mic into a Behringer mixer but now we have the QSC touchmix so that could help a lot.
last year we would have like to have speakers about 50 feet down but this hall really had doors the whole length of both sides. very weird. made speaker placement difficult.

Quote:
I've heard the Yorkville ES tops limit really early - considering how expensive and how highly rated the power is. I've also heard you can ride into limiting pretty far without audible change, but it's a little disconcerting.

The subs are the truth tho. ES18P is basically a slightly louder LS801P that actually sounds good. I still think the EVs have the edge in sound quality, but it's a huge improvement over the LS801P. SRX828s are going to go way lower tho.

I think both the SRX and Yorkville tops should throw pretty far given the 3" high freqeuency voice coil, but the RCF will probably beat them just due to being line arrays.

THanks Dj Soo. ive been wanted to try stuff from L&M but I find their reservation policies so bizarre. how can I risk a $2000 gig on showing up at the rental place to see if they have gear? its just not logical. and I could pay an extra $100 a week before to hold the gear. still not guaranteed because others could have rented them for a month at a time.

I use a place that I can reserve ahead of time, and ive bought my gear from them, but they don't have Yorkville. they have EV, JBL and RCF

I may just go with two JBL srx 828sp and two sxr815p for dance floor with a set of ekx 18sp and 12p tops about 20-25 feet further out and then a set of qsc k8 further out for fill

if I can just find a good wireless signal so less XLR cables. one of the DJ sites on youtube suggested using a wireless mic with the lapel box
thoughts?
Taipanic 5:38 PM - 29 May, 2018
I'd recommend the JBL or Yorkville systems over the array for this room. If vocal clarity is important you will need to run delayed tops halfway down the room. bring gaffers tape to tape down the cables and runners to cover the doorways. Make sure you have a way to delay the rear fills. You can turn the fills down or off once the talking portion is over, if you need to. Try to get tops that have delay compensation built in for the rear fills. If not, you will need equipment to do the delay processing.
Taipanic 5:39 PM - 29 May, 2018
Here's a decent article on time aligning delays:
www.sweetwater.com
577er 8:45 PM - 29 May, 2018
You’re choosing from a bunch of good options so you can’t really go wrong. That Touchmix will make all the difference with the mics. Sometimes I prefer using the presets and sometimes I just roll off everything below 120 and above 12K on the mic channels. If you can get a speaker or pair at the end of the room for rear fill that will help with vocal clarity. I use the sennheiser ek & skp system to connect to remote speakers. Works well.
dj_soo 1:31 AM - 30 May, 2018
Quote:
with a set of ekx 18sp and 12p tops about 20-25 feet further out

I'd stick with just the tops delayed. It's a lot harder dialing in subs from a distance where phase cancellation is a larger concern than with tops. Better to keep the bass emanating from one spot and delaying to tops to avoid phasing issues.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 6:26 PM - 14 June, 2018
DJ_Soo,

from L&M, how would you compare the es18p and ef12p combo versus the psa1 and psa2s kits?

I'm really thinking of gambling and getting four es18p with 4 ef12p for the dance floor and using our 4 qsc k8's as fill for voice during speeches and diner.

really wish we had access to a top cabinet that could do 500 people without redlining and not having to put two put extra speakers side by side. but the ef12p at 60 degrees should have too much comb-filtering.
oh and didn't cost 500 to rent. lol

I'm just not sure how the srx815p will be compared to either my ekx12p or the yorkvilles ef12p

anything RCF rents that would work better?

thanks
kevin
577er 2:56 PM - 15 June, 2018
Quote:
DJ_Soo,

from L&M, how would you compare the es18p and ef12p combo versus the psa1 and psa2s kits?

I'm really thinking of gambling and getting four es18p with 4 ef12p for the dance floor and using our 4 qsc k8's as fill for voice during speeches and diner.

really wish we had access to a top cabinet that could do 500 people without redlining and not having to put two put extra speakers side by side. but the ef12p at 60 degrees should have too much comb-filtering.
oh and didn't cost 500 to rent. lol

I'm just not sure how the srx815p will be compared to either my ekx12p or the yorkvilles ef12p

anything RCF rents that would work better?

thanks
kevin

You should be fine covering 500 people with two or more Yamaha DSR115 with sufficient subs. I’ve heard them doubled up side by side with no issues at all.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 3:16 PM - 15 June, 2018
would you compare the srx 812/815p equivalent to the dsr115? and better than the ekx12p?

as for subs, still debating between getting 2-4 es18p or two srx828p, I just find the size of the es18p much easier to fit in the minivan than the srx828p

thanks guys
577er 4:13 PM - 15 June, 2018
The SRX and DSR are very similar in output, the DSR in the U.S. just cost much less. Both are far better than the EKX.

The 828 will go much lower than the es18p.

You just have to decide what you can move.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 5:10 PM - 15 June, 2018
would two srx 815p and two srx828sp be enough with four qsc k8 ( two at 25 ft and two at 50ft) be enough to cover this room? of 100*75

thanks
577er 5:52 PM - 15 June, 2018
Depends on the acoustics of the room but it won’t be at a banging club levels throughout. For a wedding that’s plenty of sound. For a rave... nah.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 5:59 PM - 15 June, 2018
its a corporate xmas party I did last year, dance floor will be about 40*40. rest is tables.

last year with 315 people we have 24*24 dance floor

we had 4 18 (2 ekx and 2 etx) last year with my ekx12 and 2 k8 for the vocal, lots of comb filtering cuz the k8 is 110 degree and ekx 90,

that's why I wasn't sure the 2 srx would be enough and was thinking of the 4 es18p, not a low but one es18p as same output as one srx828sp, so having 4 es18p will shake them to the core, hehe (that's my goal) once the soca and rap start...)

cost wise its actually cheaper for 4 es18, wonder if two ef15p would be enough though.

been wanting to rent that much power for a while
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 6:01 PM - 15 June, 2018
and last year we went to max the subs could handle, had to turn them down cuz were clipping, the big "LIMIT" not the small one.

so figured 4 etx 18 would not be enough, need more
577er 6:11 PM - 15 June, 2018
You might have been haveing undesirable sound due to the dimensions of that room as well. A room with those dimensions is going to have resonance unless the walls are draped.

But anyway those es18s and ef15p should cover an office holiday party of 350 for sure. Any chance you can setup along the middle of the long wall and just use your k8s as side fills? That might help vs being at one end of the room. I’d also try and make sure you are pulling power for the subs from separate electrical circuits so you don’t starve the amps of power.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 6:16 PM - 15 June, 2018
well the party this year in the bigger room is for 500 people,
and for sure the es18p are stronger than what I had last year.

for electricity I for always pull subs separate from rest. unless using one 12 inch ev for very small gigs

I'm hoping for that type of setup...last year I was on the short wall of 45 ft and the room was 90 ft long, but it had doors on each side of the long walls all the way...really sucked...

this year we will see, will call hall and see if they can provide a diagram of the layout in order to accommodate the equipment

thanks for your help 577er, much appreciated.

so would you take the jbl or the Yorkville setup if given the choice between those two?

thanks
577er 6:28 PM - 15 June, 2018
I’d take the yorkvilles if volume is the number one concern. They bang and are are well made.

I would definitely get a layout diagram of the room and your location ahead of time and if you can get there a few hours early play around with he placement of the subs to get the best sound. Try boundary clustering and loading them right up against the wall to see if that helps.
577er 6:29 PM - 15 June, 2018
That should read “clustering and boundary loading”
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 6:30 PM - 15 June, 2018
cool thanks
577er 6:34 PM - 15 June, 2018
Let us know how it goes.
Taipanic 6:47 PM - 15 June, 2018
Quote:
its a corporate xmas party I did last year, dance floor will be about 40*40. rest is tables.

last year with 315 people we have 24*24 dance floor

we had 4 18 (2 ekx and 2 etx) last year with my ekx12 and 2 k8 for the vocal, lots of comb filtering cuz the k8 is 110 degree and ekx 90,

that's why I wasn't sure the 2 srx would be enough and was thinking of the 4 es18p, not a low but one es18p as same output as one srx828sp, so having 4 es18p will shake them to the core, hehe (that's my goal) once the soca and rap start...)

cost wise its actually cheaper for 4 es18, wonder if two ef15p would be enough though.

been wanting to rent that much power for a while

I've done several gigs recently with 4 Yorkville subs for 4-500 people. First two using my JTR Noesis 3TX tops. Subs running about 75%, tops coasting along at about 40%. One gig was an overnight Rave with mostly House Music, the second was a Graduation party with mostly current Hip Hop. They go low enough to be effective for the music you will be playing and big impact is what you are looking for so I would go this route. Try to use as few tops as you can get away with. Running satellite speakers is hard if you don't have the right tools and experience to properly delay them. Bring the extra speakers but set up the two best ones first and see if it covers the back of the room good enough.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 7:07 PM - 15 June, 2018
well we have a qsc touchmix so we should be able to delay pretty well.

but yes would like to limit the usage to as few speakers as possible, just not sure need 4 ef12/15, think could get away with 12's since have subs, and then maybe 4 for dance floor (2 facing out to dance floor and 2 facing sides for crows and 2 k8 further out instead of two at dance floor and 4 k8's

I wish I could upload a drawing on here to show what I mean but should be pretty straightforward...considering I'm like the newbie amongst you all even if been in sound arena for 25 years, lol

thanks again
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 10:52 PM - 1 December, 2018
OK so gig is a week away. Made our reservation for four es18p and four ef12p. The main sound guy at long and mcquade said I would be better off renting the psa1s tops with two on each side, he said that even at 110degree dispersion they will throw further than having two ef12p per side.

Any thoughts?
577er 3:56 PM - 2 December, 2018
I’d agree with him on that.
dj_soo 1:23 AM - 3 December, 2018
Line arrays are designed to throw longer distances. Unless you’re using something like the sanely Jericho horn, line array will almost always win out over a point source speaker in terms of throw.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 3:47 PM - 4 December, 2018
Thanks gentleman,

I thought with the ef12p having the bigger voicecoil and more watts to the horn 300 vs 75would allow it to throw further and go louder.

So would the two psa1s on each side be enough for the 75*100 room?
dj_soo 9:18 PM - 4 December, 2018
You’d want at least two psa1s on either side to reap the benefits of the long throw you get from line arrays as that’s how those speakers are designed.

The psa1s only have a 15 degree vertical dispersion so for only one on each side you’d either have it angled downwards which will reduce the distance coverage angled straight which would reduce the coverage directly in front of the speakers.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 6:09 PM - 5 December, 2018
Right, I am going to try and get those psa1's, two on each side with the four es18p subs in the middle.

I am also bringing the K8 to put on the farthest walls, in case there are sound gaps for the speeches.

thank you for all the help
pdidy 11:12 PM - 5 December, 2018
Quote:
I thought with the ef12p having the bigger voicecoil and more watts to the horn 300 vs 75would allow it to throw further and go louder.

FYI, No horn or hi-frequency driver can handle 300watts without burning up. The 300-500watt in these speaker specs being advertised is marketing bullshit to the unwise. The truth or trick is the 300watts is ONLY the amplifiers wattage and has nothing to do with what the driver can actually handle. In most cases, the hi-freq driver is rated at 50-75watts so the speaker's processing & limiter makes sure this is all the drive actually receives. So basically its just smoke and mirrors to fool you.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 11:15 PM - 5 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

FYI, No horn or hi-frequency driver can handle 300watts without burning up. The 300-500watt in these speaker specs being advertised is marketing bullshit to the unwise. The truth or trick is the 300watts is ONLY the amplifiers wattage and has nothing to do with what the driver can actually handle. In most cases, the hi-freq driver is rated at 50-75watts so the speaker's processing & limiter makes sure this is all the drive actually receives. So basically its just smoke and mirrors to fool you.

Thanks pdidy i do understand that from my car audio years. But a 3 inch voice coil should be able to handle more power than the long time 1inch limit of horns.

So can’t get the psa1 so I’m stuck with the ef12p I’m sure will be ok but not best possible
dj_soo 11:26 PM - 5 December, 2018
I think you'll be fine with the EF12Ps.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 3:46 PM - 31 December, 2018
HI Everyone,

So the event ended up being a success, even if it was the loading from hell, Broken loading dock door so 3 elevators along with going through two kitchens.
Found out that instead of 550 people they would be 350. So we only brought out 2 subs and four tops, all i have to say is two things, wow and damn i need practice on a real mixer.
two subs even with 200 or so people on the dance floor was insane. actually had people saying the bass was insane...
and the tops, project so friggin far, just during mic check, with doors closed, people heard the test in the washrooms over 1000 feet away. insane.
even with the speakers high up, and the feedback suppressor activated on the touchmix, damn people walked right in front of speakers and got feedback uff.
the EF12p are for real, I could not get them to limit, So i have no idea what people are doing to get them to limit early, Had the gain at 12 oclock and could never get my mixers to 0 DB, was way too loud. and I did EQ them a bit for the midrange, but they sounded really really good.
A bit disapointed that I could not test all four subs out, would have been brain rattling. but those ES18P are the loudest I have heard so far. Only once did they start to flash limit and that was during a heavy heavy Bass Soca song, ouff that sounded insane to feel bass like i used to in my car, yet i was in a huge 7,000 sq ft hall.

A big thank you to all of you. I hope my next big gig I can afford to rent JBL SRX828 or the dual 18/21 from RCF to see what its all about, But so far, besides being heavy, those Yorkvilles are awesome, and canadian!