DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best affordable Laptop

DJ Xplosion 2:55 PM - 26 November, 2017
What are the best affordable laptops for using Scratch Live or Serato DJ
Mr. Goodkat 1:27 AM - 27 November, 2017
used MBP 2012 or later
pdidy 2:10 AM - 27 November, 2017
That's easy just Get the 2012 macbook pro, it is by far the most highly recommended laptop EVER for use with Scratch Live or Serato DJ with no close competition......Do a clean install of Yosemite and done....... (warning, do not update past Yosemite without first consulting with trusted users on this forum).
CONFLICT 1:09 PM - 25 October, 2018
Will try
novakone 2:12 PM - 25 October, 2018
Quote:
That's easy just Get the 2012 macbook pro, it is by far the most highly recommended laptop EVER for use with Scratch Live or Serato DJ with no close competition......Do a clean install of Yosemite and done....... (warning, do not update past Yosemite without first consulting with trusted users on this forum).

This.
El cap seems to work well but clean install and 16gb ram + ssd
Comrade Tulayev 4:07 PM - 25 October, 2018
I've got an HP Pavilion, i5, 8Gb RAM, cost me £350, works perfectly. You don't need an expensive Mac.
pdidy 9:26 PM - 25 October, 2018
Quote:
I've got an HP Pavilion, i5, 8Gb RAM, cost me £350, works perfectly. You don't need an expensive Mac.

From a professional DJ perspective, there is NO logical or rational way to compare some random HP Pavilion with a 2012 or later macbook pro. It's like comparing 6yrs of undisputed proven reliability vs "good luck wit that"......lol

A 2012 mbp can be had for less than $400 in great condition if you are willing to do your homework.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 10:54 PM - 25 October, 2018
there is no decent affordable laptop to use with Serato. Its apple or problems, pick your choice and report back ole boy!
Comrade Tulayev 7:12 AM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

From a professional DJ perspective, there is NO logical or rational way to compare some random HP Pavilion with a 2012 or later macbook pro. It's like comparing 6yrs of undisputed proven reliability vs "good luck wit that"......lol

A 2012 mbp can be had for less than $400 in great condition if you are willing to do your homework.

Total nonsense of course.

Mac fan boys are so dull. It ain't the 90s anymore m
pdidy 9:50 AM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Total nonsense of course.

Mac fan boys are so dull. It ain't the 90s anymore m

You're a beginner amateur DJ so I wouldn't expect you to understand quite yet. So my comment is more directed towards the professional DJs who might read this.
Comrade Tulayev 9:52 AM - 26 October, 2018
Been playing for over 20 years.

You're a mac fan boy Nathan Barley wanker.
pdidy 10:13 AM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:

serato.com
hmmm....intresting.
Comrade Tulayev 10:23 AM - 26 October, 2018
Funny innit how you feel the need to insult my DJ ability merely cos I'm pointing out that you're a fashion victim.

Why so defensive? What you scared of?
Comrade Tulayev 10:24 AM - 26 October, 2018
And you went through all my posts! Sad little man, lol
pdidy 10:32 AM - 26 October, 2018
so it appears you have a history of fake outrage and putting on a drama queen routine .....serato.com smh lol
Comrade Tulayev 10:34 AM - 26 October, 2018
So many fragile egos on here, I get the impression you're about 12
pdidy 10:37 AM - 26 October, 2018
Sorry to spoil your fun you probably had a whole bunch of "Mac fan boy" insults ready to regurgitate.......lol
pdidy 10:58 AM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
And you went through all my posts! lol

Yep and your Facebook too..... I like to be thorough when I'm trolling a troll.
novakone 11:20 AM - 26 October, 2018
Well this has all gone totally f***ing Mexico
deejayfatcat 11:57 AM - 26 October, 2018
I’ll second the mid 2012 MBP reccomendation. I bought one used 3 years ago for $450 in perfect condition. I added a data doubler Samsung 500 GB SSD. It runs super fast and super smooth with SDJ and SDJP It even runs SSL with no modifications although I would not expect that in every case.
Comrade Tulayev 3:52 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Your ability to look at information I've chosen to publicly share is second to none. I tip my hat to you.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 3:54 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Amen!
DJ Guayo 5:58 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

serato.com
hmmm....intresting.

Bwahahahah. Pdiddy going in.
Gio Alex 7:08 PM - 26 October, 2018
We're not mac fanboys, we just like reliability. The fact that a 6 year old computer still runs these softwares really well, especially with an SSD installed for like 400-500 bucks says a lot. You could spend the same on whatever PC you listed and will regret it immediately.
DJ Guayo 7:37 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
We're not mac fanboys, we just like reliability. The fact that a 6 year old computer still runs these softwares really well, especially with an SSD installed for like 400-500 bucks says a lot. You could spend the same on whatever PC you listed and will regret it immediately.

This is coming from DJs who initially ran PCs and were in denial about Serato/Scrathlive and macbook pros. Hell even JohnnyM eventually converted over to the dark side. I still have a 2009 Macbook pro that runs ScratchLive no issues on Yosemite.
Gio Alex 7:47 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

This is coming from DJs who initially ran PCs and were in denial about Serato/Scrathlive and macbook pros. Hell even JohnnyM eventually converted over to the dark side. I still have a 2009 Macbook pro that runs ScratchLive no issues on Yosemite.

EXACTLY!

If JohnnyM switched that says a whole lot! lol
pdidy 9:51 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

EXACTLY!

If JohnnyM switched that says a whole lot! lol

YEA JohnnyM was Gold Member status when it came to "Mac Holdouts" opposed to making the switch to Mac. Ironically his first Mac was a 2012MBP which he has put to heavy Professional use at major events that he now DJ's and promotes with other well known dj's. JohnnyM is respected for "Knowing his shit" in regard to PC's so yes that does say a lot.
pdidy 9:57 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your ability to look at information I've chosen to publicly share is second to none. I tip my hat to you.

You didn't report me by any chance, did you?

Because if you did, I get 10 additional troll points....lol
pdidy 10:11 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
This is coming from DJs who initially ran PCs and were in denial about Serato/Scrathlive and macbook pros.

True....I made the switch 10 yrs ago in 2008 to Mac strickly for dj purposes but 90% of my 9-5 work day is still PC's.
CMOS 10:18 PM - 26 October, 2018
My entire life is the Windows operating system. Been working in IT for 20 years, and will probably be working with Windows in some fashion until the day i retire. Its my bread and butter, I have many many Microsoft certifications.

It just doesnt work as well as a Mac for Serato. Theres no other simpler way to say it, it just doesnt.

If you are absolutely hell bent on getting a PC, you will probably be better off with Windows 7 SP1 than you will with Windows 10. While i prefer Windows 10 for Business usage, I cant in good faith recommend it for Serato. Windows 7 gives you better control of updates, and some of the Windows 10 feature updates have broken things in Serato.

I fought this for a long time, thinking "I do this for a living, i can get it to work as smooth as a Mac". Wrong.

Buy the mac, and focus on DJing, not on i hope this shit doesnt crash or freeze or spit out horribly distorted white noise or the wave forms are laggy or any of the other problems windows users face.

Im not saying Serato on the Mac is 100% problem free, but it just works better. By a decently large margin.

My 2 cents.
pdidy 10:19 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
I still have a 2009 Macbook pro that runs ScratchLive no issues on Yosemite.

I still have my 1st mac from 2008 but its retired to home use on scratchlive (only) with Yosemite too.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 11:05 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you just got +10 troll points I must have already amassed 9,252,685,187,258,694,357,633,744,811,946 Points. You points are pale in comparison.
pdidy 12:47 AM - 27 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you just got +10 troll points I must have already amassed 9,252,685,187,258,694,357,633,744,811,946 Points. You points are pale in comparison.

media.giphy.com
DJ JulioYEG 5:50 PM - 1 November, 2018
Quote:
My entire life is the Windows operating system. Been working in IT for 20 years, and will probably be working with Windows in some fashion until the day i retire. Its my bread and butter, I have many many Microsoft certifications.

It just doesnt work as well as a Mac for Serato. Theres no other simpler way to say it, it just doesnt.

If you are absolutely hell bent on getting a PC, you will probably be better off with Windows 7 SP1 than you will with Windows 10. While i prefer Windows 10 for Business usage, I cant in good faith recommend it for Serato. Windows 7 gives you better control of updates, and some of the Windows 10 feature updates have broken things in Serato.

I fought this for a long time, thinking "I do this for a living, i can get it to work as smooth as a Mac". Wrong.

Buy the mac, and focus on DJing, not on i hope this shit doesnt crash or freeze or spit out horribly distorted white noise or the wave forms are laggy or any of the other problems windows users face.

Im not saying Serato on the Mac is 100% problem free, but it just works better. By a decently large margin.

My 2 cents.

+1 for your honesty and bias free opinion <3
Gio Alex 8:49 PM - 1 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

My 2 cents.

None of our opinions are bias though. I too have been working in IT for years! The Mac just works better for this. People think it's some fanboy bs but it's not!
DJ JulioYEG 8:54 PM - 1 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My 2 cents.

None of our opinions are bias though. I too have been working in IT for years! The Mac just works better for this. People think it's some fanboy bs but it's not!

not in this thread just search mac on the forum and youll find yourself a few good laughs
Gio Alex 9:00 PM - 1 November, 2018
I've seen it many times. I've been on this forum for years. Even the opinions are based on fact and experience. I saw a dude use a 2009 white macbook the other day running serato just fine. Wouldn't recommend it, but shit I saw it LOL
DJ Irv 3:57 AM - 2 November, 2018
Quote:
I've seen it many times. I've been on this forum for years. Even the opinions are based on fact and experience. I saw a dude use a 2009 white macbook the other day running serato just fine. Wouldn't recommend it, but shit I saw it LOL

ha, I am sure I know this dude. I'm always shocked to see that dinosaur of a Mac just cranking away.
Gio Alex 2:10 PM - 2 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

ha, I am sure I know this dude. I'm always shocked to see that dinosaur of a Mac just cranking away.

Lmao that's hilarious... that shit blew my mind