Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Feedback for a beginner

HMHB 9:03 PM - 19 November, 2017
I'm looking to get started on Dj'ing indie, punk , ska, northern soul etc. and had a go today at recording a mix through ProTools that I've put up on MixCloud (in the below link).

m.mixcloud.com

I'd really appreciate it if someone could give it a listen and provide me with some honest feedback on what they thought of it (quality of fading one song into the other, song selection etc.) and how I could improve.

I'm a complete novice so please feel free to tell me if it's terrible.

Thanks,

HMHB
DjSyndic8 6:31 AM - 20 November, 2017
Quote:
I'm looking to get started on Dj'ing indie, punk , ska, northern soul etc. and had a go today at recording a mix through ProTools that I've put up on MixCloud (in the below link).

m.mixcloud.com

I'd really appreciate it if someone could give it a listen and provide me with some honest feedback on what they thought of it (quality of fading one song into the other, song selection etc.) and how I could improve.

I'm a complete novice so please feel free to tell me if it's terrible.

Thanks,

HMHB

is it a mix (meaning mixing tracks together so it sounds seamless)
or are you doing a mixtape with radio fades in between meaning fade out fade in mixes??
cause thats what this mix is radiofades mix

sorry I'm not familiar with this Genre
HMHB 8:40 AM - 20 November, 2017
is it a mix (meaning mixing tracks together so it sounds seamless)
or are you doing a mixtape with radio fades in between meaning fade out fade in mixes??
cause thats what this mix is radiofades mix

sorry I'm not familiar with this Genre

I started a thread previously asking how these genres are generally Dj'd and the below is the response I got.

''Seamless mixes of a lot of those tracks just isn't going to happen unless you are using a remix. Song selection and fade in/out or cuts will be the norm.''

So, based on that particular response, I've just gone for fading. Whilst I'd like to try and do seamless mixes with time, I thought I'd try and get a grasp on the basics first and try to learn what the standard Indie DJ does first.
DjSyndic8 9:07 AM - 20 November, 2017
Quote:
''Seamless mixes of a lot of those tracks just isn't going to happen unless you are using a remix. Song selection and fade in/out or cuts will be the norm.''

theres different ways to mix tracks every dj has his own style

also different crowds require different ways of mixing tracks, its all up to experience as a dj

heres an advice go to clubs and pubs and sit there and listen to how djs interact with crowds thats one way to learn how to dj
deejayayup 11:25 AM - 20 November, 2017
I'm from Manchester so I get asked to play the stuff you've got in your mix all the time - but I play hip hop, R&B and dancehall so I never play it.

From what I've seen, indie DJs rarely mix and I don't think the crowds are into the mixing either. You don't really need technical DJ skills so playlist order and selection will be the only thing you really need to focus on. Its all about reading the room, building up a vibe and knowing when to play what song. The only advice I can give you is to get out there and learn.
HMHB 5:27 PM - 26 November, 2017
heres an advice go to clubs and pubs and sit there and listen to how djs interact with crowds thats one way to learn how to dj

Was thinking this might be a help myself - thanks!