Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Can Serato DJ run on your old Macbook?

R.$.P 5:31 AM - 11 November, 2017
I understand as time goes on, old hardware becomes obsolete.
I have an old 2006 black macbook (2 GHZ Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, with a 128GB SSD), which I have used on and off for gigs, more of less a backup (and just sentimental value from being my college DJ/School computer)

I did a few gigs with it this year when my brother borrowed my main MBP, and it performed just fine. However with the latest version of Serato DJ, it appears that the audio is dropping out, and the hardware can't support the software.

I tried with both a DDJ SX2, and a DDJ WeGo 3 and in both cases, this issue happened
Here is the video. I uploaded on TinyPic,
How do we embed on these forums?

tinypic.com

Now this Macbook operates on OS X 10.7.5 which is Lion. Serato DJ stopped support for 10.7 after there release of version 1.8, but I didn't have an issue until now.

I know the simple solution is to go back to version 1.7, but are there any other fixes you can suggest? Latency settings, etc. Anything to let me continue running the latest version of Serato DJ without any issues on this current hardware?
DJ Tecniq 4:17 PM - 11 November, 2017
Unfortunately an intel core 2 duo processor is not an option anymore. SDJ 1.8 and above stopped support awhile ago for these machines. And old hardware never mesh well with new software. The bad news as SDJ grows stronger and they add more features it will just require more cpu power so it’s best to have a system that is well equipped to handle SDJ’s demands. Any 2012 MacBook Pro or i5/i7 laptop will run SDJ just fine. Recommend an i7 at best. You will eventually have to upgrade your backup machine or stick with the last 1.7 version. It sucks but the core duo processors are outdated.
DJ Tecniq 4:25 PM - 11 November, 2017
The solution is to not let your brother borrow your newest Mac. Let him use the old one? You are also trying to run a 2006 laptop with current software of today (2017) over . It’s almost 2018. I’m quite shocked a 06’ laptop is able to even run a 1.7 version it’s over a 10 yr old laptop.
Sony311 12:26 AM - 12 November, 2017
I have as a 3rd backup the old 2006 Macbook white. Still runs good.
deejdave 2:45 AM - 12 November, 2017
Quote:
I have as a 3rd backup the old 2006 Macbook white. Still runs good.

Don't know how this is possible. I have a 2007 MacBook Pro with 2.33 Core2Duo and 4 GB RAM that is absolutely useless with modern software especially Serato and VDJ.
R-A-C 5:59 AM - 15 November, 2017
i ran 1.9.3 a couple of times on a 2.66ghz core2 on 10.8.5 without problems. i do however not use effects or video.