DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pulselocker is apparently done

dj_soo 10:20 PM - 10 November, 2017
I'm not a subscriber, but users have been receiving emails that they are ceasing operations as of this month.

Just another reason that I will never rely on a streaming service for my tracks.
dj_soo 10:22 PM - 10 November, 2017
Nm, apparently they are ceasing operations as of today - apparently a lot of people were just charged for the month too...
dj_soo 10:23 PM - 10 November, 2017
Man, what a waste of resources and time working in compatibility with a service that barely lasted a year and a half.
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:39 PM - 10 November, 2017
I'm sure serato got a cut from every sub from the software and a upfront fee to support it
Will08272 10:42 PM - 10 November, 2017
Have been a subscriber for months now, not surprised and was acually expecting it for some time now, the price while imo not bad and when things worked they were great but its still to soon for that service to exist. Unless it’s done through Apple Music or Spotify, the market is just to small for such thing to be sustainable.
charlee1985 11:12 PM - 10 November, 2017
I used it for requests that I didn't have. It was perfect. I hope Serato will do something with Spotify tho.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:18 PM - 10 November, 2017
Quote:
Have been a subscriber for months now, not surprised and was acually expecting it for some time now, the price while imo not bad and when things worked they were great but its still to soon for that service to exist. Unless it’s done through Apple Music or Spotify, the market is just to small for such thing to be sustainable.

This...
Papa Midnight 12:13 AM - 11 November, 2017
Quote:
I'm not a subscriber, but users have been receiving emails that they are ceasing operations as of this month.

Not just this month. They're ceasing operations as of today.

Here's the email: i.imgur.com
Will08272 12:47 AM - 11 November, 2017
Saw that the email was a pulselocker one and knew immediately what the deal was. I had a feeling long ago as i said that it was impossible to keep the venture going, the best they could do is sell the encryption or locker tech or license it to the bigger players if possible.
Will08272 2:51 AM - 11 November, 2017
Was checking earlier versions of SDJ and the option to even display the pulse locker library is gone, was hoping maybe the files i already had downloaded would load up as the files would eventually display without an internet connection. It was fun while it lasted.
Avenger 4:11 PM - 11 November, 2017
I just lost about 400 songs from this. No heads-up or anything and I have a gig coming up next Thurs. Now I have to try and scramble to get some music in time. This is crazy man. How does this happen???
Will08272 4:57 PM - 11 November, 2017
Quote:
I just lost about 400 songs from this. No heads-up or anything and I have a gig coming up next Thurs. Now I have to try and scramble to get some music in time. This is crazy man. How does this happen???

Unfortunately part of the game, the seemingly appearance that they just closed up shop out of no where goes to show that things may have been a shitshow. I wasn't aware that the company existed in some capacity before the "relaunch" with serato and other partners, but it all just never got together add to it the already shaky view on the entire philosophy of streaming/licensing tracks for the very reason this discussion is being had now. Apple is the only one i can see making this happen due to how much money they have.
Avenger 5:31 PM - 11 November, 2017
Yeah it's over now..not much I can do but try to get music as fast as I can from another source. This hurt...
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:38 PM - 11 November, 2017
Quote:

Why would you even depend on such a system?? That’s just crazy to me!!

I’ll never and I mean never trust a streaming service as my main library source 🤦🏾‍♂️
577er 11:20 PM - 11 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Why would you even depend on such a system?? That’s just crazy to me!!

I’ll never and I mean never trust a streaming service as my main library source 🤦🏾‍♂️

Yeah this has / had DANGER written all over it. Even if the company stayed open and you used it heavily you would be dependent on them. Never a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket, especially a basket your renting.
Avenger 4:54 PM - 12 November, 2017
I'm new to all of this...lesson learned and it won't happen again. Whitelabel.net seems to be a good solution with some other sites so I can get my music back in time and loaded before my next gig this week.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:08 PM - 12 November, 2017
Why is Whitelabel a solution?

If Serato goes belly up and you switch to another DVS, what happens to those songs?
577er 6:11 PM - 12 November, 2017
Whitelabel tracks can only be play in serato, again don't try and get music on the cheap because as seen with pulselocker your setting yourself up for problems.

At a minimum get a subscription to a record pool like BPM Supreme, DJ City... DOWNLOAD files to a laptop & backup drive.
Avenger 6:36 PM - 12 November, 2017
YES and I am downloading everything to my laptop this time along with a back-up drive which is what should have been done to start. BPM Supreme may be the way to go instead. Like I said..I'm new to this and made a rookie mistake. 557er I really appreciate you getting me in the right direction with this.
DJ Matty Stiles 9:53 AM - 13 November, 2017
Quote:
YES and I am downloading everything to my laptop this time along with a back-up drive which is what should have been done to start. BPM Supreme may be the way to go instead. Like I said..I'm new to this and made a rookie mistake. 557er I really appreciate you getting me in the right direction with this.

this

shame its gone. like the bridge, perhaps it was just ahead of its time. Hope this doesnt discourage serato from making ambitious ventures in the future
Will08272 1:59 PM - 13 November, 2017
The one thing i will miss for lack of a better term is having access to all the time for the plenty of situations where the one off request is made or just quickly amassing a playlist of tracks for genres one is completely unfamiliar with.

There is also the tracks that get released for streaming that aren’t provided by labels to DJ Pools that because of how stuff is distributed would be available on Pulselocker, so many tracks I’ve come across that weren’t on any record pool but weren’t songs i would play outside of very specific situations or just for messing around.

One thing that im sure was considered despite not coming to fruition yet is the likelihood that either Apple, Google or Spotify will offer a tier through some kind of encryption for files to be used in DJ software which in an instant would rid them of usefulness.
DJ Strict 6:20 PM - 13 November, 2017
I'm sorry to hear of anyone being derailed before or during a gig, but I personally could never wrap my head around the MAJOR risk of relying on streaming without a backup option immediately within reach.

With that said, anyone left out in the cold should hit up XMIX asap. Called this morning and they're doing a special promo with free access to back catalog stuff to help out Pulselocker users.
PSKelly 6:39 PM - 13 November, 2017
I had been using Pulselocker a lot more lately, as it had been a great way to keep up with requests...etc. I had two gigs this past weekend - opened up my Serato to check a few things Saturday morning...and nothing. I had saved 2100+ tracks offline (about half I would only use once or very rarely). I dropped a bunch of money to make sure I had enough tracks to play Saturday. Luckily I caught it early enough to get ahead of it and the venue had good WiFi. One of the scariest days of my career. But I learned...even if I feel like an idiot for relying on it.
DJ Tomm 8:18 PM - 13 November, 2017
status.pulselocker.com

"..... We will continue to search for ways to bring the service back to you in a bigger and better way. We are proud of the community that rallied behind our technology and thank you for your support and patronage........"

Let's see, what they will do. It's for sure hard business, Spotify has 60M users and still no any profit.
Dj Mike P. 10:25 PM - 17 November, 2017
I could understand wanting this for requests, but I would never rely on this type of service...