DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

ADJ scrim facade or Pro X facade

Smoke21 4:52 PM - 9 November, 2017
Hey guys, wanting to buy a dj facade and well as the title says which of the 2 is a built quality in terms of built and easy to build with no hassel... any of you guys here in the forum have any of these 2 facades or recommend another brand... thanks for any suggestion...
Certified Quality Entertainment 6:23 PM - 9 November, 2017
I have the black pro x one I use for small parties that dont need to bring my plexiglass light up board.

It is super light so carrying it around is easy. It comes with a bag which is great but the bag is a little flimsy in my eyes.

Few things I don't like is that it is 4 separate panels. I wish that it was only in 2 pieces and you just connect in the middle. Not a deal breaker but makes it a little annoying. They should have just put a solid hinge to connect the 2 panels together and then you just connect those 2 panels to make the final product. Very simple.

I don't use the white scrims so I can't comment there but I can tell you the black scrims are a little see through and it DROVE ME NUTS. I absolutely hated the fact that you could still see through it. So much so that I went to a fabric store to get solid black fabric to line the back of the facade to make it so you can't see through it. So I had to spend an extra $25 or so for the fabric and glue to get the look I wanted. If I would have known that before I may have looked at another option. It's perfect now with the customizing I did, but not sure if the scrim portion of the ADJ is a better quality which makes it less see through. Can't tell you.

Hope that helps your decision a bit!
Smoke21 7:09 PM - 9 November, 2017
THANKS For the response... hopefully someone with the adj facade can give me there review on adj facade and see if the scrims are see threw
Chino 1:30 AM - 10 November, 2017
I have an American DJ Event Facade in white. It came with an extra set of black scrims too. I have only used the facade with the white scrims attached & it's NOT see through. I also bought an extra panel so I can easily fit a 6ft table behind the facade.

Pros
1. Lite weight
2. Removable/hand washable/easily replaceable scrims
3. Feet on bottom (allows wires to slide underneath facade)
4. White scrims also allow for LED/UV lights to be used to match client's color scheme.

Cons
1. I also wish ADJ had attached solid hinges connecting 2 panels. Not a deal breaker but as stated above- having to attach each panel individually is annoying.
Smoke21 4:19 AM - 10 November, 2017
Quote:
I have an American DJ Event Facade in white. It came with an extra set of black scrims too. I have only used the facade with the white scrims attached & it's NOT see through. I also bought an extra panel so I can easily fit a 6ft table behind the facade.

Pros
1. Lite weight
2. Removable/hand washable/easily replaceable scrims
3. Feet on bottom (allows wires to slide underneath facade)
4. White scrims also allow for LED/UV lights to be used to match client's color scheme.

Cons
1. I also wish ADJ had attached solid hinges connecting 2 panels. Not a deal breaker but as stated above- having to attach each panel individually is annoying.

SO there is a way to attach more panels on it ? With the 4 panels can you only fit a 4 ft table or does a 6 fit as well? @chino
Chino 2:12 PM - 10 November, 2017
^^^ The 4 panel ADJ event facade will only fit a 4ft table (unless you angle the panels on each side). Adding an extra panel will allow a 6ft table to fit with a little extra room to spare. The extra panels are sold separately & cost $50-$80 depending on where you buy it.

The bag that comes with the ADJ event facade also allows up to 5 panels to fit inside.
Smoke21 3:43 PM - 10 November, 2017
I thought you couldnt connect any extra panel to that...
Smoke21 3:44 PM - 10 November, 2017
As far as adj site says
Chino 8:11 PM - 10 November, 2017
^^^ You definitely can attach an extra panel. I use 5 panels.
Rebelguy 11:21 PM - 10 November, 2017
Why do you need a facade? Most of the people I know that have them have stopped using them. Do a clean setup and let people see you do your thing.
Chino 1:12 PM - 26 November, 2017
Quote:
Why do you need a facade?

My clients prefer the clean look of a facade. They pay me extra $$$ to bring it so I do.
O.B.1 4:31 AM - 27 November, 2017
Since I mostly play music videos, I use 3 50in. flat screen TVs set vertically (in portrait mode) and stretch one big video image across all 3 screens.
It is a cool looking alternative for a facade.

scontent.fsea1-1.fna.fbcdn.net
Chino 1:41 PM - 27 November, 2017
@ O.B.1... That looks real good! My only concern is for the flat screen tvs. I would be worried that the tvs would get broken by drunk clients or kids dancing in front of the facade(tvs). Are you always setup on a stage?
pdidy 4:38 PM - 27 November, 2017
Quote:
My only concern is for the flat screen tvs. I would be worried that the tvs would get broken by drunk clients or kids dancing in front of the facade(tvs).

flat screens are cheap nowadays, like $200 so no big deal if they break plus im pretty sure his contract covers all damages.
O.B.1 7:24 AM - 28 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
My only concern is for the flat screen tvs. I would be worried that the tvs would get broken by drunk clients or kids dancing in front of the facade(tvs).

flat screens are cheap nowadays, like $200 so no big deal if they break plus im pretty sure his contract covers all damages.

You are both correct. Yes flat screens are becoming more affordable (and light weight). And yes, my contract covers any damages to my equipment. And truth be told, I have had a few get broken by clients/guests, and I have broke one during transport. But it is still a worthwhile investment as an upset to clients. (Cheaper than an actual video wall consisting of the square panels like these: www.chauvetvideo.com

Didn't mean to derail your thread, but I figured I'd offer an unorthodox yet effective solution I came up with. Also I sometimes hang the screens from a truss arch/goal for certain applications.
O.B.1 7:25 AM - 28 November, 2017
*upsell to clients
pdidy 8:56 AM - 28 November, 2017
Quote:
Why do you need a facade? Most of the people I know that have them have stopped using them. Do a clean setup and let people see you do your thing.

Its Wedding DJ vs Party/Club DJ......
Wedding djs tend to love and or Require facade while Party/club DJs tend to hate them because they are also performers and need to be seen.

I personally hate them because im a Party DJ but after seeing some of these pristine setups by wedding djs I feel I now need one to achieve the Elegant highend look many wedding djs have been doing for years. www.pinterest.com
O.B.1 11:06 AM - 28 November, 2017
Quote:
Its Wedding DJ vs Party/Club DJ......
Wedding djs tend to love and or Require facade while Party/club DJs tend to hate them because they are also performers and need to be seen.

I personally hate them because im a Party DJ but after seeing some of these pristine setups by wedding djs I feel I now need one to achieve the Elegant highend look many wedding djs have been doing for years. www.pinterest.com

I do a bit of both and I've noticed that in addition to the selection/sound/skills, a bit of extra "production value" goes a long way toward a successful event whether it s a wedding or a club.

@pdidy Cool link with lots of other interesting ideas for DJ booths. Some seem complicated yet very eye catching! But there are definitely more options out there than the two posted by the OP. Although if you're trying to keep it simple for set-up/tear-down sometimes less is more...
Chino 12:19 PM - 28 November, 2017
Quote:
Also I sometimes hang the screens from a truss arch/goal for certain applications.

I do this too. I also hang flat screens off of two 8ft trusses on either side of my facade. It keeps the tvs out of reach of the crowd. I just never thought of using the flat screens as a video wall facade. Cool idea!
Chino 12:21 PM - 28 November, 2017
Quote:
I do a bit of both and I've noticed that in addition to the selection/sound/skills, a bit of extra "production value" goes a long way toward a successful event whether it's a wedding or a club.

+1
Smoke21 2:09 AM - 3 December, 2017
Hey guys are the chauvet glo totems ok to hang up tvs as well
Or is there another brand of truss for that? Thanks
Chino 2:05 PM - 4 December, 2017
Quote:
Hey guys are the chauvet glo totems ok to hang up tvs as well
Or is there another brand of truss for that? Thanks

I would not trust the 'glo totem' to be able to handle the weight. Try GLOBAL truss instead. You may also need sand bags on the base to keep the the truss from tipping over(unless you buy a larger 24'' heavy steel base)
Smoke21 2:22 PM - 4 December, 2017
THanks @chino...
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:38 PM - 4 December, 2017
Agreed...not sure I would trust a glo totem, however TVs are super light these days so it will probably be fine but would rather not take a chance.

I have global truss and use the 30x30 alumnium base plates with no sand bags to hold up my 50" tvs with a moving head on top. I use them with 8ft trusses and they are super solid. The TVs only weigh about 20lbs so no issues.
O.B.1 11:32 PM - 4 December, 2017
The glo totems are not really cross-braced with supporting welds and with the scrim cover I'm not sure how one would mount the clamps. I would not recommend mounting anything other than a lighting fixture on top.
Smoke21 2:28 PM - 5 December, 2017
Thanks for the response guys... came across this vid on youtube which seems like it is possible to hang a tv ... youtu.be ... because of space is the reason why im leaning towards the glo totems instead of the cross braced truss...
Chino 3:58 PM - 5 December, 2017
^^^ Nice find. I just watched the vid. If you decide to go the glo totem route then make sure you follow the mod done in the the vid & add some weight to the base(sand bags)!

It would really suck to have a totem tip over and damage the flatscreen & moving head (and possible hurt people on the dance floor)!!
Smoke21 6:08 AM - 6 December, 2017
Your right @chino... wonder if i can swap the base plate with a steel
Base plate if that would be better and add weight to it... would a steel plate be compatible ??? Any suggestions?