DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Practical Reason to keep Battle TT setup?

Hermanator 5:09 PM - 8 November, 2017
What are the practical reasons for keeping a Battle TT+mixer setup, compared with a single TT & good X-fader mixed into something else (controller, 4-channel mixer, etc.)?

The only reasons I can think of are:

- Beat Juggling 2 TT with scratching mixed in
- Appearance for hip-hop scenes & concerts
- DMC competition (but not Redbull Thre3style)
- Fun at home + Online streaming

I am leaning towards selling my DJM-S9, second turntable, and coffin to save some space in the house. I would rather integrate a single turntable (for scratching) into a 4-channel setup with CDJs/Controller and other live performance instruments.... similar to performers like DJ Shadow, TEEKO, etc. [Both artists are great to see in concert BTW]

I also don't want to split my attention between 2 radically different DJ workflows (battle v.s. 4-channel production/performance).

What are your thoughts?
Logisticalstyles 6:08 PM - 8 November, 2017
If you don't battle then you might not need to stay with that configuration. I will say that scratching with a DVS enabled controller will feel a little awkward after coming from a 2 turntable and mixer set up. I can use my turntables with the SR2 but it's not something I would do on a regular basis. I keep my turntables hooked up to my AMX for now until I can decide on which mixer I want to get next. I've gotten several requests last year for a DJ that scratches and uses turntables, so it makes sense for me to keep my battle setup. I also enter battles every year so I need to have the turntable setup available.
Hermanator 7:02 PM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:
If you don't battle then you might not need to stay with that configuration. I will say that scratching with a DVS enabled controller will feel a little awkward after coming from a 2 turntable and mixer set up. I can use my turntables with the SR2 but it's not something I would do on a regular basis. I keep my turntables hooked up to my AMX for now until I can decide on which mixer I want to get next. I've gotten several requests last year for a DJ that scratches and uses turntables, so it makes sense for me to keep my battle setup. I also enter battles every year so I need to have the turntable setup available.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply!
What sort of gigs requested turntables? Did you have to bring your own, or use theirs?

It may be worth me keeping them just for the "look" and secure some gigs. Just wish they didnt take up so much space. :)
DJ Jonasty 8:14 PM - 8 November, 2017
My advice would be to not sell. Go with what you are thinking but you will want to go back to the S9. I get the saving space thing tho.
deezlee 9:48 PM - 8 November, 2017
Huh I mix using both turntables. Like if I'm increasing Bpm I speed up the existing song and slow down the other one. I like two turntables.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:41 PM - 8 November, 2017
Ugggh, sign of the times...

The one turntable setup...

I get it for convenience's sake, but still...
Logisticalstyles 10:46 PM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:
What sort of gigs requested turntables? Did you have to bring your own, or use theirs?

Mostly house parties. There was one lounge gig that requested real vinyl played on real turntables. Two other clients specifically requested lots of scratching, one of them was a wedding gig.

Each time I had to bring my own equipment.
Hermanator 12:48 AM - 9 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Mostly house parties. There was one lounge gig that requested real vinyl played on real turntables. Two other clients specifically requested lots of scratching, one of them was a wedding gig.

Each time I had to bring my own equipment.

Thanks for following up with me!

I think I will keep the battle setup for cases like that and having fun at home.
skinnyguy 8:38 PM - 12 November, 2017
Quote:
The one turntable setup...

that's gonna be the next controller design within the next few years.