Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Which controllers support DVS and also work as a mixer?

djkee 6:41 PM - 6 November, 2017
I'm trying to figure out which Serato controllers support DVS and *also* the standalone mixer function.

So far this is the list I've come up with. 6 controllers that do DVS and also work as a standalone mixer (with no computer).

4-channel
Pioneer DDJ-SX2
Denon MC-8000
Denon MC6000 MK2
Numark N4
Roland DJ-808

2-channel:
Roland DJ-505

Have DVS and possibly have standalone mixer function:
Pioneer DDJ-SR2
Pioneer DDJ-SZ2
(still unclear after reading manual/literature if it acts as standalone mixer)

Did I miss any?
djkee 7:16 PM - 6 November, 2017
According to this other post on forums, Pioneer models SX, SZ, SX2, SZ2 and SR2 all have standalone mixer.

serato.com
djkee 7:20 PM - 6 November, 2017
Revised list of 10 controllers that do DVS and also work as a standalone mixer (with no computer).

4-channel:
Pioneer DDJ-SX
Pioneer DDJ-SX2
Pioneer DDJ-SZ
Pioneer DDJ-SZ2
Denon MC-8000
Denon MC6000 MK2
Numark N4
Roland DJ-808

2-channel (can control 4 decks with deck toggle, but only has 2 channel mixer section):
Roland DJ-505
Pioneer DDJ-SR2

Did I miss any?
DjSyndic8 4:36 AM - 7 November, 2017
Quote:
Revised list of 10 controllers that do DVS and also work as a standalone mixer (with no computer).

4-channel:
Pioneer DDJ-SX
Pioneer DDJ-SX2
Pioneer DDJ-SZ
Pioneer DDJ-SZ2
Denon MC-8000
Denon MC6000 MK2
Numark N4
Roland DJ-808

2-channel (can control 4 decks with deck toggle, but only has 2 channel mixer section):
Roland DJ-505
Pioneer DDJ-SR2

Did I miss any?

I would put DDJSR2 at the top of the list the latest and greatest from Pioneer
DJ Tecniq 6:00 AM - 7 November, 2017
The original SX does not have DVS the SX2 however does. The 2-ch Mixars Primo controller which has yet to be released is also a DVS upgrade ready device/standalone mixer.
dj_soo 11:16 PM - 7 November, 2017
Youre missing the denon mc7000,

The numark ns7 mkii and mkiii

And the numark ns6 mkii
djkee 2:18 AM - 8 November, 2017
Thanks. I will add the Numark NS7 models and NS6 models and MC7000.

I was on the MC7000 product page and the FAQ said it is not a standalone controller. I didn't realize that is a different question. MC8000 is both. MC7000 is a mixer but not standalone controller.
djkee 2:20 AM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:
The original SX does not have DVS the SX2 however does. The 2-ch Mixars Primo controller which has yet to be released is also a DVS upgrade ready device/standalone mixer.

The Serato info page for SX says it is a mixer also.
DJ Tecniq 2:24 AM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

it may be a mixer but you can't connect t-tables and control serato vinyl with it. The SX model is too old and DVS wasn't featured for it till the SX2 came.
djkee 2:27 AM - 8 November, 2017
Updated list:

Pioneer DDJ-SR2
Roland DJ-505

4-channel:
Denon MC-8000
Denon MC7000
Denon MC6000 MK2
Numark N4
Numark NS6
Numark NS 6 II
Numark Ns7 II & NS7 III
Pioneer DDJ-SX
Pioneer DDJ-SX2
Pioneer DDJ-SZ
Pioneer DDJ-SZ2
Roland DJ-808

Changes 2017-11-6:
Added denon MC7000, numark NS6, NS6 II, NS7 II, NS7 III.
Removed Pioneer DDj-SX
djkee 2:27 AM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it may be a mixer but you can't connect t-tables and control serato vinyl with it. The SX model is too old and DVS wasn't featured for it till the SX2 came.

Yep, you are correct.
djkee 2:29 AM - 8 November, 2017
Updated list:
Revised list of controllers that do DVS
-----AND-----
also work as a standalone mixer (with no computer).

Pioneer DDJ-SR2
Roland DJ-505

4-channel:
Denon MC-8000
Denon MC7000
Denon MC6000 MK2
Numark N4
Numark NS6
Numark NS 6 II
Numark Ns7 II & NS7 III
Pioneer DDJ-SX
Pioneer DDJ-SX2
Pioneer DDJ-SZ
Pioneer DDJ-SZ2
Roland DJ-808

Changes 2017-11-6:
Removed Pioneer DDj-SX
Changed to alphabetical order
djkee 2:30 AM - 8 November, 2017
Updated list:
-----AND-----

Pioneer DDJ-SR2
Roland DJ-505

4-channel:
Denon MC-8000
Denon MC7000
Denon MC6000 MK2
Numark N4
Numark NS6
Numark NS 6 II
Numark Ns7 II & NS7 III
Pioneer DDJ-SX2
Pioneer DDJ-SZ
Pioneer DDJ-SZ2
Roland DJ-808

Changes 2017-11-6:
Removed Pioneer DDj-SX
Changed to alphabetical order
DJ Tecniq 2:30 AM - 8 November, 2017
DVS = Digital Vinyl System and is the main reason SX users sold their units to get the SX2 because it has added DVS functionality. You can find out which controllers have DVS ability by checking the controller product page. As you can read here the SX only reads "SDJ Support" however the SX2 and most higher end controllers all have DVS support whether it's DVS ready or upgrade ready devices. serato.com
djkee 2:35 AM - 8 November, 2017
Yes, that was easy to see on SDJ hardware pages.

It was harder to find out about the mixer function - some hardware pages had that info and others did not - even the hardware user manual did not say. I had to go thru forums to find a couple of them.

Maybe Serato can update the hardware pages (at least on the current models) to make sure the ones with a mixer capability say so clearly. If people are wondering why one controller costs $100 more than the next one lower, this would be a good selling point to sell the higher model.

Quote:
DVS = Digital Vinyl System and is the main reason SX users sold their units to get the SX2 because it has added DVS functionality. You can find out which controllers have DVS ability by checking the controller product page. As you can read here the SX only reads "SDJ Support" however the SX2 and most higher end controllers all have DVS support whether it's DVS ready or upgrade ready devices. serato.com
dj_soo 5:15 AM - 9 November, 2017
Original NS6 does not support DVS - it's just a mixer like the SX. Only the NS6 MK2 support DVS
djkee 7:50 PM - 9 November, 2017
Updated list:
-----AND-----

Pioneer DDJ-SR2
Roland DJ-505

4-channel:
Denon MC-8000
Denon MC7000
Denon MC6000 MK2
Numark N4
Numark NS 6 II
Numark Ns7 II & NS7 III
Pioneer DDJ-SX2
Pioneer DDJ-SZ
Pioneer DDJ-SZ2
Roland DJ-808

Changes 2017-11-9:
removed original NS6 (no DVS)
DJ Tecniq 7:58 PM - 9 November, 2017
Hard to believe there’s currently only two 2 ch controllers out now that have DVS. Mixars Primo you’ll have to add to the list soon. No official release date from Mixars though.
djkee 8:26 PM - 9 November, 2017
I'm trying to decide which controller to get. I'm leaning towards one of the 2-channel because I like something small and compact. I have the VCI-380 and unfortunately, Vestax closed down before being able to release the firmware update that would have allowed for DVS to be able to work.

I will wait for the Mixars announcement and add it to the list at that point.

I may wait until early 2018 to buy anything - see if there are any new announcements at NAMM.

Quote:
Hard to believe there’s currently only two 2 ch controllers out now that have DVS. Mixars Primo you’ll have to add to the list soon. No official release date from Mixars though.
DJ Tecniq 10:01 PM - 9 November, 2017
Quote:
I will wait for the Mixars announcement and add it to the list at that point.

I may wait until early 2018 to buy anything - see if there are any new announcements at NAMM.
The Primo is available for preorder and expected date says Jan 2018 but who really knows they’ve changed the date so many times. I must say though the Primo has an aux and led jog indicator unlike the Pioneer SR2. Which is a huge selling point imo...that’s if they ever release it lol see here thedjhookup.com
DJ Tecniq 10:04 PM - 9 November, 2017
My thoughts are if the Primo ends up being an overall better deck then I’ll just sell my SR2. I paid exactly $599 for the SR2. So I bet I’ll even get a better deal for the Primo since it’s cheaper than the SR2 which is originally a $700 unit.
DJ Tecniq 12:05 AM - 5 April, 2019
Primo is out and i must say it does sound a lot better than the SR2 which i have also. They used a high quality preamp on the Primo. The output is so much louder than the SR2. I used to think Pioneer sounds good but when you compare it to other controllers sound you will quickly notice a difference.