Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Any one using a PC Laptop with Serato Video?

lukebal 1:25 PM - 6 November, 2017
I've been using Macs for 5+ years now - just to do Serato Video. I'm a PC guy though, and when I first starting looking at PC laptops there weren't any that could handle Scratch Live Video at the time without latency and video freezing after ~10 minutes or so. Macbook Pros just worked out of the box.
PC Laptops have come a long way in the last 5 years though - has anyone used Serato Video on a high end PC Laptop? What I would like do is purchase a PC Laptop that is VR ready that can also play Serato Video without issues like my Macbook Pro. Surely some of the $1500+ PC laptops with dedicated graphics should be able to run Serato Video??
popnwave 5:15 PM - 6 November, 2017
The hardware is plenty powerful enough, however SV hasn't been updated to make use of DirectX and it a literal trial and error process.

If you are going hardcore into video my recommendation is now (for PCs) Virtual DJ, Rekordbox, and Serato Video in last.
Hickory 9:32 PM - 6 November, 2017
I have been using SVJ with varying success for a few years now and have tried it on 3 different systems.

System 1: Macbook Pro Late 2011 with the second video card and a single 750gb harddrive and 4gb ram. I am able to run SVJ fine with minimal video stutter using 720p to 1080p videos. No on board recording possible at outputs higher than 480p. I tried playing video from a usb 3 drive which didn't improve performance. I tried recording the video to usb 3.0 while playing the video from the onboard drive which didn't improve performance.

System 2: Window 7 mid 2013 lenovo laptop with second video card and a single 750gb drive with 8gb ram. It runs worse than the macbook above despite the RAM being higher on both the system and video card. Recording not possible. Lots of video stutter and lost frames.

System 3: Latest model Macbook Pro with the VC that has 2gb of ram and the system has 16gb of ram. I am able to run SVJ fine with minimal video stutter using 720p to 1080p videos. Had success recording a 1080p output both playing the video from onbard drive as well as playing the video from usb 3 drive.

Conclusion: Mac runs SDJ better all around, but its really not evident until you leverage SVJ and really get the system humming along. Windows tends to get the audio right, but still cannot be trusted for juggling video dynamicly.

Hope that helps.
popnwave 11:01 PM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:
I have been using SVJ with varying success for a few years now and have tried it on 3 different systems.

System 1: Macbook Pro Late 2011 with the second video card and a single 750gb harddrive and 4gb ram. I am able to run SVJ fine with minimal video stutter using 720p to 1080p videos. No on board recording possible at outputs higher than 480p. I tried playing video from a usb 3 drive which didn't improve performance. I tried recording the video to usb 3.0 while playing the video from the onboard drive which didn't improve performance.

System 2: Window 7 mid 2013 lenovo laptop with second video card and a single 750gb drive with 8gb ram. It runs worse than the macbook above despite the RAM being higher on both the system and video card. Recording not possible. Lots of video stutter and lost frames.

System 3: Latest model Macbook Pro with the VC that has 2gb of ram and the system has 16gb of ram. I am able to run SVJ fine with minimal video stutter using 720p to 1080p videos. Had success recording a 1080p output both playing the video from onbard drive as well as playing the video from usb 3 drive.

Conclusion: Mac runs SDJ better all around, but its really not evident until you leverage SVJ and really get the system humming along. Windows tends to get the audio right, but still cannot be trusted for juggling video dynamicly.

Hope that helps.

Dang man, you really gotta get on the Mix Emergency train for your Macs, recording just works and even the stuttering should be a lot less.
Hickory 12:23 AM - 7 November, 2017
As of this moment, I am no longer using SVJ because it is under featured, under supported, and is a tremendous resource hog. I will say that as a DJ, I love the music DJ feel of using jog wheels and stuff to control video. Also, I am really impressed with the size of video that SVJ can handle at once when running. I just cannot continue to support something that is an after thought, especially when they charge $100 for it.

Mix Emergency did run better on all of the machines above, so that might be something to consider.
lukebal 1:39 AM - 7 November, 2017
Thanks Hickory for the in depth analysis!
skinnyguy 10:00 AM - 7 November, 2017
could try mixvibes