DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How was "fresh" and "ahhh" popularized? Where did it originate from?

DJLorrence 8:11 PM - 16 June, 2006
hey all, how was Fresh and Ahhh made so popular? where did this sample originate from? can anyone school me on this? thanks.
AMF 8:16 PM - 16 June, 2006
It was a single from Fab 5 Freddie. I know the song starts with "Ahh this stuff is really fresh". I haven't heard the song in a loooooong time so I can't remember the title of it.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:25 PM - 16 June, 2006
actually, if i recall (i had this record back in the '80s.... lost the wax, but still have the album cover jacket....sowewhere)...

... this section was at the end of the song....and it went like this:

Beeeeeeep, ahhhhhhh, this stuff is rrreeeallly freesshhhhh
AMF 8:33 PM - 16 June, 2006
I think the name of the song was "Change the beat" if I recall correctly. I'm sure someone on the forum knows fa sure.
djtonypsalms 8:58 PM - 16 June, 2006
I thought it was Malcolm McClaren's Buffalo Gals.

"All that scratchin' is makin' me itch... "
AMF 9:01 PM - 16 June, 2006
That's a different popular scratch. Of course made popular by my favorite dj of all times. Q-Bert!!!!!
Julls 9:08 PM - 16 June, 2006
Quote:
It was a single from Fab 5 Freddie. I know the song starts with "Ahh this stuff is really fresh". I haven't heard the song in a loooooong time so I can't remember the title of it.

Fab 5 Freddy - Change The Beat

Thats the track with the "ahhhh this stuff is really fresh" at the end of it
AMF 9:11 PM - 16 June, 2006
Ahhhh. Ok. I thought it was at the beginning. Like I said, it's been a minute... lol
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:28 PM - 16 June, 2006
@ Julls & AMF...if i remember (my memory is pretty much shot these days)...does the front of the cover have a dude in classic leather b-boy gear in a classic b-boy stance, while the backside cover has spraypaint splattered....and was the record label silver?
Julls 9:31 PM - 16 June, 2006
Quote:
@ Julls & AMF...if i remember (my memory is pretty much shot these days)...does the front of the cover have a dude in classic leather b-boy gear in a classic b-boy stance, while the backside cover has spraypaint splattered....and was the record label silver?

Mike, i'll go look in the records I have left to see if I still own it or not. I can't remember off the top of my head.
Tom 9:34 PM - 16 June, 2006
I think what made it really big was that Herbie Hancock song "Rockit." Or at least so says the documentary "Scratch," which I assume every dj has seen.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:46 PM - 16 June, 2006
@ Tom, Grandmaster DST was using the 'Fresh' section to scratch....right...gosh, i can't remember?

here's another question (similar topic):

what's the device they used to scratch on that kut "Looking For The Perfect Beat" from Afrika Bambaata & The Soul Sonic Force?
Tom 10:02 PM - 16 June, 2006
pt 1 fr fr fresh fr fr fresh.
pt2 no idea
DJ Rumor 10:10 PM - 16 June, 2006
Another popular scratch sample that sounds very similar to "ahhh" is the beginning of Shannon's "Let The Music Play"
Julls 10:25 PM - 16 June, 2006
Quote:
Another popular scratch sample that sounds very similar to "ahhh" is the beginning of Shannon's "Let The Music Play"

You think so? I'll have to play around with it. Its more of a computerized sound, if you know what I mean.
Dj Chris Deza 11:19 PM - 16 June, 2006
How bout the sample... somebody scream! or another sample is the one that goes "yaaaaaaaoooo" it sounds like somebody is screaming.
DJ Unique 11:32 PM - 16 June, 2006
I have that 12" Single of Fab 5 Freddy's Change the Beat.
When I get home I will tell you guys what label it was on.
Celluloid.....I think???
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:43 PM - 16 June, 2006
yeah, that's it! Celluloid...

i think i also have/had a record by that same label with Bambaata & a punk rock dude with a track called "World Destruction"
DJ Unique 11:51 PM - 16 June, 2006
Yes, I have that one as well.
Also by Celluloid.
Thundercat 1:42 AM - 17 June, 2006
Fab 5 Freddy's Change The Beat was released in 1982, DST used in Crazy Cuts in 1983, Word Of Mouth (DJ Cheese) ripped it up in King Kut in 1983, Mix Master Ice of UTFO used it in Roxanne, Roxanne 1984 and Leader Of The Pack in 1985. After that it has been pretty much a staple for every DJ since.
Only1divine 7:58 PM - 13 December, 2016
All wrong....... This was the ending of an imported track that every DJ & his Mama used back in the day. Got mine stolen from me at a club I worked.
dj jamalot 4:33 AM - 14 December, 2016
the beep ahh this stuff is really fresh was on a UTFO Record i still have it in my storage but i'm not gonna look for it.
dj jamalot 4:37 AM - 14 December, 2016
the record was bite it...
DJ Unique 4:43 AM - 14 December, 2016
Quote:
Fab 5 Freddy's Change The Beat was released in 1982, DST used in Crazy Cuts in 1983, Word Of Mouth (DJ Cheese) ripped it up in King Kut in 1983, Mix Master Ice of UTFO used it in Roxanne, Roxanne 1984 and Leader Of The Pack in 1985. After that it has been pretty much a staple for every DJ since.

The original was Fab 5 Freddy from 1982
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Unique 4:44 AM - 14 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Listen to the last 5 secs of the track
dj jamalot 5:23 AM - 14 December, 2016
That same sample is on the UTFO track...
DJ Matty Stiles 5:33 AM - 14 December, 2016
I wish we had more threads like this on the forums!
DJ Unique 6:02 AM - 14 December, 2016
Quote:
I wish we had more threads like this on the forums!

Yep
DJ GOODFOOT 8:13 AM - 14 December, 2016
I think when Grandmixer DXT used that "Fresh"sample for Rockit and performed it on national television (the grammy's in '93 and Saturday Night Live in '84) is when the sample became the iconic scratch sound that still is used today. It was such an important song to have a turntablist as a featured member of a band and introduced scratching to the population of the country outside of NY and LA.

I had that SNL performance on a VHS and wore it out watching so many times.
Taipanic 8:23 AM - 14 December, 2016
s3kn0tr0n1c 12:19 PM - 14 December, 2016
Watchwww.youtube.com

I always thought they ahhh came from this.....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:42 PM - 14 December, 2016
Quote:
I think when Grandmixer DXT used that "Fresh"sample for Rockit and performed it on national television (the grammy's in '93 and Saturday Night Live in '84) is when the sample became the iconic scratch sound that still is used today. It was such an important song to have a turntablist as a featured member of a band and introduced scratching to the population of the country outside of NY and LA.

I had that SNL performance on a VHS and wore it out watching so many times.

THANK YOU.

I'm looking at these other responses like...smh.

Yes, back then Grandmixer "DST" popularized it, immediately followed by Mix Master Ice of UTFO with what sounded like an automated scratch on Roxanne Roxanne, but was kinda "Freestyling" when he used it on "Leader Of The Pack"

After that, we ALL bought it.
Chrisjin 6:50 PM - 14 December, 2016
I always thought the 'ahhh' came from le chick
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:31 AM - 15 December, 2016
Quote:

You mean "Le Freak" by Chic?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:54 AM - 15 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

^^^This... although I never learned to scratch, i carried that record in my crates for a LONG time just for that 5 seconds at the end....

What a waste....
Chrisjin 5:42 PM - 15 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

You mean "Le Freak" by Chic?

something to that effect. I was completely wacked out of mind when posting that.