DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Dxr10/12 or dsr12 to pair with 4qsckw181?

Jake2007 12:08 AM - 4 November, 2017
I currently have 2 yamaha dxr 15s and the most subs i use at a time with them are 4 kw181. The last time i used everything together i was really pleased with the sound! My question here is i want to free up some of the setup weight. And was wondering if the dxr 10s or 12s will keep up with all 4 subs being that the dxr15s did fairly easy. And if not will the dsr12s do the job?
dj_soo 1:36 AM - 4 November, 2017
All of those should be fine with 4 kw181s. The DSRs will have better throw and clarity and may actually keep up with more than 4 kws
Jake2007 9:03 PM - 4 November, 2017
Cool man thanx for the response. I think im leaning towards the tens when being used with the subs. Thanx again!
dj_soo 10:46 PM - 4 November, 2017
I use the DXR10s as well as the 8s - pretty happy with them...
Jake2007 1:51 AM - 5 November, 2017
Do you use subs with yours? And if so which do you use?
577er 4:27 AM - 5 November, 2017
The K10s keep up with 181s for sure. I'm sure the DXR10 would as well.
dj_soo 8:34 AM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:

For the longest while, I was using Yorkville NX720S 15" subs - anywhere from a single to 4. They're alright. Good bang for the buck, sound nice, and go fairly low for a 15" with a cutoff of 40 hz at -3db.

Problem is they just don't get super loud nor do they throw very far so I've been looking at upgrading. I recently picked up a Cerwin Vega CVX18S for a super cheap deal and it sound great although I wish it had a bit more volume to it. Will probably try to cop a 2nd if I can find a similar deal and call it a system as I wouldn't be able to transport more than 2.

I also use a Yorkville PS12S which is a fantastic sub for the size. I pair it with my DXR8s for smaller parties and for such a compact 12", it really bumps and throws far. I'd say a single is about on par with 2 ZLX1 Subs in output and goes way lower - 45hz at -3db.

I was also renting Yorkville PS15S subs for a while and I like them, but didn't love them. Despite the listed specs coming in under the NX720S's, in the real world, it's a much more powerful sub. I'd say a single matches up with 1.5 of the 720s. Loud and throws far, but there's far less options than the 720 and I like the tone of the 720s better.
Jake2007 5:26 PM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:
The K10s keep up with 181s for sure. I'm sure the DXR10 would as well.

I havnt not heard the k10. But i have heard good things about it. But yes i believe if my dxr 15s can do the job the 10s should hold up.
Jake2007 5:37 PM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

For the longest while, I was using Yorkville NX720S 15" subs - anywhere from a single to 4. They're alright. Good bang for the buck, sound nice, and go fairly low for a 15" with a cutoff of 40 hz at -3db.

Problem is they just don't get super loud nor do they throw very far so I've been looking at upgrading. I recently picked up a Cerwin Vega CVX18S for a super cheap deal and it sound great although I wish it had a bit more volume to it. Will probably try to cop a 2nd if I can find a similar deal and call it a system as I wouldn't be able to transport more than 2.

I also use a Yorkville PS12S which is a fantastic sub for the size. I pair it with my DXR8s for smaller parties and for such a compact 12", it really bumps and throws far. I'd say a single is about on par with 2 ZLX1 Subs in output and goes way lower - 45hz at -3db.

I was also renting Yorkville PS15S subs for a while and I like them, but didn't love them. Despite the listed specs coming in under the NX720S's, in the real world, it's a much more powerful sub. I'd say a single matches up with 1.5 of the 720s. Loud and throws far, but there's far less options than the 720 and I like the tone of the 720s better.

Nice! Ya actually settled on the kw181 the hard way! I started out with a 18” alto sub, than went to a cerwin vega cva118 it had nice bass just was too heavy after a while and not a whole lot of volume for the weight, i than went to a jbl prx718xlf and was pleased with the sound just not the volume... me ears were pleased with the qsc and i have stuck witht them since. but i am still curious about the yorkville ls801p and the Yamaha dxs18.
Arjun B 11:48 PM - 6 November, 2017
The Yamaha DXS18 isn't anything special. I have one and trying to get rid of it.
dj_soo 11:08 PM - 7 November, 2017
What about the dxs18 do you not like? Have you a/b'd it against a kw181?
Arjun B 12:58 AM - 8 November, 2017
The bandpass design doesn't live up to the hype; lacks output and throw. It starts to limit as soon as I feel the subwoofer is really alive. Limiter kicks in hard aswell, really reducing the output.

I've used both but never side by side, haven't got the chance to do that yet. I would get the KW181 over the DXS18. The front loaded design is bound to give you better output and throw in almost any scenario plus they're cheaper MSRP, but the DXS18 can be had for much cheaper than its price tag.

Looking to get the yorkville ES15p or 18p instead.
dj_soo 6:15 AM - 8 November, 2017
I demo'd the ES18P at the shop the other day and it sounded good. Sounded closer to the PS18S sub than the old 801P, but goes lower and louder with some more options. I liked the tone better than the boomy 801P but didn't do an A/B test. Smaller than the 801P, but just as heavy

Really interested in checking out the ES15S sub, although it's more expensive than the 18"...