DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DBX DRIVERACK AND POWERED SPEAKERS

Smoke21 8:01 PM - 1 November, 2017
Hello, wondering if someone can help me out in understanding how to setup my EV ELX115p with DBX driverack pa2. Does the driverack have settings for my speakers? (In mind of buying the driverack) or would i have to custom set it ? Anyone could give me an idea of how to configure my tops that i will be using with my friends qsc kw181subs .
THESE are the specs for my elx115p THanks :

• EVS-15K 381mm (15”) Woofer• 44 Hz – 20 kHz Frequency Range; 134 dB Max SPL• 1000 W Class D Lightweight Amplifer — Runs Cool without Fans• Bi-Amplifed Design with 24 dB/Octave Filter Slopes and Transducer Protection• Selectable 100 Hz High Pass Filter for Use with an External Subwoofer• Dual XLR and TRS Combo Inputs with Independent Gain Control
Mr.Dj-Jace 8:31 PM - 1 November, 2017
Quote:
Hello, wondering if someone can help me out in understanding how to setup my EV ELX115p with DBX driverack pa2. Does the driverack have settings for my speakers? (In mind of buying the driverack) or would i have to custom set it ? Anyone could give me an idea of how to configure my tops that i will be using with my friends qsc kw181subs .
THESE are the specs for my elx115p THanks :

• EVS-15K 381mm (15”) Woofer• 44 Hz – 20 kHz Frequency Range; 134 dB Max SPL• 1000 W Class D Lightweight Amplifer — Runs Cool without Fans• Bi-Amplifed Design with 24 dB/Octave Filter Slopes and Transducer Protection• Selectable 100 Hz High Pass Filter for Use with an External Subwoofer• Dual XLR and TRS Combo Inputs with Independent Gain Control

I've Google the driverack pa2 manual for you. There is a setting for qsc kw181 but nothing for the ev elx115p. You can customize the ev. This will work.
Mr.Dj-Jace 8:33 PM - 1 November, 2017
Customize the driverack pa2 for the ev to be exact.
Smoke21 10:32 PM - 1 November, 2017
Im new to that driverack thing so thats why inwould like a guide of some sort of of how to start or even if anyone has the elx and how they custom set them up... thanks
Mr.Dj-Jace 12:43 AM - 2 November, 2017
Why do you need the driverack to begin with? All you need is to put the switch on,"with Sub" on the back of the elx115p and you are all set. Run kw181 like so.

I once owned the elx112p and kw181. I thought it sounded great just plugging a mixer to it only. Had the crossover switch engaged on the ev. I use the eq on my mixer to adjust for sound which I rarely did. Ran it flat with no issues. But that's just me, I thought about buying a driverack once, but it's looks like overkill to me.
Smoke21 1:23 AM - 2 November, 2017
Been told that you can get an even better audio with using a dbx driverack...
Hanginon 2:00 AM - 2 November, 2017
You need to learn how to use the AutoEQ function.

The room the speakers are playing in is a big piece of the audio equation. Your Drivreack PA2 can do RTA - Real Time Analysis of the room using pink noise. The AutoEQ will actually do it automatically, and this is far more accurate than using any of the presets. You need to read the manual !!!
Rebelguy 2:06 AM - 3 November, 2017
Interesting as most pro Audio people consider driveracks to be unnecessary.
577er 3:06 AM - 3 November, 2017
Quote:

For self powered speakers I'd agree, but the AFS is good as well as delay if needed.

Smoke21 what are you trying to get done with the driverack? Does getting "better" sound mean louder? More bass? More mic clarity?
Smoke21 5:43 AM - 3 November, 2017
A cleaner audio and louder
dj_soo 7:15 AM - 3 November, 2017
I use a driverack mainly as an extra layer of protection for my speakers - especially when other DJs are using my gear.
Smoke21 3:38 PM - 3 November, 2017
Well thats another reason why i would like to start using a driverack but need some guidance for my speakers ... any help would be appreciated
577er 4:16 PM - 3 November, 2017
If you have done everything in this video and still need it louder - you are not going to get it from your speakers. you need louder speakers.
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:04 PM - 3 November, 2017
Quote:
A cleaner audio and louder

I have the ELX and rent the 181 when I need subs. Alone without a Driverack that system sounds pretty good. Like someone said ht the switch on the back of the ELX and they cross perfect for that sub. If you need louder you don't have enough speakers for your event.
Smoke21 9:10 PM - 3 November, 2017
Quote:
If you have done everything in this video and still need it louder - you are not going to get it from your speakers. you need louder speakers.
Watchwww.youtube.com

I have powered speaker that have internal crossover would i need to select bi amp for that or passive... ?? Thanks
Hanginon 9:54 PM - 3 November, 2017
Quote:

Really? Maybe if you play in the same place all the time. However, if you are a mobile DJ that gigs in lots of different places, the AutoEQ function of the PA2 (or the Behringer DEQ2496) are really helpful in adjusting for room anomalies.

A microphone and 25' of cable (so you can put the mic out on the dance floor) are the only additional equipment needed, and most of us already have that.

It is far quicker, and probably far more accurate than trying to EQ the system manually by ear.

This has nothing to do with whether you are using passive or powered speakers - both will benefit equally.
577er 9:58 PM - 3 November, 2017
Passive unless you want to roll off some of the highs which can be helpful depending on the room you're in. Sometimes those highest highs above 15kHz can get shrill at full volume in which case I would use the bi-amp setting to send a signal to your top speakers of between 90 or 100Hz and whatever upper limit you decide on. In this scenario don't connect anything to the "high" outputs of the driverack, just use the mid outs which would contain the 90 to 15K signal.
Hanginon 10:04 PM - 3 November, 2017
Here's a really good example of what I'm talking about. This vid is a comparison of three new column systems. Jump to about 10 minutes in where he starts using the spectrum analyzer. Note how all three systems have a suck-out in the 350-400 Hz area.
Watchwww.youtube.com
That suck-out is caused by the room and the position of the speakers. The AutoEQ of the DBX or Behry would quickly correct for that.

Equipment like this used to cost big $$$'s. No more.
Phuture2 12:01 PM - 4 November, 2017
great informative video
Hanginon 10:51 PM - 4 November, 2017
Quote:
great informative video

Yes, it is.

The DBX Driverack PA2 is for loudspeaker management. Not "passive speaker management", not "powered speaker management" - "loudspeaker management". Period. Sure, it has some presets for some of the more popular systems, but you can more accurately equalize, INCLUDING the rooms aberrations, using AutoEQ.

Going back through this thread, it seems like some mystical, magical quality is given to powered speakers, which is not the case. They should be tuned to the room, just like passive speakers. That "tuning" makes your system sound better, NOT louder. In the specific example from the video, that 350-400 suck-out (caused by the room) will make those three systems, which are powered, to sound "thin". You actually might want to keep it that way - that is an area in the lower mid-range that can contribute to "mud", and can negatively impact intelligibility, especially on male voices. However, with AutoEQ, at least you will know what the freak you are dealing with, and can easily correct it if you wish.

One of the quirky sayings Serato puts at the beginning of the Forums is "Mixing the truth with rumor and speculation". Indeed.
Hanginon 1:57 PM - 5 November, 2017
If you'd like to see if all this is worthwhile, try this. You'll need an mp3 file of pink noise -
www.audiocheck.net
Download "15-minute pink noise track" in mp3 format.

Next, install RTA Lite on your phone, also a free app.

To check your system, play the mp3 file just like you would any song, at a good volume, one channel at a time - you only want one side (left or right) playing to eliminate combing effects.
Now go out on the dance floor, hold your phone's mic aimed at the speaker, as far from your body as possible (to prevent proximity effects) and read the RTA readout.

It's not flat, is it!! Now run back and forth to the speaker about 20 times, trying to adjust it using your low, mid, and high EQ knobs, and you'll start to appreciate how nice a 31 band AutoEQ is.
Hanginon 2:30 PM - 5 November, 2017
Anyway, using this process, try and get the smoothest response from 100 Hz up.

Don't try equalizing for a smooth response below 100 Hz. First of all, for you Heroes running only a pair of tops without a sub(s), it's literally impossible. For those with subs, the room is full of peaks and nulls - smoothest response is achieved by physically moving the location of the subs.

Have fun!
577er 2:54 PM - 5 November, 2017
In defense of (quality) powered speakers they are pretty fu#%*#g magical considering anyone can get decent results with them without "pinking" rooms, using a phone reference mic 😆, or having a driverack / 31 band EQ at hand for every application. Especially when most folks are playing MP3s to start with.
Hanginon 3:29 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
In defense of (quality) powered speakers they are pretty fu#%*#g magical considering anyone can get decent results with them without "pinking" rooms, using a phone reference mic 😆, or having a driverack / 31 band EQ at hand for every application. Especially when most folks are playing MP3s to start with.

Absolutely agree with you, except for the last sentence.

The process I described is a PIA, is only necessary if you are trying to get the best out of your system, does not make your system louder, is made much easier with a PA2, and is a response to the OP who's thinking of getting one. I would never do that on a regular basis, and only outlined it so anyone could check their own system (passive or active) FOR FREE.

However, it will improve any system regardless of WAV, Flac, or mp3. The file type is irrelevant - mp3's do far less damage to the music than using no subs (as an example).
Mr.Dj-Jace 3:36 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:

I agree. 23 years of my Dj experience, never once I've pink noise a room. Not once. Good decent powered speakers already has the dsp eq'ed to near perfection. Ev comes to mind with there presets, the manual shows the eq presets where there are cutting and boosting frequencies at critical spots built into the live, music, speech and club mode settings of the dsp. I've done different rooms of all shapes and sizes and I had great compliments on how great my system sounded. Nowadays, the 31 band eq, bbe sonic maximizers and the driverack is not really necessary
Hanginon 8:47 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
23 years of my Dj experience, never once I've pink noise a room. Not once. Good decent powered speakers already has the dsp eq'ed to near perfection. Ev comes to mind with there presets, the manual shows the eq presets where there are cutting and boosting frequencies at critical spots built into the live, music, speech and club mode settings of the dsp. I've done different rooms of all shapes and sizes and I had great compliments on how great my system sounded. Nowadays, the 31 band eq, bbe sonic maximizers and the driverack is not really necessary

I understand, but no one said it was necessary, and I'd like to believe we can both agree not to put devices like BBE Sonic Maximizers in the same category as a good 31 band EQ.

There are DJ's on these forums who say SSL sounds better than SDJ, that controllers don't sound good, that mp3's don't sound good. Room equalization makes a far greater difference than any of those, and is measurable! I believe that, at this point in time, there is not a single powered speaker who's DSP can actually measure it's response in the room, and make adjustments. You can DJ just fine like that, and hopefully like you, get complements on the fine sound - this is simply a process if you want to go to the next level.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 9:14 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
this is simply a process if you want to go to the next level.

Cmon man stop already. A Driverack for two speakers on sticks is not a path to go next level.
Hanginon 9:30 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
Cmon man stop already. A Driverack for two speakers on sticks is not a path to go next level.

How the heck did you come up with that?
peterletran 8:28 AM - 21 August, 2018
Hi.

I know this thread is quite old, but!
I've got a few issues with a church I'm working with.
The approx. dimensions of the room are 40 ft. x 100 ft. give or take 10-20 ft.
The stage is setup along the long side of the building.
I'm running a Behringer x32 v1. with a pair QSC K8 and pair KSub. FOH
and 4 EV zlx12s as monitors.
The speakers are setup on the stage pointing straight forward.
I typically get a ton of feedback with the mics.
We run a bunch of chinese made bootleg shure karaoke mics.
The entire FX engine on the Behringer is 32ch EQs. So I can cut problematic freqs.
Would I benefit from a driverack in this application?
I'm going insane trying to make this work.
It just sounds bad and makes me look bad as an audio/visual professional.
17tr2 2:26 PM - 21 August, 2018
You've got bigger problems.

"We run a bunch of chinese made bootleg shure karaoke mics."

You're going to hell for that one. Better get your affairs in order.
peterletran 2:28 PM - 21 August, 2018
Quote:
You've got bigger problems.

"We run a bunch of chinese made bootleg shure karaoke mics."

You're going to hell for that one. Better get your affairs in order.

Man, I tell you what ... I completely agree with you.

I'm not sure if this was meant to be a little comical or not, but I laughed internally.
deezlee 4:03 PM - 21 August, 2018
The speakers are pointing directly across the short dimension? Maybe try running things mono and pointing the speakers outward or something so that the sound doesn't all bounce straight back?
Steve Mack 7:30 PM - 14 August, 2019
The DriveRack PA ensures you have perfect EQ for the room based on the ability to use the real time analyzer. It also provides feedback control for the mics, electronic crossover if you need that, compressor/limiter to make the music sound fuller and tame the dynamic output. It also allows you to warm up the bass and save these settings for at least 12 places/venues/situations.

It will allow you to eq a room faster than you could by ear, after which you can tweak the equalizer to your liking. The DriveRack may be somewhat overkill, but I’ve received compliments in some very upscale NYC venues while using it.
Steve Mack 7:32 PM - 14 August, 2019
By the way, the RCF EVOX 12 with 15” woofers and line array tops are amazing.
577er 9:20 PM - 14 August, 2019
I’m guessing those cheap mics are the root of your problems. Normally with a low cut and eq-ing the monitors should’t Have continual issues with feedback unless the stage is shallow and has a hard back wall or the room is super reverberant. Have you tried swapping out the cheap mics for a real SM58 to see if that’s the issue? I’d be surprised if that doesn’t solve the problem.

Other usual culprits are bad gain staging and people who are clueless about using a mic.
JH007 12:38 PM - 19 October, 2019
@peterletran

The following is a link that shows how to tune a room with the X32 and a RTA mic. Tuning may resolve your issues. The Driverack tunes the room and utilizes filters at problem frequencies using Advanced Frequency Suppression (AFS). You could purchase a RTA mic and try the tuning with the X32. If you continue to have issues, purchase the Driverack.

Watchm.youtube.com
NukeBox 1:12 PM - 19 October, 2019
Quote:
Hi.

I know this thread is quite old, but!
I've got a few issues with a church I'm working with.
The approx. dimensions of the room are 40 ft. x 100 ft. give or take 10-20 ft.
The stage is setup along the long side of the building.
I'm running a Behringer x32 v1. with a pair QSC K8 and pair KSub. FOH
and 4 EV zlx12s as monitors.
The speakers are setup on the stage pointing straight forward.
I typically get a ton of feedback with the mics.
We run a bunch of chinese made bootleg shure karaoke mics.
The entire FX engine on the Behringer is 32ch EQs. So I can cut problematic freqs.
Would I benefit from a driverack in this application?
I'm going insane trying to make this work.
It just sounds bad and makes me look bad as an audio/visual professional.

First you may want to use sound analyzer app, available on ios and android. It would give you approx frequency of the feedback. Second use rta with your behringer, after that setting sound should be easier. And third... Just kill those mics with fire, it's karaoke, no, worse than karaoke stuff. Get sennheisers xsw, or even akg wms40, even that would be better. I'll tell you one thing- the more high quality speakers you'll get, the more shitty sound will come out. Just because high quality speakers will emphasize on how shitty those mics is. I mean, c'mon, you cant be expecting 64kbps mp3 to sound good on festive acoustics, so why the hell shitty mics would sound good on a decent system?
SG SOUNDS 1:20 PM - 19 October, 2019
DriveRack PA2 vs DriveRack Venue360??
dj raulito 3:24 PM - 18 February, 2020
Elx have a great sound but they are not
Consider adding another pair of 12 inch
dj raulito 3:24 PM - 18 February, 2020
Loud