Websites Discussion

Talk about our websites Serato.com and Whitelabel.net
To talk about a Serato product such as Scratch Live or ITCH please find the appropriate forum area.

Banned Status

nik39 12:40 PM - 29 June, 2009
Where do we see whether a certain user has been banned or not? IIRC you removed the "banned" banner below the usernames from each post - but I think at least you should indicate in their profile that the user has been banned.
Serato
dave 9:31 PM - 29 June, 2009
We don't show that publicly any more. Why do you think we should show it on a user's profile?
nik39 8:41 AM - 30 June, 2009
I can think of a few reasons:

1. if you PM someone who is banned, I assume he can not write back. Correct?

2. to me it shows how credible someone is. If he is banned then I wouldn't waste any time thinking about his (wrong?) posts.

Why did you show the banned status initially?
Serato
dave 12:50 AM - 1 July, 2009
1. you can't send a PM to a banned user.

2. for sure.

Quote:
Why did you show the banned status initially?

Probably because we could.
nik39 8:42 AM - 1 July, 2009
Quote:
1. you can't send a PM to a banned user.

Oh man... I was able to click on "send PM", took me to the "send PM" page. The only difference is, it shows in the line
"With" ... "no one". I can even click on preview and post.

You don't even get an unambiguous error message.

It looks like you guys are trying to hide the fact that this user got banned - which I can'T understand why. It's just a status flag. You show soooo much info about a user on his profile but then skip showing this (also important) banned-flag.

Quote:
2. for sure.

Then it makes sense to make it visible whether someone has been banned or not.
nik39 8:49 AM - 1 July, 2009
Serato
dave 11:47 AM - 1 July, 2009
Thanks for the extra info, it is a bit strange that you're able to click "send PM".
Dj.Mojo 10:15 PM - 5 August, 2009
Just stumbled across this thread.

This argument really does make sense:

Quote:
2. to me it shows how credible someone is. If he is banned then I wouldn't waste any time thinking about his (wrong?) posts.

Any updates on this topic, so far?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:23 PM - 6 August, 2009
But isn't possible for someone to get banned for something on a FORUM RULE issue, but still have good information on unrelated topics?
Dj.Mojo 12:47 PM - 10 December, 2009
Quote:
We don't show that publicly any more.

I really liked that feature. Too bad you got rid of it.
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:56 PM - 4 January, 2010
I liked seeing the banned status, it was a subtle reminder to stay in line.
Couin 12:10 PM - 18 January, 2010
BANNED status should come back.
It shows to other members that :
- The banned member is banned and can no longer log in and anwser
- The forum rules has to be followed
nik39 12:13 PM - 18 January, 2010
- The user is not very credible, concerning the forum rules.
VJ Justin Allen 12:16 PM - 18 January, 2010
When a banned user can just create a new account and continue to post the banned status tends to lose it's power...plus just clutters up threads.

Don't you think that a thread with multiple user names listed as banned in it just invites misuse?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:14 PM - 18 January, 2010
Quote:

Don't you think that a thread with multiple user names listed as banned in it just invites misuse?

YOP!

Let the Mods do their job! If they feel that a member is allowed to come back, and THEY give them a clean slate, let it ride.

If the member acts up again, the Mods know what to do.

I LOVE our mods. (No brownnose) They seem much more human.
Dj.Mojo 3:55 PM - 18 January, 2010
Yeah the mods are programmed very well.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 8:45 PM - 18 January, 2010
It's a tricky one. There are pros and cons of showing banned status.

For people who spend a lot of time on the forum and offer serious, valuable contributions to the community then I can totally understand why it'd be of value to show banned status.

But unfortunately for some people it's like a red rag to a bull and serves only to inflame a situation that, in most cases, I would want to die down as soon as possible.

Keep the thoughts coming and I'll continue to ponder this one.
Serato
dave 9:06 PM - 18 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

YOP!

I'm not too hot on letting banned users come back with similar names either, hmm.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:24 PM - 18 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YOP!

I'm not too hot on letting banned users come back with similar names either, hmm.

Hey, I've upgraded to vSL3.... :-)