DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Jazzy Jeff lost his music befor gig - how'd he get it back/recover???

DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:00 AM - 31 October, 2017
Ok, I fell for the click bait on the DJ Digital Tips link...

The part starts at 1:40 - youtu.be

I guess Jeff was copying music from his Mac to an External but did MOVE by mistake.

Took the laptop to gig - music was gone when he set up to play???

Did I miss how he recovered???

Did he say he had an back up external with him or did I miss that?

Good backup tips tho....
Logisticalstyles 2:59 PM - 31 October, 2017
Sounds like he had some music stored locally on his computer and made it work with just that or maybe he just downloaded what he could think of on the fly and worked it out that way.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:09 PM - 31 October, 2017
PULSELOCKER!

Not! Lol
Logisticalstyles 6:51 PM - 31 October, 2017
Or maybe he opened up Virtual DJ and streamed his tunes. Wouldn't that be a trip!
dj_soo 4:21 AM - 1 November, 2017
I would think he moved it within his internal harddrive so all the songs were still on his computer, but because they were moved, all the files were broken in Serato leaving him without his crates and such.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:09 AM - 1 November, 2017
Quote:
I would think he moved it within his internal harddrive so all the songs were still on his computer, but because they were moved, all the files were broken in Serato leaving him without his crates and such.

He said he was "Backing them up", so it makes sense that he moved them OFF of his primary drive thinking he was making a copy somewhere, then when he was setting up to play, noticed everything, (or mostly everything) was gone.
NUdisc0 2:51 AM - 2 November, 2017
What a rookie mistake
Phil G 11:08 PM - 3 November, 2017
Wow I actually know the answer to this... He had either a backup drive or backup laptop overnighted with FedEx to either the UK or wherever his next gig was in Europe.
He spoke about it during his Q&A at the BPM show.
DJ GaFFle 11:33 PM - 3 November, 2017
Quote:
Wow I actually know the answer to this... He had either a backup drive or backup laptop overnighted with FedEx to either the UK or wherever his next gig was in Europe.
He spoke about it during his Q&A at the BPM show.

As busy and important as he is, I'm guessing he carries a backup (duplicate) laptop.

Sidenote: I somehow acquired about 40G of music from Jazzy Jeff's personal music collection when I first started digital DJ'ing in '04. I've since purchased or upgraded nearly all of them to 320K files. :-D
Phil G 2:26 PM - 4 November, 2017
He definitely didn't have a backup with him, hence why he said that he had it overnighted from the states.