Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Best Version of Serato DJ for 2008 MBP

WyzeWon 8:35 PM - 26 October, 2017
Hello,

I recently had my newer MacBook Pro die on me so I've been forced to dust off my Late 2008 model MBP to hold me over in a pinch. Being that it's an older machine I figured I probably shouldn't upgrade Serato DJ to the latest version, but I was wondering what version you all would suggest I upgrade to...this machine currently has 1.7.8 installed on it. Here are my specs...
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2008
Processor 2.4 GHz intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB

Any advice would be very appreciated.
popnwave 8:50 PM - 26 October, 2017
I think 1.7.8 or 1.8.3 is going to be your best bet.
Jmoney$ 9:33 PM - 26 October, 2017
its going to depend what hardware you want to run as well
938MyDJ 11:14 PM - 26 October, 2017
Do a torture test befor using it on live situation.

Turn on wifi...
Set latency to 5ms (setting it to 1 won't let you go further)...
Run video if you use it...
Load and RUN All 4decks...
Set settings to 3 different effects mode - turn all 6 buttons left and right, tweak all 6 knobs left and right.
(If the version you're testing has PnT, turn it on too)

*if there's any features above that you will not use anyway, you can just leave them disabled.

The latest version I had my 2008 Macbook running fine is 1.8.2
deejdave 12:04 AM - 27 October, 2017
Core2Duo support was dropped at SDJ 1.8 so not sure 1.8.2 or 1.8.3 are good suggestions.
938MyDJ 12:11 AM - 27 October, 2017
Lol!

Because I tested the forward version that can still work on an old machine.

This is NOT my main laptop btw...
Just like my other 2009 Macbook, they're just backups of my 2 main ones.

I remember you have one of these too.
Just for fun, try to test 1.8.2 on yours and see if we get the same results.
WyzeWon 1:00 AM - 27 October, 2017
I'll give at least 1.8.2 a shot. Would reverting back to 1.7.8 Be as simple as installing that update if things don't go well? I have my radio show tomorrow so I'll probably just run 1.7.8 for now to make sure and try the update tests on the weekend. FWIW I use an S9 at my radio station and I have a 61 at my house.
deejdave 1:16 AM - 27 October, 2017
There were later versions that definitely change the registry and reverting back wouldn't fix this but I am almost certain 1.8.2 was OK. is there any real gain for you in using 1.8.2? If not I would seriously consider sticking with what you already know works. One thing is certain the CPU load has certainly increased as SDJ has progressed.
WyzeWon 2:25 AM - 27 October, 2017
I suppose that's true. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Now I just gotta figure out a solution on a replacement machine since Apple screwed us all with the new USB-less MBPs.
taz07rx 5:54 AM - 27 October, 2017
I also have an old macbook pro :

MacBook Pro 13" Late 2009
Processor 2.53 GHz intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB

As you can see this is almost the same configuration than you except the cpu.

1.7.8 is perfect for this configuration.

I have also updated to 1.8.2 when i bought a numark nv (1.8.2 fix some issues) : both version works great and cpu usage is pretty the same.

As 1.7.8 and 1.8.2 have almost the same features and 1.7.8 is the last officialy supported version for core2duo i suggest to you to stay in 1.7.8.

I have try 1.9.x but this version is too cpu intensive and i have many audio dropout.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:27 AM - 28 October, 2017
Quote:
I'll give at least 1.8.2 a shot. Would reverting back to 1.7.8 Be as simple as installing that update if things don't go well? I have my radio show tomorrow so I'll probably just run 1.7.8 for now to make sure and try the update tests on the weekend. FWIW I use an S9 at my radio station and I have a 61 at my house.

You can store/use multiple versions on the same laptop - just name them different names as you install...

Serato DJ 1.7
Serato DJ 1.8
Serato DJ 1.9.2

etc...

I use an older MacBook Pro and I have the latest installed for key detection and other off line library management but I play out in version 1.8.x

I think I have 7 versions Serato DJ 1.7.4 to 1.9.6 - need to read upgrade features and delete a few - lol
WyzeWon 12:46 AM - 28 October, 2017
I forgot to mention that the computer has El Capitan installed on it...which was the reason I needed to upgrade in the first place...lol. So now the dilemma is 1.7.8 isn't compliant with El Capitan...but 1.8+ aren't core duo compliant...I might have to risk running 1.8 for tonight and then just figure it's time to cop a new machine sooner than later.
eugguy 1:07 AM - 28 October, 2017
2008 mbp? Might as well use SSL to be extra safe.
WyzeWon 1:47 AM - 28 October, 2017
I've found the fool proof workaround for at least my radio show tonight...now it's totally unorthodox...but it's going to work...I'm playing VINYL. lol...let's hope I'm not as rusty as I think I am. I'm gonna give all these suggestions a shot this weekend and I'll check back with the results. I'll just install a few versions and see which works best.
Andrei Matei 9:23 PM - 30 October, 2017
SSL 2.5 would work great. As for SDJ, maybe 1.7.8, but its still bloated and buggy in comparison. Anything newer is just worse.