DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

EV ETX or Pioneer XPRS

Dennison 5:37 PM - 23 October, 2017
Hey guys! I'm looking into the Electro-Voice ETX12p VS. the Pioneer XPRS12. Trying to fill a venue of about 600 people. 4 speakers is my limit, with a budget of $1800 for each top cab. NOT looking for a 3-way cabinet, if I was, I would go for the ETX35p.
DJKayce 1:35 AM - 24 October, 2017
Pioneer XPRS12. I have used both speakers. ETX limits too much for my liking but it good speaker. Pioneer is knock on wood. Very very loud and hard to limit. Been using it since they came out. Plus its cheaper now than EV.
I wouldn't say the same with their subs XPRS215. Not that good. Am now waiting on the new XPRS10. Same specs with 12 & 15.
J Hennessy 8:36 PM - 24 October, 2017
I have no experience with the Pioneer XPRS but I love my ETX 12p tops for smaller spaces. The sounds quality is very nice, even when they're pushed hard. The DSP on the back is very user friendly and easy to figure out. I don't think they'll be enough for 600 people though, assuming you're looking for club type volume. If you're getting 4 tops the ETX35P sounds like the better way to cover that size of a space because they'll array better.
dj_soo 4:15 AM - 25 October, 2017
RCF 745s

For 600 people you'll need subs tho, and lots of them.
DJ Tracktion 4:39 PM - 25 October, 2017
Quote:
RCF 745s

For 600 people you'll need subs tho, and lots of them.

This.
Smoke21 1:52 AM - 30 October, 2017
How about the srx 800 series ?
DJ gsr 3:30 AM - 30 October, 2017
Can't decide either srx 800 series or Yamaha dsr ?
Arjun B 6:37 PM - 30 October, 2017
Both great speakers, you can't go wrong with either
Dennison 10:12 AM - 1 November, 2017
Quote:
How about the srx 800 series ?

Im not a fan of Crown’s built in DSP on the rear of the SRX series. I’m only familiar with the SRX, K.2, and ETX DSP, and by far, I hate having to deal with it the most. Also, SRX are a bit large and bulky. I’m 15 years old so I kinda need something that’s not heavier and bigger than it has to be.

What are you guys thoughts on the PRX though?
DJ gsr 6:55 PM - 1 November, 2017
Get k2.2 or Rcf or dxr if you're looking for portable 12 inch plastic box .
Dennison 11:08 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
Get k2.2 or Rcf or dxr if you're looking for portable 12 inch plastic box .

What if I did 4 KW181’s and maybe JBL PRX812w’s as the tops. Would that be enough? Or should I go with the 815’s as tops, I guess I’m kind of open to 15’s.
DJ gsr 1:59 AM - 6 November, 2017
Srx 812p with 4kw181
Dennison 2:07 AM - 6 November, 2017
Ok so I’m back to my original choice even before I posted this discussion, and that’s a full QSC system, specifically 4 KW181’s with some kind of 12” top whether it be the E12’s, K12.2’s, KW122’s, or even if I had to, the AP4122. Can I get some opinions on that?
Arjun B 4:26 AM - 6 November, 2017
Well if you're going to be used the KW181, which are powered subs, I would also go with powered tops. If you buy passive (E12, AP4122) you will need to buy an amp and possibly a separate DSP.

I would go with the K12.2's or even K10.2's since you're using 4 subwoofers.
DJ gsr 6:21 AM - 6 November, 2017
K2.2
Dennison 11:09 AM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:
K2.2

Do you mean K.2? You keep saying K2.2 and that is not a thing.
DJ GaFFle 2:11 PM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
K2.2

Maybe he meant KV2 EX2.2 subs: www.kv2audio.com

:)
Dennison 2:29 PM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
K2.2

Ahh I see. Dual 12” though?? I don’t know if that’s the best option for me.
Dennison 3:14 PM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
K2.2

Ahh I see. Dual 12” though?? And that’s coming from Czech Rebuic or something. Ouch.
DJ GaFFle 4:27 PM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
K2.2

Ahh I see. Dual 12” though?? And that’s coming from Czech Rebuic or something. Ouch.

Don't let their location fool you. Those speakers are high-end, cost a grip and sound great. I'm not a fan of the bandpass design nor would I want 12's to be my primary DJ sub's drivers but KV2 is good stuff, just too pricey for most folks.
Dennison 11:56 AM - 7 November, 2017
Quote:
Don't let their location fool you. Those speakers are high-end, cost a grip and sound great. I'm not a fan of the bandpass design nor would I want 12's to be my primary DJ sub's drivers but KV2 is good stuff, just too pricey for most folks.

My concern for their location is the cost of shipping and or customer service. Plus, I’m really looking for a speaker that is 1000w or more continuous, 2000w or more peak, and has more than 130db max SPL.
DJ gsr 7:46 PM - 7 November, 2017
I would go with the K12.2's or even K10.2's
dj_soo 8:01 PM - 7 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

My concern for their location is the cost of shipping and or customer service. Plus, I’m really looking for a speaker that is 1000w or more continuous, 2000w or more peak, and has more than 130db max SPL.

Don't pay attention to those numbers. They are all pretty much lies when you're dealing with k-series level gear anyway.

The kv2 are a high end speaker comoany that lists real, measured numbers rather than the calculated and juked numbers that midrange speakers list.
Taipanic 8:39 PM - 7 November, 2017
My opinion on the QSC tops is that they are reliable & dependable but sound very harsh when turned up. I'd never fault anyone for having them but it is not where I'd put my money.
The subs are OK, but there are better out there for the same money.
Right now, I'd probably go with a pair of Yamaha DSR112 tops and 4 of the new Yorkville ES18p subs. You'll get clear mids & highs and enough boom to keep 500+ happy.
DJ gsr 10:09 PM - 7 November, 2017
There's a lot reviews on qsc k12.2 its little better than old k12 . I agree with Taipanic Yamaha dsr112 but wood box little heavy.
Dennison 12:03 AM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:
There's a lot reviews on qsc k12.2 its little better than old k12 . I agree with Taipanic Yamaha dsr112 but wood box little heavy.

I will most certainly not be going with Yamaha, I️ don’t like the sound of them at all. Does anyone know where I️ can hear the KV2 speakers in NY? I️ don’t mind the K12.2’s, I’m not a huge fan of their sound though. What if I️ went with KLA? Anybody ever use those?
dj_soo 12:08 AM - 8 November, 2017
Funny how sound preference works cause I prefer the sound of the dxrs over the k-series (haven't heard the 2s yet).

RCF seems like a popular choice here - especially the ART 745As. They do lack a high pass tho so you'd need to use a crossover or get subs with a built in high pass output.

If youre looking for higher end stuff, people have been heaping praise on the BassBoss subs and tops recentlty. More of a boutique setup where you can only buy direct, but it's all US made.
Dennison 12:25 AM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:
Funny how sound preference works cause I prefer the sound of the dxrs over the k-series (haven't heard the 2s yet).

RCF seems like a popular choice here - especially the ART 745As. They do lack a high pass tho so you'd need to use a crossover or get subs with a built in high pass output.

If youre looking for higher end stuff, people have been heaping praise on the BassBoss subs and tops recentlty. More of a boutique setup where you can only buy direct, but it's all US made.

The .2’s suck imo, I prefer the legacy models. My partner had a pair of K10.2’s and he blew them up twice. I went to IDJNOW the other day to take a listen to them again, to give them another shot. The guy blew a K12.2 up right in front of me, wasn’t even limiting. I think I’ll wait for “K.3” or some kind of change to the K.2, because my friends over at QSC tell me that the initial reports of K.2 have been nothing but good. I disagree. RCF’s are a little pricey, and I’ve never been happy with a fully plastic box. The K series are ABS, and KW are wood, but I’m not a fan of plastic.

Has anyone ever heard of SoundBridge? Specifically the XYON Quad-One subwoofers?
dj_soo 6:21 AM - 8 November, 2017
I have never heard of Soundbridge - looks more like a touring company. That sub looks nice tho.

Could also check out the PK Sound Klarity line. They do a lot of touring rigs for bass music type shows and have a prosumer powered line available. They sound fantastic and get really loud although I do think they are a little overpriced for what you get.

www.pksound.ca
dj_soo 6:22 AM - 8 November, 2017
This is a sweet sub: www.pksound.ca

200 lbs tho :-\
Rebelguy 6:50 AM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I will most certainly not be going with Yamaha, I️ don’t like the sound of them at all. Does anyone know where I️ can hear the KV2 speakers in NY? I️ don’t mind the K12.2’s, I’m not a huge fan of their sound though. What if I️ went with KLA? Anybody ever use those?

I’m surprised you don’t line the DSR112s. They are a great sounding box for the price and have gotten amazing reviews from the sound reinforcement community.

In answer to your other question regarding KV2 in New York...

PLUSMUSIC US Inc.

5 Penn Plaza
Suite 2300
New York, NY 10001
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:04 AM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:

Wait, what? NO HIGH PASS?

You need an external crossover or band pass on a sub?

GTFOOH....

lmao @ y'all wanting me to BUY these jawns versus the ZXA5's...

So let me get this right...

Standalone, they would be OK, assuming you didn't need subs for whatever you're doing at the moment...

But add a SUB, you'd have to pray that it has a built in crossover for the Hi/Mid section, OR you'd have implement a crossover/driverack type of process somewhere in the chain...

And they STILL ugly.

smh.
Taipanic 2:50 PM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

GTFOOH....

Standalone, they would be OK, assuming you didn't need subs for whatever you're doing at the moment...

But add a SUB, you'd have to pray that it has a built in crossover for the Hi/Mid section, OR you'd have implement a crossover/driverack type of process somewhere in the chain...

And they STILL ugly.

smh.

Most models of a Brand/Series are designed to work together. Some put the high pass in the tops, some put it in the sub amp, there is no standard in the industry.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:24 PM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

GTFOOH....

And they STILL ugly.

smh.

Most models of a Brand/Series are designed to work together. Some put the high pass in the tops, some put it in the sub amp, there is no standard in the industry.

Ok, so humor me.

What RCF sub should be aligned with the 745A?
Taipanic 6:52 PM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

GTFOOH....

And they STILL ugly.

smh.

Ok, so humor me.

Both the 8003-AS II & 905-AS II have built in xover, you can check the rest of their sub line yourself to see if the other subs do.
Taipanic 6:56 PM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:

Both the 8003-AS II & 905-AS II have built in xover, you can check the rest of their sub line yourself to see if the other subs do.

And by xover I mean a high pass output. There is a button to change the line out ports from full range to high pass.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:37 PM - 8 November, 2017
Right I saw those, and anticipated as such...

BUT let's say that I went with what I have, the EV ETX18SP's, which have NO High Pass Xovers and bought the RCF745a (forum guinea pig)...

I would have been STUCK with having to buy a Driverack or some other type of crossover device to get optimum sound...

See, my instincts never fail me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:38 PM - 8 November, 2017
Everybody was preaching about how that RCF was the ZXA killer because it has DSP...

False alarm, unless you had a matching sub....or Driverack/Crossover...
Dennison 12:09 AM - 9 November, 2017
Quote:
Everybody was preaching about how that RCF was the ZXA killer because it has DSP...

Don’t even get me started with ZXA. Not interested.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:02 AM - 9 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

GTFOOH....

And they STILL ugly.

smh.

Ok, so humor me.

The 745s & 8004 subs. That set set up is super nice
dj_soo 5:20 AM - 9 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

GTFOOH....

And they STILL ugly.

smh.

Ok, so humor me.

8004A seems like a good pick but it's also like $3k a sub.

Quote:

So you buy the proper sub. Most people are going to buy matching gear anyway. JBL and Mackie also rely on the high pass being on the sub. The old QSC HPR was the same way.

It's just a design philosophy. Even tops with high pass built in is designed for the crossover point and curves to work best with the same brand sub. The plus of a high pass output on a subwoofer is that it will actually match up a bit nicer with any top because you're using the crossover provided by the sub.
Taipanic 3:13 PM - 9 November, 2017
Quote:

So you buy the proper sub. Most people are going to buy matching gear anyway. JBL and Mackie also rely on the high pass being on the sub. The old QSC HPR was the same way.

It's just a design philosophy. Even tops with high pass built in is designed for the crossover point and curves to work best with the same brand sub. The plus of a high pass output on a subwoofer is that it will actually match up a bit nicer with any top because you're using the crossover provided by the sub.

Exactly. Companies design gear with the intent of it used as a complete system. They want you all in to their ideology & methodology.

Another benefit of the DSP in the sub is you can even run a high passed signal to passive speakers as well. It's always nice to have options.
In reality, with today's technology it shouldn't be a big deal to put the DSP in both tops & bottoms and allow you to choose the signal path & content but I would also think that way too many people would screw that up and end up with bad sound, ultimately hurting the manufacturer's reputation.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:40 PM - 9 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

You sure have alot of opioins on gear for a 15 year old.
Rebelguy 5:57 PM - 9 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Why are you even looking for sound...you have DSX Audio.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:28 AM - 10 November, 2017
Quote:
So you buy the proper sub. Most people are going to buy matching gear anyway.

That's my point, my SUBS were either going to be JBL, or EV, those RCF Subs were not even a consideration in my setup.

Everybody knew I was getting the ETX 18SP's, but needed a matching top, so why even SUGGEST the RCF?

Again, it cats trying to pressure other cats to get gear to "TEST OUT" and report back on the forum....lol.

Not the kid...
Dennison 6:37 PM - 10 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You sure have alot of opioins on gear for a 15 year old.

Yes, I sure do. But ZXA is ugly. NOTICE: I AM NOW OPEN TO 3 WAY BOXES!!! The only things im interested in are

-EV ETX
-Pioneer XPRS
-QSC K.2
-QSC KW
-QSC E
-QSC KLA
-JBL SRX
-JBL PRX
-RCF ART
-FBT Pro Verve
-FBT ProMaxx
-DAS Action
-DAS Vantec
Dennison 7:09 PM - 10 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

DSX Audio is my own personal "brand" of speakers, but it very labor intensive and challenging for an amateur manufacturer like myself to make a speaker to the specifications that I need. Possible, but risky. Please don't badmouth DSX Audio though, my custom subwoofers are working extremely well.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:39 PM - 10 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I actually was referring to the ZXA5 specifically.
Dennison 11:53 PM - 10 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I actually was referring to the ZXA5 specifically.

Im aware. The only speakers from the ZX(a) series i don’t mind are the 8” powered one and the ZX4.
DJ GaFFle 1:17 AM - 11 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

That's my point, my SUBS were either going to be JBL, or EV, those RCF Subs were not even a consideration in my setup.

Everybody knew I was getting the ETX 18SP's, but needed a matching top, so why even SUGGEST the RCF?

Again, it cats trying to pressure other cats to get gear to "TEST OUT" and report back on the forum....lol.

Not the kid...

I personally own the ZXA5's and know what they can do. I also know what they CAN'T do and that is... easily survive a turn-it-up-happy DJ due to their lack of a built-in limiter.

Yep, I was one of the guys that tried to steer you towards the RCF745/8004-AS combo. This was mostly due to: the 4" high compression voice coil on the tops, lighter weight, smaller dimensions and yet higher sub output specs over the ETX18SP and most importantly, the built-in limiter of the tops. I also thought EV did too much with that pre-limit warning light that people complain about with the subs. I believe the 745 tops run nearly neck-n-neck with the ZXA5's in output but shine over them when it comes to musical clarity at highest volumes.

Whoever said the ZXA5's are ugly is trippin'. They have a tuxedo-quality look and do not have a negative appearance in any way as far as I'm concerned (my opinion). The RCF745's have an edgy look but I own the RCF408A's which have the exact same appearance. I've shown pictures to potential brides and females and they've never stated they thought the speakers were intrusive in any way, even around nice wedding decor.
DJ GaFFle 1:19 AM - 11 November, 2017
... anyway, I haven't heard you complain about blowing any voice coils so you must be doing something right with the tops. You also must be regulating them with a DriveRack or just don't let other dudes play on your set.
Dennison 3:20 AM - 11 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not the kid...

I personally own the ZXA5's and know what they can do. I also know what they CAN'T do and that is... easily survive a turn-it-up-happy DJ due to their lack of a built-in limiter.

Yep, I was one of the guys that tried to steer you towards the RCF745/8004-AS combo. This was mostly due to: the 4" high compression voice coil on the tops, lighter weight, smaller dimensions and yet higher sub output specs over the ETX18SP and most importantly, the built-in limiter of the tops. I also thought EV did too much with that pre-limit warning light that people complain about with the subs. I believe the 745 tops run nearly neck-n-neck with the ZXA5's in output but shine over them when it comes to musical clarity at highest volumes.

Whoever said the ZXA5's are ugly is trippin'. They have a tuxedo-quality look and do not have a negative appearance in any way as far as I'm concerned (my opinion). The RCF745's have an edgy look but I own the RCF408A's which have the exact same appearance. I've shown pictures to potential brides and females and they've never stated they thought the speakers were intrusive in any way, even around nice wedding decor.

I just don’t like the look of the ZXA5. That’s all.
DJKayce 5:50 PM - 11 November, 2017

Hey dude, I don't think you are ready to buy any speaker at this moment. When you're ready, come back and revisit your topic again.
Dennison 7:09 PM - 11 November, 2017
Quote:

Hey dude, I don't think you are ready to buy any speaker at this moment. When you're ready, come back and revisit your topic again.

And what makes you think that? The fact that I’m 15 and have purchased over $9,000 in equipment already? If you have noting nice to say, say nothing.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:26 PM - 11 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not the kid...

Hey, at least you owned up to it...lol.

I don't recall anyone saying the ZXA5's are ugly, but those RCF745's ain't nothing pretty.

I am in agreement with you about that Pre-Limit "feature" on the 18SP's, but I have a gig tonight and will try out the "Live" mode versus the "Music" mode and see what happens.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:27 PM - 11 November, 2017
Quote:
... anyway, I haven't heard you complain about blowing any voice coils so you must be doing something right with the tops. You also must be regulating them with a DriveRack or just don't let other dudes play on your set.

Bro, I have NO DriveRack, but I also keep an eye on the levels whenever I share the stage....like a REAL GOOD EYE on the levels....with headroom to spare.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:28 PM - 11 November, 2017
Quote:

Wait, what?

That's a sexy azz speaker yo...
desmorider 4:09 AM - 12 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

GTFOOH....

And they STILL ugly.

smh.

Ok, so humor me.

desmorider 4:45 AM - 12 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

DSX Audio is my own personal "brand" of speakers, but it very labor intensive and challenging for an amateur manufacturer like myself to make a speaker to the specifications that I need. Possible, but risky. Please don't badmouth DSX Audio though, my custom subwoofers are working extremely well.

Pics, Cost, and details on your custom subwoofers please. Seems like you have lots of speaker models listed on your website but no pics or pricing.
Dennison 3:57 PM - 12 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Pics, Cost, and details on your custom subwoofers please. Seems like you have lots of speaker models listed on your website but no pics or pricing.

The subwoofers are not actually for sale, please DM me on instagram @dennisonndj and I will send you some photos of them. The website is also just a joke. It’s more for reference because I will be building my own speakers later down the road as well.

18” woofers with 4” voice coils, 1000w continuous, 2000w peak. Gold plated banana/barrier strip input terminals, 4th order bandpass cabinet with 15mm Baltic birch plywood.

Overall the build costed me $1200 in total.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:06 AM - 13 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The subwoofers are not actually for sale, please DM me on instagram @dennisonndj and I will send you some photos of them. The website is also just a joke. It’s more for reference because I will be building my own speakers later down the road as well.

18” woofers with 4” voice coils, 1000w continuous, 2000w peak. Gold plated banana/barrier strip input terminals, 4th order bandpass cabinet with 15mm Baltic birch plywood.

Wait what?
Dennison 11:11 AM - 13 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wait what?

DSX Audio is my own “brand” of loudspeakers. I built a pair of subwoofers for myself which you can see photos of on my Instagram. (@dennisonndj) but the built costs just over $1200, and the materials used are listed above. What are you confused about?
DJ Tracktion 8:14 PM - 14 November, 2017
I have the RCF ART 732a with KW181 subs. You certainly don't NEED a crossover. Unless you are playing a gig for a room of audio engineers, you'll be fine. Even then, I'm sure they'd have a great time...

I also play on a system that is the ART 745 tops with the RCF Sub708 but he runs the subs separately on the booth output so the crossover isn't used. Sounds fine...
Dennison 5:08 AM - 15 November, 2017
Quote:
I have the RCF ART 732a with KW181 subs. You certainly don't NEED a crossover. Unless you are playing a gig for a room of audio engineers, you'll be fine. Even then, I'm sure they'd have a great time...

I also play on a system that is the ART 745 tops with the RCF Sub708 but he runs the subs separately on the booth output so the crossover isn't used. Sounds fine...

Now that’s an nice system. But 500-600 guests? Hmm. Maybe for a large wedding that would be really nice.
pdidy 6:25 AM - 15 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Bro, I have NO DriveRack, but I also keep an eye on the levels whenever I share the stage....like a REAL GOOD EYE on the levels....with headroom to spare.

YOU AND i BOTH DO alot of similar events with multiple dj's and similar clientele. Prior to using a driverack I was accustomed to "Babysitting" the system and when I needed to leave the venue for a little while I would experienced extreme anxiety because I know DJ's can not be trusted even if they are 25+ year vets. In my case just walking to the bar or bathroom was stressful. Once I added the driverack and set limits on my system all the stress went away and Im no longer required to babysit every dj set as a "sound guy". 3 yrs later im stress free an monitoring my system remotely on my Iphone while chillin at the bar with chicks and drinks lol. Now im spoiled an aint going back :)

I pretty sure I also recommended the rcf745 and at the time I believe I still owned the ZXA5. And at the time I dont think you were even considering a matching sub.......??

Ive owned the rcf745 for a while now and would recommend the rcf745/rcf8004 combo if you were buying today. But your system is solid so no point switching.
pdidy 6:49 AM - 15 November, 2017
In regards to the ETX limiting warning I’ve learned to completely ignore it and trust the speakers processing. If you really beat an ETX too hard it will display “CLIP” on screen which I’ve never seen in real world use, only in testing.
Dennison 11:37 AM - 15 November, 2017
Quote:
In regards to the ETX limiting warning I’ve learned to completely ignore it and trust the speakers processing. If you really beat an ETX too hard it will display “CLIP” on screen which I’ve never seen in real world use, only in testing.

The ETX are 1000 watts continuous?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:11 PM - 15 November, 2017
Quote:
YOU AND i BOTH DO alot of similar events with multiple dj's and similar clientele. Prior to using a driverack I was accustomed to "Babysitting" the system and when I needed to leave the venue for a little while I would experienced extreme anxiety because I know DJ's can not be trusted even if they are 25+ year vets. In my case just walking to the bar or bathroom was stressful. Once I added the driverack and set limits on my system all the stress went away and Im no longer required to babysit every dj set as a "sound guy". 3 yrs later im stress free an monitoring my system remotely on my Iphone while chillin at the bar with chicks and drinks lol. Now im spoiled an aint going back :)

It's funny how things change. I normally would be the person on my set 99.9% of the time.

Quote:
I pretty sure I also recommended the rcf745 and at the time I believe I still owned the ZXA5. And at the time I dont think you were even considering a matching sub.......??

C'mon son, we're BOTH bass heads....lol...

I'm sure that I had the sub picked out, as a matter of fact, YOU AND I had scheduled ourselves for a shootout at some spot near Canal St to hear the 18SP, versus the JBL (your fav at the time)....lol

Quote:
Ive owned the rcf745 for a while now and would recommend the rcf745/rcf8004 combo if you were buying today. But your system is solid so no point switching.

Thanks, but I already knew the size of the 8003/4 and PRICE were not part of the program.

I specifically remember saying I had a Ford Explorer too, for a size reference...

Y'all gettin' old....lol.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:13 PM - 15 November, 2017
Quote:

Mine would go into "clip" mode pretty easily....thus my interest in the KW181, but this "Live" mode may put a spin onto that....
DJ Tracktion 8:09 PM - 15 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Now that’s an nice system. But 500-600 guests? Hmm. Maybe for a large wedding that would be really nice.

? - For 500-600 guests I would def add more subs, depending on the room, the tops may be enough. 745's I'd be confident with, the 732's, idk.
pdidy 8:31 PM - 15 November, 2017
Quote:
C'mon son, we're BOTH bass heads....lol...

I'm sure that I had the sub picked out, as a matter of fact, YOU AND I had scheduled ourselves for a shootout at some spot near Canal St to hear the 18SP, versus the JBL (your fav at the time)....lol

True but was talking about before you even got the ZXA5's and you were focused on a top that could compete with the output and bass of your stand alone classic cerwin vega medias.audiofanzine.com

Quote:
Thanks, but I already knew the size of the 8003/4 and PRICE were not part of the program.
Same here, too big, too heavy and too expensive at the time I purchased the JBL VRX system.

Quote:
Y'all gettin' old....lol.

True, true ...lol

Quote:
Mine would go into "clip" mode pretty easily....thus my interest in the KW181, but this "Live" mode may put a spin onto that....

Are you sure you were getting adequate power ? The "clip" also displays easily when low voltage is coming from the wall socket. I experienced that once at a friends house playing the ETX and thought they were malfunctioning. Turned out they were fine but are designed to display clip when low voltage is applied according to manual.
Dennison 8:50 PM - 15 November, 2017
Just put together a new sound system for my school (and started a GoFundMe) and it’s a JBL VRX passive system with QSC PLD amplifiers and PRX400 stage monitors. Tell me what y’all think.
Rebelguy 1:08 AM - 16 November, 2017
Quote:
Just put together a new sound system for my school (and started a GoFundMe) and it’s a JBL VRX passive system with QSC PLD amplifiers and PRX400 stage monitors. Tell me what y’all think.

What made you go with that system?
desmorider 1:50 AM - 16 November, 2017
Quote:

Why not use the speakers that you design.
Dennison 3:50 AM - 16 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Can't, it's for a professional theatre.
Dennison 3:52 AM - 16 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Well, after hearing JBL VRX, I fell in love. And I've used QSC PLD amps in the past and they are just amazing. The built in DSP and everything, just so easy and hella powerful.
Dennison 3:54 AM - 16 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can't, it's for a professional theatre.

By professional theatre, the only thing I mean by not using my custom builts is that they are not designed to do that. Our theatre is just microphones upon no end, not so much just blasting music all the time.
Rebelguy 7:04 AM - 16 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, after hearing JBL VRX, I fell in love. And I've used QSC PLD amps in the past and they are just amazing. The built in DSP and everything, just so easy and hella powerful.

The SRX800 line sounds better than the VRX line and might be more cost effective.
Dennison 11:26 AM - 16 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The SRX800 line sounds better than the VRX line and might be more cost effective.

Our auditorium is very large, in fact when I threw it into EASE, line arrays worked better than a traditional cabinet mainly because of the coverage pattern.
Rebelguy 7:36 PM - 16 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Our auditorium is very large, in fact when I threw it into EASE, line arrays worked better than a traditional cabinet mainly because of the coverage pattern.

Maybe try a point source cabinet from Danley as an option.
Dennison 8:05 PM - 16 November, 2017
Danley is a good idea, however our budget is limited because the GoFundMe was taken down, so the school board has to fund the system. We are now trying to keep it cheap and cheerful, i was thinking maybe a cheaper option would be the QSC E series, an 18" sub on each side and a dual 15 on each side with PLD amps.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:23 PM - 16 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I know he's a kid....but he's killing me with his tales.
Dennison 9:11 PM - 16 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know he's a kid....but he's killing me with his tales.

What do you mean im killing you with my tales? Everything stated here is true. I have no reason to lie about anything. let's get back to the task at hand, EV ETX or Pioneer XPRS?!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:50 AM - 17 November, 2017
Quote:
True but was talking about before you even got the ZXA5's and you were focused on a top that could compete with the output and bass of your stand alone classic cerwin vega medias.audiofanzine.com

Right, so that I could do smaller functions WITHOUT a sub if need be, but the entire idea was to have a top and bottom.

Quote:
Same here, too big, too heavy and too expensive at the time I purchased the JBL VRX system.

Yeah, that RCF sub was not even a consideration.

Quote:
Are you sure you were getting adequate power ? The "clip" also displays easily when low voltage is coming from the wall socket. I experienced that once at a friends house playing the ETX and thought they were malfunctioning. Turned out they were fine but are designed to display clip when low voltage is applied according to manual.

Nah, the power is fine, been playing there for years with no issues.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:53 AM - 17 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How old are you again?
Dennison 11:52 AM - 17 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How old are you again?

Rebelguy 2:49 PM - 17 November, 2017
Quote:

Quote:

How old are you again?

So you have been providing Sound and Lighting since you were 8? I mean according to your website.

Quote:
For 7 years now, Dennison and Arturo have provided the Bay Shore, Long Island (NY) area with the highest in entertainment quality. We provide our clients with only the best and highest quality services. Featuring premium to high end sound systems, and a massive selection of intelligent light shows, and atomospehric effects such as fog, and dry ice that make our lightshows stand out compared to other company's.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:55 PM - 17 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How old are you again?

So you have been providing Sound and Lighting since you were 8? I mean according to your website.

Quote:
For 7 years now, Dennison and Arturo have provided the Bay Shore, Long Island (NY) area with the highest in entertainment quality. We provide our clients with only the best and highest quality services. Featuring premium to high end sound systems, and a massive selection of intelligent light shows, and atomospehric effects such as fog, and dry ice that make our lightshows stand out compared to other company's.

FINALLY I have been waiting for someone else to see this.

And he has his own signature brand of hand crafted speakers no less.
DJSCIASCIA 9:02 PM - 17 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How old are you again?

Quote:

Maybe Daddy’s coattails? 🙃
Dennison 9:16 PM - 17 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How old are you again?

Quote:

Maybe Daddy’s coattails? 🙃

When I first had an idea to start “DJing”, yes, I was around 7 or 8. My first speakers were computer speakers inside of cardboard boxes. It wasn’t until a few years later around the age of 11 when I got my first pair of real speakers and a console. At the age of 13 I purchased a pair of K10’s, and now here I am now at 15. My partner does the lighting, I don’t. No such thing as Daddy’s Coattails, however my dad does sometimes assist in building the speakers.
pdidy 12:27 AM - 18 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How old are you again?

Quote:

Ok y'all made me curious so I did a lil investigating into the matter.......And I can confirm he is a 15yr old kid. In regards to his "premium to high end sound systems, and a massive selection of intelligent light shows....." lets just call that marketing and should not be taken literally.
Dennison 3:43 AM - 18 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How old are you again?

Quote:

Ok y'all made me curious so I did a lil investigating into the matter.......And I can confirm he is a 15yr old kid. In regards to his "premium to high end sound systems, and a massive selection of intelligent light shows....." lets just call that marketing and should not be taken literally.

So QSC speakers are not premium to high end, and we do have a large selection of intelligent light shows. What the hell is your guys’ problem with me? You think I’m lying? What reason do I have to lie to anyone.
pdidy 5:07 AM - 18 November, 2017
Quote:

So QSC speakers are not premium to high end, and we do have a large selection of intelligent light shows. What the hell is your guys’ problem with me? You think I’m lying? What reason do I have to lie to anyone.

Dont take my comment as a negative as I honestly was not trying to take a shot at you. In fact I think you are doing incredibly well at so young an age. You are doing far better than I was at 15yrs old and likely better than anyone on this post when they were your age. You are clearly focused and on you way to being very successful in this biz if you choose to keep at it.

Now to a 15yr old QSC k10's may very well be considered "premium to high end" but to a guy like me who has been doing this longer than you've been alive, my perception of speaker quality is far different than yours. I have no issue with you marketing or advertising your brand or gear as "premium to high end" to your clientele/costumers, If all the big companies selling these speakers can do it then why cant you.

But when you're in a room of your peers and experience professionals the game changes so you wont get an easy pass when you say something questionable, debatable or inaccurate. So don't take it as a personal attack against you, use it as a opportunity to learn. But if you feel you're right, stand your ground and support it with facts !

I own qsc k12's and love them but when I speak to other experienced professionals we refer to them as mid level, MI, consumer grade ect.
Dennison 11:55 AM - 18 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Dont take my comment as a negative as I honestly was not trying to take a shot at you. In fact I think you are doing incredibly well at so young an age. You are doing far better than I was at 15yrs old and likely better than anyone on this post when they were your age. You are clearly focused and on you way to being very successful in this biz if you choose to keep at it.

Now to a 15yr old QSC k10's may very well be considered "premium to high end" but to a guy like me who has been doing this longer than you've been alive, my perception of speaker quality is far different than yours. I have no issue with you marketing or advertising your brand or gear as "premium to high end" to your clientele/costumers, If all the big companies selling these speakers can do it then why cant you.

But when you're in a room of your peers and experience professionals the game changes so you wont get an easy pass when you say something questionable, debatable or inaccurate. So don't take it as a personal attack against you, use it as a opportunity to learn. But if you feel you're right, stand your ground and support it with facts !

I own qsc k12's and love them but when I speak to other experienced professionals we refer to them as mid level, MI, consumer grade ect.

Understood. Now my question. What speakers do you think will work for 500-600 person raves and (now adding) theatre shows? I’m looking at a package on Sweetwater that comes with 4 KLA12’s and a driverack PA2, and then i would add 4 KW181’s. Thoughts?
Dennison 6:57 PM - 18 November, 2017
Anyone ever hear of Foujan Audio?
dj_soo 8:37 PM - 18 November, 2017
Proper raves with club/festival level sound, 4 kw181s is not enough imo. You'd want to be looking at least 4 dual 18s like the srx828s, big folded horns, or other higher end subs like danely or JTR.

4 kw181s will do for a 500-600 wedding maybe, but will not be sufficient to handle that amount of people all dancing at once.
Dennison 10:15 PM - 18 November, 2017
Quote:
Proper raves with club/festival level sound, 4 kw181s is not enough imo. You'd want to be looking at least 4 dual 18s like the srx828s, big folded horns, or other higher end subs like danely or JTR.

4 kw181s will do for a 500-600 wedding maybe, but will not be sufficient to handle that amount of people all dancing at once.

I'm looking into a brand called Foujan right now, they serve the middle east for High SPL speakers, but I don't know if they can ship out to the Long Island, New York area, so i've begun looking into SoundBridge again, specifically the XYON lineup. At this point I'm open to constant curvatures, or even full out line arrays, 3 way cabinets, and of course, 2 way cabinets. Basically everything but horn loaded speakers, even though horn loaded have the highest SPL, but I'd rather stay away from that, and also I'd like to stay with powered speakers, but I'm open to passive.

So its at this point I'm saying, what speakers would be best for what I'm trying to do?

I'd love to stick with QSC, or SoundBridge, and of course, ETX or XPRS.
Rebelguy 2:30 AM - 19 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I'm looking into a brand called Foujan right now, they serve the middle east for High SPL speakers, but I don't know if they can ship out to the Long Island, New York area, so i've begun looking into SoundBridge again, specifically the XYON lineup. At this point I'm open to constant curvatures, or even full out line arrays, 3 way cabinets, and of course, 2 way cabinets. Basically everything but horn loaded speakers, even though horn loaded have the highest SPL, but I'd rather stay away from that, and also I'd like to stay with powered speakers, but I'm open to passive.

So its at this point I'm saying, what speakers would be best for what I'm trying to do?

Stay away from lesser known brands unless they have customer service, parts and a service department that is easily accessible. If one of your foujan or SoundBridge speakers blows a driver or the processing goes out then what do you do?

For 500-600 people I would suggest the 4 of the JBL SRX835s and 4 of the SRX828s.
Dennison 11:44 AM - 20 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stay away from lesser known brands unless they have customer service, parts and a service department that is easily accessible. If one of your foujan or SoundBridge speakers blows a driver or the processing goes out then what do you do?

For 500-600 people I would suggest the 4 of the JBL SRX835s and 4 of the SRX828s.

Well that’s the thing with soundbridge. I’m actually in contact with the owner right now and we are talking about pricing and all that good stuff, and he said that they do come with a limited warranty. Also, they are passive subwoofers, so I don’t have to worry about the amplifier gojng, because it will be a PowerSoft Amplifier. (Specifically the K6.) the only thing to be worried about would be the transducers, which can take 4000w peak each. I do see where you’re coming from though. The one thing that I really like though is that everything about soundbridge, and I mean everything, is made in the United States.
Dennison 3:58 PM - 20 November, 2017
ive decided on my new sound system as (4) QSC E18sw's, a PLD4.5 to power those, and (2) QSC E15's and a GXD8 to power those. Thanks for the feedback guys, any other input is still appreciated.
pdidy 5:23 PM - 20 November, 2017
Quote:
ive decided on my new sound system as (4) QSC E18sw's, a PLD4.5 to power those, and (2) QSC E15's and a GXD8 to power those. Thanks for the feedback guys, any other input is still appreciated.

Is this a mobile system ?
Dennison 5:49 PM - 20 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

The mobile system would be:
-2 K10's on stands (For small gigs)

*OR*----------

-2 E15's on stands with GXD8 (For medium sized gigs)

*OR*----------

-2 E15's on poles with subs with PLD4.5 for subs and GXD8 for tops (for larger gigs)
------------------
the Rave system would be
-2 E15's on stands powered by GXD8
-4 E18sw's coupled in the center powered by PLD4.5
Dennison 5:55 PM - 20 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

*OR*----------

*OR*----------

-2 E15's on poles with subs with PLD4.5 for subs and GXD8 for tops (for larger gigs)
------------------
the Rave system would be

And if I get some SoundBridge XYON's which I plan to eventually i will get a PowerSoft K6 and use those subs along with the E18sw's.
pdidy 6:14 PM - 20 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

*OR*----------

*OR*----------

------------------
the Rave system would be

And if I get some SoundBridge XYON's which I plan to eventually i will get a PowerSoft K6 and use those subs along with the E18sw's.

A lot of bad ideas and planning going on here but the good side is it will teach you not to make the same mistakes again.
Rebelguy 8:17 PM - 20 November, 2017
Here’s a little feedback on SoundBridge if you are interested.

forums.prosoundweb.com
Dennison 10:38 PM - 10 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

*OR*----------

*OR*----------

------------------
the Rave system would be

A lot of bad ideas and planning going on here but the good side is it will teach you not to make the same mistakes again.

Thanks?