DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Need some good tips on making a good "Word Play Mixes"

djsatony 8:05 PM - 20 October, 2017
I've made many mixes throughout my djing career but never really tried out many "word plays". If I randomly stumble upon some while mixing I would add maybe 1 to 2 max into my entire mix, which could be anywhere from 30min-hour. I've recently made a mix with only, word plays to see how much I can adapt to it.

Here's a link to the mix for anyone interested: youtu.be

If anyone can help me out to better the way I do these word plays, or have any input regarding how to improve on them please let me know. I didn't put much time into this mix since I was being too eager but I want to make a better quality one in the near future.

Also, Youtube/Soundcloud took all my mixes down which sucks but luckily the wordplay mix is still up. I think it has to do with playing the tracks in short amount.

Anyways any opinion would be appreciated even if it's good or bad. Lastly, if anyone can link me to a DJ or a mix of a DJ with awesome word plays I would appreciate it very much!
djsatony 8:06 PM - 20 October, 2017
TRACKLIST
1. Selfish (Satoru Club Edit) - Future & Rihanna
2. Selfish (Piano Bar Remix) - Slum Village
3. Beautiful - Mariah Carey ft. Miguel
4. Beautiful (Dirty) - Snoop Dogg Feat. Pharell
5. Diamonds (Danny Diggz Moombahton Acca Out) - Rihanna
6. Gas Pedal (Diggz Acca Out) - Sage the Gemini & IamSu
7. Slow Down (Dirty) - Clyde Carson ft The Team
8. F#ckin' Problems (Dirty) - A$AP Rocky ft Drake, 2 Chainz, & Kendrick Lamar
9. No Problems (Deville Party Edit)
10. 99 Problems Can't Stop (Queen&RHCP Blend) - Jay-Z x RHCP x Queen
DJ Reflex 5:52 AM - 22 October, 2017
It's corny, but I use "This Is How We Do" - Katy Perry into "This is How We Do It" - Montel Jordan at almost every wedding.
dj magnum j 12:32 AM - 8 February, 2018
No word play is corny it takes dedication to figure that ish out
dj magnum j 12:33 AM - 8 February, 2018
I like using usher yeah and one more dance
DOjibwe1 5:47 PM - 21 February, 2018
DJ Tom Flemming (part of the Club Killers crew) does a #wordplaywednesday every two weeks and posts it up on his Instagram. DJ Deville (also of Club Killers fame) does some awesome ones as well. Check out clubkillers.com/mixes and listen to both of these guys.

I first heard wordplay in some of DJ AMs mixes. There are 4 he did regularly that stand out to me and they can still all be played in an open format session: I'm too sexy - sexyback, do you love me (contours version) - the twist, jammin - pump up the jam, doo wop (remember when he said he was about the benjamins) - av8 benjamins

Some that I have done include:
mo money mo problems - rolex (throw your rollies in the sky and wave em side to side) I bit this one from someone else but I have forgotten who
Justin Bieber sorry - sorry not sorry (more of a quick cut)
chainsmokers closer - nine inch nails closer
lionel Richie all night long - chance the rapper all night
acdc thunderstruck - imagine dragons thunder

peep them in a live mix I recorded that I did a few weeks ago: hearthis.at
dj_soo 12:53 AM - 22 February, 2018
Quote:
It's corny, but I use "This Is How We Do" - Katy Perry into "This is How We Do It" - Montel Jordan at almost every wedding.

I usually go from the Game - How we Do to montel