DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Should I sell my 62 for a S9?

djsatony 8:50 AM - 16 October, 2017
I've had my 62 since when it first came out. It's still in great condition without any problems. I don't have many complaints regarding the 62 except for the pads are too small. The pads on the S9's looks very tempting on its own. I've only used S9 couple of times at a club that had the setup but never really had a full session with it before. SO I wanted to ask you fellas what are the pros and cons between 62 and the S9? btw not being able to use Scratchlive isn't much of a problem for me now. I want to know things regarding durability, sound quality, effects, curves on the faders, and so on. Also, do they fit in the same coffin? I recall hearing S9 is slightly bigger.. but not sure. Either way, I was surfing the internet for pricing and once I sell my 62 with my black odyssey coffin I could pretty much purchase the S9 with just a small sum of money. Any input will be appreciated it!! Thnaks
SG SOUNDS 11:44 AM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
I've had my 62 since when it first came out. It's still in great condition without any problems. I don't have many complaints regarding the 62 except for the pads are too small. The pads on the S9's looks very tempting on its own. I've only used S9 couple of times at a club that had the setup but never really had a full session with it before. SO I wanted to ask you fellas what are the pros and cons between 62 and the S9? btw not being able to use Scratchlive isn't much of a problem for me now. I want to know things regarding durability, sound quality, effects, curves on the faders, and so on. Also, do they fit in the same coffin? I recall hearing S9 is slightly bigger.. but not sure. Either way, I was surfing the internet for pricing and once I sell my 62 with my black odyssey coffin I could pretty much purchase the S9 with just a small sum of money. Any input will be appreciated it!! Thnaks

I wouldn't sell it, the rane 62 is still a gem in my opinion...I have both mixers and ever since I got my s9 I still revert back to my 62 and use it more my s9...in my opinion the 62 sounds better than my s9 especially with ssl, huge difference imo...the pads on the s9 is dope also the ease of use of the effects is more easily accessible on the s9....i prefer the rane faders and curves though than the ones on the s9
Djkom 1:01 PM - 16 October, 2017
The real question you should rather ask yourself is "Should I buy the S9 now or wait the Rane 72 ???"

Because I you could wait a couple of months (or maybe days), either the Rane 72 is bomb and you would regret buying a S9 or either the you're not impressed by the Rane 72 and you could buy a S9 even cheaper (because others DJs will for sure trade their S9 for a 72)
Mr. Goodkat 1:58 PM - 16 October, 2017
62's are a hard sell these days, if you can get 1000$ USD or above currently i'd sell. things are about to be worth 500$. Ive put mine up with case for $1100 USD obo and i got maybe 1-2 hits from facebook and craigslist.

i think everyone has pretty much given up on rane and most younger djs want pioneer or a controller.
Jvine 2:58 PM - 16 October, 2017
I keep an eye on 62's on eBay. I saw one for for ~$850 shipped the other day. Well taken care of 56 and 56s used go in the high $300's/low $400's, but you are lucky to get $300 for one today. The 57 sl seems to have dipped into the $400 range for well taken care of ones as well. The only thing that has seems to have held steady in its price is the 57 mkII
J.J. 3:51 PM - 16 October, 2017
Don't sell it. Save enough money and get a Seventy-Two in February 2018. Then use the 62 as a backup.
djsatony 5:10 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't sell it, the rane 62 is still a gem in my opinion...I have both mixers and ever since I got my s9 I still revert back to my 62 and use it more my s9...in my opinion the 62 sounds better than my s9 especially with ssl, huge difference imo...the pads on the s9 is dope also the ease of use of the effects is more easily accessible on the s9....i prefer the rane faders and curves though than the ones on the s9

I was thinking about waiting for the 72 as well but I know that the price for 62 will drop dramatically if I'm trying to sell it after the 72 drops. At the moment I don't have much money so rather than getting the 72 I was thinking about purchasing the S9 which will be much more cost-efficient compared to buying a 72. The pads and the EFX are the main reasons I want to switch but I love scratching so it's a bit of a let down to hear that about the S9's fader. I also use the dicer anyways so I guess it wouldn't be worth it to purchase the S9 just for the pads. Btw was the price for 72 announced yet? I'm guessing it's gonna be around $2,500 or so?
djsatony 5:24 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
The real question you should rather ask yourself is "Should I buy the S9 now or wait the Rane 72 ???"

Because I you could wait a couple of months (or maybe days), either the Rane 72 is bomb and you would regret buying a S9 or either the you're not impressed by the Rane 72 and you could buy a S9 even cheaper (because others DJs will for sure trade their S9 for a 72)

Great advice haha. Part of me wants to try something out a new brand of mixer for once. I've been on Rane since the 56 when SSL barely came out. Since then I've had a 57, then the newer model of the 57 (with the red markings), & now I've been using my 62 for about 5 years or so now. Besides my first crappy Numark mixer I started off on, I've been strictly been using Rane throughout my whole djing career. I have just been seeing the S9 much more frequently than the 62 at clubs or a most of the venues I spin at. I also see a lot of well known DJ's using the S9 rather than the 62 often now as well so I thought S9 was gradually becoming the industry standard.
djsatony 5:27 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
Don't sell it. Save enough money and get a Seventy-Two in February 2018. Then use the 62 as a backup.

Haha, I wish! That would be ideal for me but money is a little tight right now for me so even if I' decide on purchasing the S9 or the 72 I would be selling my 62, so that money can go towards the new mixer.
djsatony 5:28 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
62's are a hard sell these days, if you can get 1000$ USD or above currently i'd sell. things are about to be worth 500$. Ive put mine up with case for $1100 USD obo and i got maybe 1-2 hits from facebook and craigslist.

i think everyone has pretty much given up on rane and most younger djs want pioneer or a controller.

Really? My friend recently sold his 62 with a case for $1300 on CLwithout much problem. Maybe he just got lucky.
WildcardX 5:39 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:

The pads and the EFX are the main reasons I want to switch but I love scratching so it's a bit of a let down to hear that about the S9's fader.

Btw was the price for 72 announced yet? I'm guessing it's gonna be around $2,500 or so?

Fader on the S9 have broken but you can always install an Infintiy Fader easily if this happens and the ratio of people I know that have killed a S9 fader to those that still have theirs is not much. so the fader is not a deal breaker and if it does happen you are covered with getting an Infinity fader for $130 (With UP faders it will cost $160) so not a deal breaker.

As for price of the 72, word around is $1899 and it may not drop till late January or early February 2018.
djsatony 5:51 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
The pads and the EFX are the main reasons I want to switch but I love scratching so it's a bit of a let down to hear that about the S9's fader.

Btw was the price for 72 announced yet? I'm guessing it's gonna be around $2,500 or so?

Fader on the S9 have broken but you can always install an Infintiy Fader easily if this happens and the ratio of people I know that have killed a S9 fader to those that still have theirs is not much. so the fader is not a deal breaker and if it does happen you are covered with getting an Infinity fader for $130 (With UP faders it will cost $160) so not a deal breaker.

As for price of the 72, word around is $1899 and it may not drop till late January or early February 2018.

Oh nice, thanks for the input. I don't know why I thought the pricing was going to be so high haha. I guess I should've known it would be around what you've mentioned since most of the new mixers by Rane are around the same price range but with a little price bump for new models.
djsatony 6:02 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

By broken do you mean the fader for S9 has a tendency of malfunctioning? Sorry, I don't have much knowledge regarding nonstock faders. My main concern regarding the fader was how someone mentioned the curves, and the overall quality isn't up to par with the 62. This is the main concern for me since I love to scratch. Anyways if you meant something totally different, please ignore my ignorance haha.
djvtyme85 7:00 PM - 16 October, 2017
rane has a different slope and cut in feeling. once you’re used to it’s hard to replicate. the closest i’ve gotten is my Mixars Duo. The Pioneer is just a different feeling but not bad at all, its something you’ll get used to easily. Personally I’d hold on to my 62, if you ever play real vinyl that is were the true difference is. Rane just produces a warmer sound
djsatony 7:58 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
rane has a different slope and cut in feeling. once you’re used to it’s hard to replicate. the closest i’ve gotten is my Mixars Duo. The Pioneer is just a different feeling but not bad at all, its something you’ll get used to easily. Personally I’d hold on to my 62, if you ever play real vinyl that is were the true difference is. Rane just produces a warmer sound

Thanks for descriptive advice. My friend has a S9 so I'm going to test it out with some scratch sessions and some mixes to see how I like it. But as of now I'm leaning towards keeping my 62 since that seems like the majority of people are insisting on. I was curious on why S9 is replacing 62 at clubs everywhere and even well knwon Dj's are msotly using them as well now.
WildcardX 11:50 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:

By broken do you mean the fader for S9 has a tendency of malfunctioning? Sorry, I don't have much knowledge regarding nonstock faders. My main concern regarding the fader was how someone mentioned the curves, and the overall quality isn't up to par with the 62. This is the main concern for me since I love to scratch. Anyways if you meant something totally different, please ignore my ignorance haha.

More specifically the fader stem that really is what breaks and not the actual fader itself. And the swap out for it is pretty straight forward and worth it.
Culprit 12:31 AM - 17 October, 2017
I sold my Rane 62 for $1200 a few years ago for an Pioneer S9. The Rane 62 has an awesome output but I like the functionality of my S9. Really hard to tell. If your going to do it, do it before NAMM 2018. Once the 72 makes its major debut it will prob drop the resale on the 62 by $100 at most.

Anyone honestly see the massive response for a 72? I've seen more interest in the twelves that the 72 unit its self. I don't think its going to displace the S9's dominance in the market.
lvmez 12:32 AM - 17 October, 2017
I saw a 62 on Facebook for $750. Price is dropping fast.

I always tell DJ's to make a descison early when thinking about selling an older mixer. Once the new mixer drops your going to take a big hit. I know many DJ's who still have 57's, they are worth pennies.

The 62 will be selling for $500 by January.
Culprit 2:33 AM - 17 October, 2017
I doubt that because 57sl still going for $500 to $600 depending on the conditions and are still being installed at small bars and clubs
lvmez 2:53 AM - 17 October, 2017
newyork.craigslist.org

Asking $300 for 57, can be had for $200.
lvmez 2:55 AM - 17 October, 2017
www.facebook.com

Can be had cheaper
Culprit 5:57 AM - 17 October, 2017
wow NY must be struggling
dj_soo 6:18 AM - 17 October, 2017
I'm waiting for the 72 myself. The S9 doesn't do it for me even taking away the commonly reported quality issues.

The 72 is everything I want in a mixer and I'm really hoping it doesn't turn out to be a bust in terms of implementation.

I'm hoping to get $1500 (cdn) for my 62, but we'll see...
Culprit 6:49 AM - 17 October, 2017
I think the 72 will start off slow but what Serato may have in mind in the future will possibly make it game changing
Culprit 6:49 AM - 17 October, 2017
and when I mean game changing, I mean for the Rane brand really
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:27 AM - 17 October, 2017
I have both mixers, I'm in the other camp here with my preferred choice. The S9 is my weapon of choice for gigging out. Workflow is second to nothing available now. Only minus is that you can't select different pages on the performance pads for each deck. Which I rarely need anyways.

The 62 is used exclusively in the home studio. I bought the SP1 for it previously when it was the only mixer I had. I haven't touched the SP in months as even at home I tend to use a controller these days.

I used the same flight case that I had for the 62 to carry it about before I bought a trolley.

I like using my equipment naked ie not in any flight case. I remove them totally from the cases at venues and have them set up on the case for height. I'm 6'2"

Like other posters said if you are looking at selling now is the time to do it. Or you could wait till the 72 drops and I'm sure some folks will sell the S9 to get that so you might be able to acquire a pre owned S9. So you could get a relative drop in both the S9 and 62 price.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a release date for the 72 though. Like seriously how long does it take to go from prototype to release. Since Rane announced it, Pioneer has announced and released new gear.

Who knows the Pioneer S9 MK2 might be on the production line right now leading to more confusion as to which performance mixer to get.

Interesting times ahead.
CMOS 11:24 PM - 17 October, 2017
Ill never understand how people snap fader stems.
WildcardX 11:52 PM - 17 October, 2017
Quote:
Ill never understand how people snap fader stems.

Violently slamming them during routines can do that.
desmorider 2:11 AM - 18 October, 2017
The s9 is a dope mixer, however in my neck of the woods the resale is bad. Been trying to sell one like new with flight case for $1100, and no serious offers: Some offer $800-$900, however i’m not pressed to sell.
WildcardX 1:22 PM - 18 October, 2017
I just got mine for $1200 barely used from a good friend of mine with no regrets. The Seventy-Two seems nice but is out of my league like that chick I can't afford. lol

With the push back in date of the Rane might be a good idea to hang on to your S9.
djvtyme85 12:08 AM - 3 November, 2017
Quote:
The s9 is a dope mixer, however in my neck of the woods the resale is bad. Been trying to sell one like new with flight case for $1100, and no serious offers: Some offer $800-$900, however i’m not pressed to sell.

I brought mine new $1311 and I’m sure I’m not the only one lol. That’s why the resale is so low.
Chino 3:38 PM - 21 November, 2017
Quote:
The 72 is everything I want in a mixer and I'm really hoping it doesn't turn out to be a bust in terms of implementation.

+1
HighTopFade 6:18 PM - 21 November, 2017
I wonder if the build of materials is the same for the 62 and the 72. For sure the 72 has new and improved fader carriers. Not too happy with the EQ knobs on the 62. Sure it has over 4 years of use. They're feeling pretty rough and loose. If anyone has a method of tightening and lubing EQ knobs, please chime in.

As for selling a 62 for a S9, yeah. It's laid out like an old school Vestax with pads and effects levers; which works for me. May not work for everybody. If you can live without Scratch Live, it's a great mixer.
CMOS 8:38 PM - 21 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I brought mine new $1311 and I’m sure I’m not the only one lol. That’s why the resale is so low.

+1 i payed 1400 for the mixer and slide/glide case.
Mr. Goodkat 8:50 PM - 21 November, 2017
my 62 went on ebay for $920usd, im sure i could have asked for more but trying to move on.