Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato & Rane 64 - Audio Drop Out but Interface Appears Fine

Samuel Andres 9:05 PM - 15 October, 2017
Hello,

Recently (~2 months) I have been experiencing unexplained audio drop outs with Serato and my Rane 64 mixer. Previously, I have been using my Rane 64 mixer with Serato for 2+ years without any issues or audio drop outs...so this is a new issue.

Here is my setup:
> 2 Pioneer CDJ2000 Nexus 2 connected two each other via an ethernet switch and usb hub
> 1 Rane 64 mixer
> Windows 10 Lenovo laptop

NOTE: I have the CDJ2000NX2s and Rane 64 connected into an external powered USB hub and then into into my laptop.

Here's what happens: everything seems to operating fine while playing audio via HID CDJ mode in Serato. Then I hear an audible click/pop and the audio completely cuts out. The Serato interface, however, looks completely normal and appears to still be connected to the mixer as if nothing has happened. The waveforms are moving and I can even control the program by manipulating the CDJ platters. But no audio is playing through/from the mixer. The audio meters are completely dead as if the program has been muted. I have to disconnect and reconnect the mixer from the laptop in order to get the audio back.

When this first happened, I attempted the following:
> I checked and I was using an older version of Serato (1.9.7) than the most current one (1.9.8). So I upgraded.
> I uninstalled and reinstalled the Rane drivers for the 64.
> I re-ran through the recommended optimizations for Serato: support.serato.com
> The only "issue" I found was with one of the USB Power Management settings. One USB Root Hub still had the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” checked...so I unchecked it.
> Because of the USB Power Management deactivation setting, I went ahead and uninstalled the third party program AVG Tune Up program that I thought could have changed this setting without my knowing.

I haven't had an issue for a few weeks despite several events and testing continuous playback for hours.

Then, I upgraded to 1.9.9 and had an audio drop out at an event two days ago. When this happened I quickly disconnected the mixer from the external USB hub and connected it directly to laptop instead. The program went back into audition mode and back into performance HID mode and the audio was back.

Later, I double checked the USB Power Management settings again and I must have missed or 2-3 "Generic USB Hubs" that still had the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” checked...so I unchecked them.

So I don't know what's causing the issue. Is it the use of a USB hub to connect the CDJs, mixer, and laptop? Is it the USB Power Management? Is it something else? I have no idea.

I can't afford to have an audio drop out like this at another performance so I hope you can help me narrow down to the issue causing the drop outs.

Thank you in advance. Let me know what other information would be helpful.

Sam
Serato, Support
Chez P 9:54 AM - 18 October, 2017
Hey Sam,

Happy we got this issue sorted for you via email!

Cheers!
Samuel Andres 6:21 PM - 18 October, 2017
Agreed!

Thanks for the help!
djpaje 10:05 AM - 8 November, 2017
Chez P,

I am having issues on my rane 64 as well, used turntables, pioneer cdj 2000 nexus and sc5000, it still does the same thing. its doesn't have this behavior when using reloop RMX90DVS. Using MACOSX 10.12.5 , i thought it was a power issue but all my rig is hooked up on a power conditioner. I thought i was the only one having this issue, almost sold my 64 for this lol. Advance thanks for your help.

Paje
DJ Tecniq 10:11 AM - 8 November, 2017
Never connect your 1000+ DJ mixer to a USB hub always connect it directly to the laptop for best playback.
djpaje 10:29 AM - 8 November, 2017
the mixers are always hooked up directly to the laptop. Nexus's/ SC5000 on non-powered USB Splitter. My apologies for not clarifying.
Serato, Support
Chez P 8:18 PM - 8 November, 2017
Hey @djpaje,

Can you get in contact with support about your issue? Click the 'Open Help Request' button to the right of this message.

Cheers.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:28 AM - 9 November, 2017
Quote:
the mixers are always hooked up directly to the laptop. Nexus's/ SC5000 on non-powered USB Splitter. My apologies for not clarifying.

this is unrelated to your issues but I will like to know how the lightest jog wheel setting of your Denon SC5000 compare to your Pioneer CDJ 2000 Nexus?
djpaje 7:17 AM - 9 November, 2017
@marv
nexus feels a bit natural, you put pressure like vinyl. SC5000 feels like an iphone. had issues with vinyl skin wrap on the platter so i removed it. it feels heavier and you dont feel the rollers like the nexus have.