Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

powered subs..need help!!!

Adaryll 6:20 PM - 14 October, 2017
in the market for a powered sub..looking for something reliable. there is so much info out there but i have narrowed it down a bit... currently (fortunately/unfortunately) i have
the qsc k12 and wanted to get some subs . processing wise i have a drive rack pa and several outboard eqs for quick adjustments if need be. i have an ashly15 band , rane dual 31 band and klark technik dual 31 band if the overall system need to be tweaked i hate using the drive racks eq. so here goes my sub list...

srx 818
ps15s (love the size)
jtr captivator 212 (love the size)

there are alot of people in the chat rooms that have worked with other brands experienced successes and failures with powered subs so i am looking for the gurus to offer up your thoughts or offer additional brands models based on their experiences,

regards

sub-less
DJ JulioYEG 8:50 PM - 14 October, 2017
stay away from jtr LOL out that id go with ps15s they're easy to carry are made with quality and sound good. but I do recommend these ev ELX118P or EV ZX1-Sub
djMcClaren 2:57 PM - 15 October, 2017
I would recommend the Bassboss SSp118. I have one and I'm very happy with the quality and sound.
Rebelguy 3:04 PM - 15 October, 2017
Quote:
stay away from jtr LOL out that id go with ps15s they're easy to carry are made with quality and sound good. but I do recommend these ev ELX118P or EV ZX1-Sub

What’s wrong with JTR. They make quality speakers.
DJ JulioYEG 8:45 PM - 15 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

never heard of them no one carries them here either so I cant test them and I don't trust other people opinions sorry to disappoint
DJ JulioYEG 8:48 PM - 15 October, 2017
Quote:
I would recommend the Bassboss SSp118. I have one and I'm very happy with the quality and sound.

I heard some good stuff about them saw some coverage of them at the dj expo
Rebelguy 3:06 AM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

never heard of them no one carries them here either so I cant test them and I don't trust other people opinions sorry to disappoint

I can say the same thing about Yorkville as no store in my area carries them. I wouldn’t make a statement saying to stay away from them unless I heard them myself though.
SG SOUNDS 11:31 AM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:

Stay away from JTR???? are you serious???? the JTR captivator is in a totally different league than yorkville or ev speakers mentioned above...and yes nobody carries them, you have to contact JTR to purchase their speakers...in terms of sound quality the JTR captivator will totally blow away the ps15,elx118 and the ev zx1, it's not even close...If you never heard about JTR speakers google it up and learn...
Adaryll 9:06 PM - 16 October, 2017
ok guys dont fight...lol @rebel guy....so you have a few bucks in your pocket regardless of the brands or models mentioned that i have looked at, what would your purchase for yourself..i do r&b, top 40, and reggae parties....somewhat bass intensive ...however gone are my days of carrying eaw double 18;s my back cant take it! I know you guys are knowlegable so i want to understand the who and why of subs. what are you impressed with or what has worked for you?? thanks a million
DJ JulioYEG 9:20 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
ok guys dont fight...lol @rebel guy....so you have a few bucks in your pocket regardless of the brands or models mentioned that i have looked at, what would your purchase for yourself..i do r&b, top 40, and reggae parties....somewhat bass intensive ...however gone are my days of carrying eaw double 18;s my back cant take it! I know you guys are knowlegable so i want to understand the who and why of subs. what are you impressed with or what has worked for you?? thanks a million

what ever we suggest for u may not work for what you need to go to your local store tell them ur price range and listen to very sub in that range and buy the one that works for you.
pdidy 1:49 AM - 17 October, 2017
Quote:
stay away from jtr LOL

media.giphy.com
Adaryll 2:17 AM - 17 October, 2017
pdidy whats your take brother lol lay it on me...... what do u recommend
pdidy 3:18 AM - 17 October, 2017
Quote:
pdidy whats your take brother lol lay it on me...... what do u recommend

from the options given its srx 818 vs jtr captivator 212......but if size matters the jtr is the easy winner.
Adaryll 7:20 AM - 17 October, 2017
any other brands/models i should look at besides those mentioned in my orignal post.
pdidy 8:33 AM - 17 October, 2017
Quote:
any other brands/models i should look at besides those mentioned in my orignal post.

I currently own a JBL VRX system as seen in my profile pic consisting of 6 JBL VRX918sp subs but if I were to upgrade today while remaining portable my choices would be the....

RCF - SUB 8004-AS vs Bassboss sp118

Both subs are confirmed "Badass" and loved by professional sound companies around the world.
Taipanic 2:49 PM - 17 October, 2017
Quote:
stay away from jtr LOL

LOL is right. You should only offer advice about things you actually know about.

What kind of gigs are you doing, weddings, pubs, outside events? JTR makes super high quality gear, I own their Orbit Shifters and Noesis 3TX speakers. I have not heard the Cap212 yet but Jeff's specs are usually dead on accurate, which means these go down to 35hz, lower than a Yorkville LS800/801. You won't get the same effect as any of their 18" subs but I think they will be perfect for weddings, pubs and small clubs. I will pick up a pair after I get another set of Orbit Shifters.

The SRX is a solid choice, if you have the room the double 18 is a much better deal.

You might also want to check out the new Yorkville ESP 18. Goes a little lower than the LS801, the box is also smaller and easier to manage, but still pretty big. I also have an LS800 and for dance music it rattles a lot of stuff and sounds good, but no where near the sound quality of the Orbit Shifters.
DJ Tecniq 6:45 PM - 17 October, 2017
QSC KW181 sound pretty damn good imo and they are so light & easy to transport. Yeah Yorkville's are cool and all but no wheels for easy transport and they are heavy. I always look for convenience in subs. Two KW181's sound beautiful paired with two tops.
DJ Tecniq 6:47 PM - 17 October, 2017
I can fit two KW181's and my tops plus everything else needed in my SUV. No trailer needed and pack up is easy at every gig. I'll take that over anything any day.
DJ JulioYEG 9:20 PM - 17 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
stay away from jtr LOL

LOL is right. You should only offer advice about things you actually know about.

What kind of gigs are you doing, weddings, pubs, outside events? JTR makes super high-quality gear, I own their Orbit Shifters and Noesis 3TX speakers. I have not heard the Cap212 yet but Jeff's specs are usually dead on accurate, which means these go down to 35hz, lower than a Yorkville LS800/801. You won't get the same effect as any of their 18" subs but I think they will be perfect for weddings, pubs and small clubs. I will pick up a pair after I get another set of Orbit Shifters.

The SRX is a solid choice, if you have the room the double 18 is a much better deal.

You might also want to check out the new Yorkville ESP 18. Goes a little lower than the LS801, the box is also smaller and easier to manage, but still pretty big. I also have an LS800 and for dance music, it rattles a lot of stuff and sounds good, but nowhere near the sound quality of the Orbit Shifters.

I only see the same people backing jtr on the forums you being one of them. I've looked else where trying to find reviews and gig log nothing really, more of there home systems. I don't see a lot of them here in Canada so i was just recommending the reputable companies you know like ones that are actually able to be purchased in-store and dont have to meet up with someone like you to hear a system before i purchase it ;) i just told him to stay away from them because no one really knows about them.. also its my opinion.. everyone has there preferences
ur a jtr guy im a ev guy :-) have a good one !
pdidy 1:30 AM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
i just told him to stay away from them because no one really knows about them.. also its my opinion.. everyone has there preferences

media.giphy.com

dude just stop, I have a 2 face-palm limit....lol
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:52 AM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
i just told him to stay away from them because no one really knows about them.. also its my opinion.. everyone has there preferences

media.giphy.com

dude just stop, I have a 2 face-palm limit....lol

He said stay away from JTR and gave props to the worst of the EV subs the ELX118. WTH?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:54 AM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I currently own a JBL VRX system as seen in my profile pic consisting of 6 JBL VRX918sp subs but if I were to upgrade today while remaining portable my choices would be the....

RCF - SUB 8004-AS vs Bassboss sp118

Both subs are confirmed "Badass" and loved by professional sound companies around the world.

Man I have a love affair with those 8004s. I don't need them but damn I want them.
pdidy 2:47 AM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
Man I have a love affair with those 8004s. I don't need them but damn I want them.

Same here and I have absolutely no logical reason to want more than I have. Its an obsession I constantly have to talk myself out of doing......I went to RCF's New Jersey location a few months ago and and nearly lost my mind and bought the whole system....lol
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com
pdidy 2:54 AM - 18 October, 2017
For those that are unfamiliar with the jtr captivator 212pro here's a few pics.....
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com
Rebelguy 5:32 AM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
For those that are unfamiliar with the jtr captivator 212pro here's a few pics.....
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com

How do they compare to a VRX918 or a KW181?
pdidy 10:46 AM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com

How do they compare to a VRX918 or a KW181?

Im unaware of any side by side comparisons. But being that the jtr captivator 212pro was measured by an independent company we know its capable of 130db in the real world and goes down to 40hz. The VRX918sp is measured at 129db and goes down to 31hz. The kw181's spl is calculated (aka marketing lies) but I know from personal experience the VRX is louder and lower than the qsc.
Taipanic 2:57 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
QSC KW181 sound pretty damn good imo and they are so light & easy to transport. Yeah Yorkville's are cool and all but no wheels for easy transport and they are heavy. I always look for convenience in subs. Two KW181's sound beautiful paired with two tops.

Just to clarify, the Yorkville LS800/801/ESP18 do have wheels. They are heavy boxes and the older LS models are bigger & bulkier than the new ESP models. They do hit harder than any other 18 in their price range though the sound can be a little muddy, as compared to higher end subs. The rep at Infocomm said one of their design goals with the new ESP series was to be able to put one in the back of Honda Accord sized vehicle.
DJ Tecniq 3:05 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
Just to clarify, the Yorkville LS800/801/ESP18 do have wheels. They are heavy boxes and the older LS models are bigger & bulkier than the new ESP models. They do hit harder than any other 18 in their price range though the sound can be a little muddy, as compared to higher end subs. The rep at Infocomm said one of their design goals with the new ESP series was to be able to put one in the back of Honda Accord sized vehicle.
My bad you are right it does have wheels but it's still wider and heavier than a EV or QSC 18" sub. I've got two Yorkville 18"s in my SUV but it was a very tight fit. With two QSC KW181's it fits comfortably with more room for other equipment. And you can't beat the price range of a EV or QSC.
Taipanic 4:25 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
My bad you are right it does have wheels but it's still wider and heavier than a EV or QSC 18" sub. I've got two Yorkville 18"s in my SUV but it was a very tight fit. With two QSC KW181's it fits comfortably with more room for other equipment. And you can't beat the price range of a EV or QSC.

Agree, I couldn't put 2 LS800/801s in my SUV plus gear, the new series is closer in size to the QSC (but still a bit bigger).
The QSC is a good sub that is easy to move around and fairly bulletproof.