Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

I use an old macbook

DJ Fobia 10:01 PM - 7 October, 2017
Hi

I've bought Serato dj and a denon dj mc2000 controller
I use an old macbook but with a new ssd hard drive ..
can anyone tell me how I have to put my preferences so that Serato dj works the best with my old macbook and maybe also the preferences in my macbook or what I can do extra with my old macbook .. Serato dj must work at it best ! I noticed that sometimes it briefly stops (the music in serato dj while I'm mixing) so how can I solve this ?

maybe I'm stupid because my old macbook doesn't even have i3 processor ..

can anyone help me ?
pdidy 10:20 PM - 7 October, 2017
Two neighboring farmers had a problem with their plow horses breaking through the fence and getting mixed up. They couldn't tell them apart, so they tried various methods to ID them, first cutting off the mane of one...but it grew back.

They then tried putting some paint markings on one but it washed off.

Finally they decided to measure them. That's when they found out that the white horse was 6" taller than the black horse.

Details are important ;)
DJ Fobia 10:29 PM - 7 October, 2017
Except for the i3 processor i have all the necessary specs on my MacBook !
pdidy 11:12 PM - 7 October, 2017
lol
pdidy 11:19 PM - 7 October, 2017
DJ Fobia 11:53 PM - 7 October, 2017
What am i with this Joke dude ?
AddamXavier 1:16 AM - 8 October, 2017
What pdidy is asking: What version MacBook do you have? as many specs as possible will help people here answer your question. So far you've just told us Macbook with an i3. Is it a Pro? Air?
deejdave 1:39 AM - 8 October, 2017
Quote:
So far you've just told us Macbook with an i3.

Quote:
maybe I'm stupid because my old macbook doesn't even have i3 processor

I think he has told us the exact opposite. If you do not have an i3 processor you will need a version of SDJ prior to 1.8 serato.com as that is when they dropped Core2Duo processors. While you may need to bump up the latency buffer (possibly to 10ms) and drop the screen updates you SHOULD be able to run successfully as long as you are not using PnT etc.
AddamXavier 1:56 AM - 8 October, 2017
Ah good catch. so yeah, Macbook is all we have. And i prefer not to make assumptions.
deejdave 2:09 AM - 8 October, 2017
Well the first MacBook ever had a Core Duo until it was replaced by the i series processors and he says he does not have one so we do know for a fact it is a Core Duo. We also know
Quote:
Except for the i3 processor i have all the necessary specs on my MacBook !

so from there we know all we need to know unless I am missing something..........
DJ Fobia 2:17 AM - 8 October, 2017
MacBook late 2009 (13 inch)
2,26 GHz Intel core 2 duo
4gb 1067 MHz DDR3
And i have new ssd hard drive
And i run 10.12.6 macos sierra
deejdave 2:32 AM - 8 October, 2017
Go with suggestion above. You should and I repeat "SHOULD" be fine as long as you tweak settings and optimize your MacBook accordingly using these two guides.

support.serato.com

support.serato.com

Not all that relevant for more modern (capable) machines but crucial for machines that are lacking/dated.
DJ Fobia 2:59 AM - 8 October, 2017
PnT etc .. ? What do you mean ?
deejdave 3:05 AM - 8 October, 2017
Pitch n Time DJ expansion which was introduced prior to 1.8 but it requires an 15 or higher to run.
DJ Fobia 3:28 AM - 8 October, 2017
Deejdave ! Thx !

Appreciate it !

It seems to work good now

It was when i used effects that sometimes the music stopped ..

Thx !
deejdave 3:34 AM - 8 October, 2017
All good.
DJ Fobia 9:57 AM - 8 October, 2017
I have the expansion fx pack ..

Can that cause problems ?
AddamXavier 1:28 PM - 8 October, 2017
Yes, effects use more processor power as a general rule. Having the pack enabled shouldn't hurt anything, but using them can. Theoretically you should be ok if you're using it sparingly and have your computer optimized but i would definitely stress test it at home before using them at a gig.

You might consider upgrading the RAM, it won't help with most dropouts but it helped a 2010 i have run smoother just overall. Another thing to consider is downgrading to an older OS, like Yosemite, if you plan on using the computer to DJ. Older OS's don't use as many background resources as newer ones do.
deejdave 4:45 PM - 8 October, 2017
You should be able to use all FX with no issues.

Serato DJ is a 32 bit application meaning it can only access 4 GB of RAM.

If possible I do agree with the downgrading OS though.

Best bet here is to stick with your current OS. startup SDJ and overload it as much as possible.

All 4 decks on, SYNC on, FX on, PnT on (if you have it) and go to town. See what your system can handle. Open up activity monitor as the CPU bar in SDJ is not the most accurate measurement tool.
DJ Fobia 7:02 PM - 8 October, 2017
i have cleanmymac and Norton antivirus do They cause problems ?
DJ Tecniq 8:21 PM - 8 October, 2017
To all users using i3 machines. I just got the DDJ-SR2 and the i3 is not even mentioned in the specs it only list an i5 or i7 processor. So just something to think about as I think i3 will be phased out soon. Take it as a warningšŸ‘šŸ¼
DJ Tecniq 8:31 PM - 8 October, 2017
You gotta figure SDJ already uses quite a bit of CPU and with later releases more features will be added which adds more processing power. i3 will no longer be an option unfortunately.
DJ Tecniq 8:34 PM - 8 October, 2017
Quote:
MacBook late 2009 (13 inch)
2,26 GHz Intel core 2 duo
4gb 1067 MHz DDR3
And i have new ssd hard drive
And i run 10.12.6 macos sierra
You are shooting yourself in the foot with this laptop. Sierra on a 2009 intel core 2 duošŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø Noooo... it's 2017 time to upgrade.
deejdave 8:56 PM - 8 October, 2017
Tecniq is neglecting to keep in mind you are not looking to run the most current HW with the most current version of SDJ and his comments have nothing to do with what you are looking to accomplish at all. Most of us have learned to take the vast majority of his comments with a grain of salt.

Quote:
i have cleanmymac and Norton antivirus do They cause problems ?

As far as the antivirus etc. they definitely slow things up quite a bit and in most cases are more trouble than they are worth. If you are browsing/downloading legit than the negative side affects become unworthy of the side affects.
DJ Tecniq 9:34 PM - 8 October, 2017
Quote:
Tecniq is neglecting to keep in mind you are not looking to run the most current HW with the most current version of SDJ and his comments have nothing to do with what you are looking to accomplish at all. Most of us have learned to take the vast majority of his comments with a grain of salt.
Quote:
Hey Mcfly he's using a core 2 duo he'll eventually have to upgrade if he ever wants to have the ability of using new features...this is fact!
DJ Tecniq 9:35 PM - 8 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote fail. ^
DJ Tecniq 9:37 PM - 8 October, 2017
Quote:
Lol fucking shit... "Hey Mcfly he's using a core 2 duo he'll eventually have to upgrade if he ever wants to have the ability of using new features...this is fact!"
DJSMASH24 10:27 PM - 8 October, 2017
I'm using MacBook pro 2011 i5 2.3 ghz and I wouldn't dare upgrade past mountain lion and sdj 1.9.2 ,sdj already uses 35 percent cpu.
deejdave 10:30 PM - 8 October, 2017
Quote:
not looking to run the most current HW with the most current version of SDJ

What do you not understand about this? Understanding the content you are attempting to diagnose will generally yield more accurate results.

Learning how to quote wouldn't hurt either :)

IF and WHEN he decides he needs the ability to use new features your typical "buy a new computer" advice could possibly be applicable.
DJ Tecniq 2:09 AM - 9 October, 2017
Quote:
I'm using MacBook pro 2011 i5 2.3 ghz and I wouldn't dare upgrade past mountain lion and sdj 1.9.2 ,sdj already uses 35 percent cpu.
Thank You! Users running Sierra on 2009 laptops are crazy...because running 2017 software on a 09' machine makes total sense...that and Sierra will eat the shit out of the processor.
DJ Fobia 7:48 AM - 9 October, 2017
the guy who put me a new ssd hard drive said that I could use Sierra .. because it's very light
DJ Tecniq 3:25 PM - 9 October, 2017
Quote:
the guy who put me a new ssd hard drive said that I could use Sierra .. because it's very light
He lied to you it's a fact new OS X software uses more CPU. You should be using Yosemite it's much lighter than Sierra.
DJ Fobia 6:16 PM - 9 October, 2017
Actually the guy is my friend and Actually sierra works fine my laptop goes fast and I have No problems running serato dj anymore since I did some changes in serato dj and in my MacBook ..

Iā€™ll See What the future brings and who know iā€™ll Go to Yosemite one day if possible ..
John Calipari 10:25 PM - 9 October, 2017
The 2.2GHZ CoreDuo is even less than the minimum specs for Itch. From what I recall, the minimum for the last few Itch versions was 2.4GHZ Core Duo which would have been a 2010 MB 2.4GHZ White or Pro.

Using something like Memory Clean, CleanMyMac. or a toolbar APP that displays memory usage real time, you should see how much free memory you have free after start-up, without running anything. You may or may not find that Sierra loads more .kext, launch items, etc than Mountain Lion or Yosemite.

I surprised that Sierra even accepted the EFI Chip in a 2009 Mac. I was thinking that support was dropped for any MB older than 2010 staring with EL Cap.
deejdave 11:27 PM - 9 October, 2017
While I am glad to see/hear you are running fine I would not completely dismiss what others are saying. I will maintain that some advice is not the most accessible or helpful at times I do not fully disagree that it may be the best "end game" solution. I would hope you look at all this as a temporary solution and I would furthermore hope if this is a direction you choose to pursue that a newer (more capable and reliable) machine would be on the horizon.

In other words my above solutions were how to squeeze some extra life out of your MacBook which is seemingly what you were looking to do. However I would never claim these are the best solutions or even permanent solutions going forward.

Best of luck.
DJ Fobia 10:41 AM - 10 October, 2017
I think I'm gonna go to Yosemite guys :)
DJ Fobia 10:47 AM - 10 October, 2017
so deejdave .. I download Serato dj version 1.7.8 then when I have Yosemite ?
AddamXavier 1:09 PM - 10 October, 2017
Quote:
so deejdave .. I download Serato dj version 1.7.8 then when I have Yosemite ?

Correct. You can find older versions on the "download archive" section on the lower right of the download page (serato.com). You can also have multiple versions of SDJ installed (support.serato.com) if you want to keep one version as a known stable one and still experiment with newer versions. Serato DJ all look at the same database, so there's no additional prep to use multiple versions.
deejdave 4:05 PM - 10 October, 2017
Yes any version pre 1.8 as that is when they dropped core2duo support. You should be fine but if not go for even earlier although not much changes there. I know for a fact they didnā€™t even allow install on unsupported machines but they eventually went to an ā€œat your own riskā€ basis. Anyways from there be sure to optimize again as s things will change if you successfully downgrade OS.
DJ Tecniq 5:04 PM - 10 October, 2017
Quote:
I think I'm gonna go to Yosemite guys :)
It's not easy to downgrade from Sierra cause it will take you back to El Capitan. You can't downgrade Sierra to Yosemite. So it will be Sierra to El Capitan than downgrade from EC to Yosemite.
deejdave 9:30 PM - 10 October, 2017
support.apple.com

Also if he wants to do a clean install (which is generally the best idea) he can start with and use any OS he pleases.
deejdave 9:32 PM - 10 October, 2017
^^^^ assuming his machine supports said OS of course.

Also the above link applies directly to a specific downgrade directly from Sierra to Yosemite......... discussions.apple.com
mikehabit78 5:53 PM - 11 October, 2017
I just retired (for SDJ) a mid 2009 MacBookPro 15", 4gb ram, 256 HD, El Capitan with a DJM S9, SDJ 1.9.8 set to buffer at 1ms, 2 Tech 12s. All tunes are on a portable 4TB HD.

I had to do a clean install a few years ago to get it working well again. I tried cleaning apps out and going through the utility but the only thing that worked was a clean install and starting from scratch.

For a gig I would set it the buffer to 5ms and only have SDJ running. I only had SDJ, Ableton and Traktor installed on it after the install. Ableton had a bunch of plugins. It worked fine for hours of play. I was able to use all of the FX, Flip, Slice etc with out any hiccups. Make sure the laptop is not covered/airflow blocked. The fans will be blowing hard even though you won't hear them (hopefully).
DJ Fobia 4:49 PM - 3 December, 2017
I stay with sierra :)
carnage 9:47 PM - 3 December, 2017
I haven't read all this thread. But I use a 2011 mbp and it works faultlessly at 1ms
DJ Fobia 10:09 AM - 1 February, 2018
i downgraded to el capitan they recommended me el capitan at idoctor

and i use an old version of serato now ..

works great !