DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Just an observation

Logisticalstyles 1:25 AM - 4 October, 2017
I find it interesting that some of the top turntablists in the world use Native Instruments Z2 mixers yet Rane and Pioneer have a much stronger presence in the turntablism scene. Q-bert and Craze both use it as their choice of mixer and the DMC world champion for the this year and last year both used a Z2. The ironic part is the fact that both DMC champs end up winning the holy grail of Race mixers.
Mr. Goodkat 4:59 AM - 4 October, 2017
i noticed that too. never really thought native instruments knew what it had with that mixer.

it was cheap, highly usable, and had great faders. the usb hubs were smart, the outs were xlr, and even if you mapped it with scratch live it was pretty nice. IMO it the sound was not as good as +-2000$ a with a Serato box, but with Traktor it was really close.

i never got used/liked Traktor more than Serato sl or dj though and sold it.
Logisticalstyles 1:47 PM - 4 October, 2017
I've had a Z2 for a little over a year and I'm considering selling it. I love all of the things you mentioned about it but I hate Traktor. I really tried to get used to using Traktor but it's just not my preference. I use my AMX more than the Z2 and if I do use the Z2 I end up having to use my AMX as the Serato interface which ends up with way too many wires all over the place.

I'm really thinking about selling the Z2 for a S3.
WildcardX 6:26 PM - 4 October, 2017
Quote:
I've had a Z2 for a little over a year and I'm considering selling it. I love all of the things you mentioned about it but I hate Traktor. I really tried to get used to using Traktor but it's just not my preference. I use my AMX more than the Z2 and if I do use the Z2 I end up having to use my AMX as the Serato interface which ends up with way too many wires all over the place.

I'm really thinking about selling the Z2 for a S3.

Recently sold my Z2/Sl3/Sp1 combo and going to an S9. I liked the mixer, sound was pretty good but I got fed up of having so much going on in front my face with the SP1 and SL3 with it even though it was a very functional rig. Had the Z2 for just over a year but only got the SP1 a few months ago.
Logisticalstyles 7:20 PM - 4 October, 2017
How much did you get for the Z2?
pdidy 9:35 PM - 4 October, 2017
aren't both Q-bert and Craze sponsored by traktor ?
WildcardX 10:21 PM - 4 October, 2017
Quote:
How much did you get for the Z2?

Converting from my TTD to USD, I got it sold for like $347.
Logisticalstyles 11:41 PM - 4 October, 2017
Quote:
aren't both Q-bert and Craze sponsored by traktor ?

Yeah, that is true. But I'm sure if they wanted to get sponsored by either Rane or Pioneer that could easily happen. I think they genuinely prefer the Z2.
Logisticalstyles 11:42 PM - 4 October, 2017
Does anyone know if Craze and Q-bert were sponsored by Traktor prior to the Z2?
CMOS 6:20 PM - 5 October, 2017
Quote:
Does anyone know if Craze and Q-bert were sponsored by Traktor prior to the Z2?

Quick google search shows craze rocking with an X1 back in 2010. Z2 came out in 2013 i thinks?
Mr. Goodkat 11:27 PM - 5 October, 2017
i brought him in 07 and he was using serato, but he wouldnt use a ttm 57 for whatever reason.

klever was using traktor since the jump, not sure if he was sponsored but had a whole routine with the x1 and he was doing a lot with craze in that era. maybe there was some tie in with the traktor sponsorship
WildcardX 2:51 PM - 6 October, 2017
If I remember correctly, there was a video with Q doing a side by side with Traktor and Serato and he did mention that he preferred the sound and performance of Traktor over Serato, so it very well might be that it is his preference so naturally the sponsorship would follow suit.
Logisticalstyles 2:55 PM - 6 October, 2017
WildcardX 1:13 PM - 7 October, 2017
Yeah that's it. I think I vaguely remember Grand Master Flash saying he prefers the sound of the scratches with Traktor as well.