DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

#DDJSR VS #DDJSR2 BLOG

leng 12:56 AM - 3 October, 2017
Big up all those that's taken the plunge and upgraded from the SR to the SR2..First and foremost..I didn't upgrade because of the additional features of the SR2 (don't really need them)..I upgraded simply because of that fact... IT'S AN UPGRADE!!
I loved the the DDJSR and had never had a problem with it.It's Reliable,Strong,Responsive and gives the punch needed for any DJ'ing environment.I've always said the only other controller I would get would be the SR2 (if they were to bring out one lol) Failing that I was happy with the SR.Now having upgraded to the SR2 I can now give a comparison..
Instead of going through in details about everything that's obvious about the difference between both controllers i'm just going to briefly go through what made a difference to me.

1)DDJSR2 AND THE #DDJRR ARE THE SAME CONTROLLERS..Difference is the RR is designed for #Pioneer's software #recordbox and the SR2 for #Serato.
(Pioneer are so smart though..I remember when the RR came out and I said YES!!! thats me..But they never made it compatible with Serato lolol..You know what would of happened if it was....

2) DDJ SR2 is a couple MM longer than it's predecessor DDJ SR..So if you had a #Decksaver from your SR for example it won't fit on the SR2...Should still fit in your flight cases and bags designed for the SR though.
(If you need to get a Decksaver ask for one that fits the DDJRR)

3) DDJ SR2 now have backlit Jog wheels.Even though the Pioneer website have both Jogs with the same size Spec,Looking at them and playing with them I beg to differ.I find the Jogs on the DDJ SR2 are slightly bigger (check the pictures)...So far I haven't found out what the light on the jogs signifies if anything at all.

4)SR2 is 18% lighter than the SR

5)DDJS2 has a stand alone mixer like its bigger brothers SX,SX2,SZ and the SZ2...But don't get it twisted..As you go up in models,the soundcards get beefier and louder.So I don't think it's quite ready to test the higher models just yet.
It also comes with a plug (dc in 12v) for you to use when using it to plug in decks or other external devices.Once plugged in you will notice a remarkable difference with the display of the controller....It light's up like a Christmas Tree...It's optional to use plug when using it for just a controller but the lights are not as bright so you can still just plug using the the usb port and play.

6)It looks like pioneer have listened to the public in regards to the mic and given the Mic Output a much needed boost on the SR2.Even though there is no EQ on the mixer(WHY?? May I add kmt lol) the Mic sounded loud and full over the music.
(Haven't yet tested in a hall so watch this space for an update)

7)You'll find when you first connect your laptop to the SR2 you may have to update drivers and may have to update firmware on controller.
Also if your using a Mac make sure is 10.10 (OS X Yosemite) or higher to 10.12.5 ( mac OS Sierra) BUT NOT THE LATEST UPDATE OF
10.13 ( MacOS High Sierra) because its not compatable with the Serato software yet so pleaae wait for announcement from Serato.

So on conclusion it's a great Two channel portable Controller.Supurb Upgrade,Looks and feels great and unless they make a SR3 lol then this is me.But if your a DJ that doesn't use the needle search or have additional decks etc to plug into it then stay with the DDJSR
DDJ SR RETAILS AT £529
DDJ SR2 RETAILS AT £629
Check out West End DJ Tottenham Court road branch Chris 'Rjs' Sweeney
Logisticalstyles 1:39 AM - 3 October, 2017
I'm really interested in getting one of these. Currently using an SB2. I wanted to upgrade to an SR last year but I figured an SR2 couldn't be too far off.
leng 3:29 AM - 3 October, 2017
And your right!!! You'll love it
dj_soo 3:50 AM - 3 October, 2017
I was under the impression that the SR/SX sound cards were identical (and I'm not entirely impressed by the sound quality of either) and that the SZ is a step up because it mixes within the hardware rather than the software. That said, the SZ is still based on the 900NXS sound card which isn't great imo either while the SZ2 should be based on the 900NXS2 which improves sound quality (have not heard the SZ2 or SR2).
popnwave 3:29 PM - 3 October, 2017
I think it comes down to portability imho. If you're looking at the SZ2 you're in a completely different market and if you do video vs audio, the 4 channel stuff really gets pointless until Serato or Rekordbox starts allowing more than 2 video streams.
Audio1 12:04 AM - 19 December, 2017
Ive used the Pioneer DDJ-SR controller for 2 years. 0 issues. For me, The only big upgrade to the SR2 is the addition of DC power and actual XLR master out, where the SR only has 1/4 Dual master out. Solid controller for being a small unit though I want to see how it compares to Roland 202 and Roland 505.
dj_soo 12:07 AM - 19 December, 2017
Roland 202 is more in the vein of an SB2 - only better in just about every way feature-wise
dj_soo 12:07 AM - 19 December, 2017
and oh shit - where have you been hiding?
Audio1 12:09 AM - 19 December, 2017
Quote:
Roland 202 is more in the vein of an SB2 - only better in just about every way feature-wise
I know. Looks like a great backup mixer.

Quote:
and oh shit - where have you been hiding?
Been steady grinding out here for years. MY buddies and I are doing some comparison shopping between SR2 and 505. They seem pretty neck and neck. I love the way the 505/808 platters react in comparison to the SR/SR2.
Audio1 12:28 AM - 19 December, 2017
I found this article that breaks down the SR2 vs the 505. Very similar controllers. djtechzone.com
dj_soo 3:56 AM - 19 December, 2017
I want my partner to get the 505 just so we can use the drum machine in the studio for a bit.

Both are a little big for me and I'm still waiting patiently for the Mixars Primo to drop.
JGlenn 12:49 PM - 22 December, 2017
Nice overview. Did they remove the Pad Plus feature in SR2? It appears so. If not for that, I would upgrade today.
Teeks1 9:00 AM - 27 January, 2018
Ok so I have just received my SR2 and after using the SR for a year I can honestly say it is a lot better. Don’t listen to YouTube videos or people who haven’t used it as their main controller.
The sound quality is ALOT better.
The jog wheels are about a few mm’s bigger.. not really that noticeable. But the overall feel Has been improved.
The back lit jog wheels are a nice touch and jog wheels feel more CDJ-ish if that makes sense.
If you’re thinking of upgrading. DO IT.
dj_soo 9:11 AM - 27 January, 2018
The sound quality of the SR was awful - so an improvement isn't really saying much.

I found it adequate in sound quality, but it lacked for me.

Functionality-wise tho, it's incredible. Only thing I wish it had was jog wheel indicators.
Teeks1 9:19 AM - 27 January, 2018
I was told by a few shops that the sound quality was was the same. Only one shop told me it had been improved. I use it plugged in to the mains.. I’m thinking that might make a difference.
Either way the sound is a lot clearly, punchier and has more clarity.
I haven’t used the xlr outs yet, just the booth out.
dj_soo 9:27 AM - 27 January, 2018
I thought my VCI-380 sounded better. The lows are better and the SR2 just has a bit of dullness to it that doesn't do it for me. Really didn't like the sound of the vinyl preamps especially.

It doesn't sound bad, but I didn't think sounds particularly good either...
Nagaiver 6:34 PM - 14 February, 2018
Thanks to you all who have chimed in regarding the SR2! I bought mine a few weeks ago and am overall happy with it as a controller. Now I'm in the market for a case with laptop stand for it. I believe the SR2 is the same size and layout as the DDJ RR, so I've been looking at the following two options. If any of you have any recommendations regarding cases for the SR2, I'd love to hear them!

www.odysseygear.com

www.odysseygear.com
David Horder 8:39 AM - 8 September, 2018
Hi All. I am looking to upgrade my DDJ SR. I really like this controller and it has never let me down - my only issue with it is I always felt it lacked top end volume compared to a DDJ SX2 for example.

With the New DDJ SR2 it has Mains power (as well as USB). Does anyone know if that increases the overall volume capacity?- is if so I will look to upgrade as it will solve my only issue.

Cheers
König Balthasar 12:50 PM - 14 November, 2018
I have some similar question like David Horder:

- does SB2 has better Sound Quality than SB1?
- is SB2 louder than SB1?

thanks you all for the discussions.
David Horder 9:43 AM - 24 November, 2018
The SR 2 is definitely louder than the SR1 - thats all down to the external power source giving it more juice - I estimate a good 25 % uplift over usb power when I had the SR 1. Re SB1v 2 not sure I had the SB 2 and it was a good little controller but no balanced outputs, usb powered only and also no external input to get you out of jail when you might need to plug in spotify or something from a phone. For the extra money the DDJ SR was a great upgrade over the DDJ SB
Gunni bare 5:42 PM - 18 May, 2019
If your burning a whole in your pocket then go for it .
But if your not and you use a power mixer like I do then wait or switch to roland 808 . Oh ya denon did a pretty good job with prime 4 . And im waiting to see lil more feed back on maybe a wifi direct then im going with prime4. Its really good i used it and its very very powerfull
But if you havent had a SR well what are u waiting for 700$ is awsome price