DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Ddj sr2 vs SX2

DJ MASHOU 5:39 PM - 22 September, 2017
Hi guys, what do you about the new sr2 comparing to the sx2? I have the sx2 and I can't complain about its performance. But by seeing the last upgrade for the sr2, I'm thinking seriously to switch.
Reasons :
Lighter, dedicated sync shift key, 12v output real mixer, more compact, same sound card than the sx2... Thought some of the reasons above are personal choice, I think this upgrade is really a plus in the pioneer range for mobile DJs like.
kvnkrz 1:14 AM - 31 October, 2017
Bigger platters apperently on the sr2 I'm also undecided about which controller to get as backup
eugguy 3:28 AM - 31 October, 2017
Sr2 rocks...been using it more than my sz2.
kvnkrz 3:29 AM - 31 October, 2017
Why is that? I'm curious
Logisticalstyles 3:01 PM - 31 October, 2017
I love my SR2. I just wished there was a display on the jog wheels.
GusGomez 3:09 PM - 31 October, 2017
Quote:

Thinking of getting one as backup and small gigs maybe buying the DVS upgrade to be able to use my TT's at home too
eugguy 3:48 PM - 31 October, 2017
Quote:

It would be the PERFECT controller if there was a display on the jog wheel, however, it still is a pretty great unit.
DJ Tecniq 11:01 AM - 8 December, 2017
Same. Love it. The led jogwheel indicator would of been a nice touch but I’m really digging it esp the touch strip. And i personally love that i have more room to fit my Technics. Check my clip out here
youtu.be
Logisticalstyles 2:31 PM - 8 December, 2017
Quote:
I’m really digging it esp the touch strip.

Interesting. That's the one feature I rarely use. I've tried it on the NS7 and the AFX and never felt it was an essential feature. I'd just as soon use my mouse or track pad.
DJ Tecniq 8:18 PM - 8 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
I’m really digging it esp the touch strip.

Interesting. That's the one feature I rarely use. I've tried it on the NS7 and the AFX and never felt it was an essential feature. I'd just as soon use my mouse or track pad.
Yeah I’ve gotten into the habit of using the touch strip more. Say If i want to skip an entire intro I’ll use the touch strip and set a cue point where needed. I keep forgetting i have the touch strip though lol I’m just not used to having touch strip on a controller but it’s very convenient.
Trini Fresh 2:44 PM - 2 January, 2018
I am interested in this discussion. I have a SB2 and ready to upgrade but unsure if I want to get the SX2 or SR2. Does anyone has anymore information to assist with this? Thus far it seems like the SR2 is the way to go.
RonDu 6:07 PM - 2 January, 2018
I think I'm going to get that SR2. I originally wanted the SR before I got the SB but was reading a lot of bad reviews about it. But I think I'm gonna get the SR2 as it can be used as a mixer. However, if I understand correctly it can't be used as an SL box? I would have to also purchase the DVS software?
Illiment 7:11 PM - 2 January, 2018
is the sound quality improved at all?
dj_soo 7:39 PM - 2 January, 2018
I just picked one up although I'll probably return it.

Sound quality is decent, but I can't say if it's better than the old units (since I don't have them). A/Bing it against my 62, it certainly doesn't measure up. Even A/Bing against my VCI-380, I prefer the sound of the 380.

The vinyl preamps suck tho - vinyl doesn't sound great running in mixer mode.
Illiment 7:54 PM - 2 January, 2018
Quote:
I just picked one up although I'll probably return it.

Sound quality is decent, but I can't say if it's better than the old units (since I don't have them). A/Bing it against my 62, it certainly doesn't measure up. Even A/Bing against my VCI-380, I prefer the sound of the 380.

The vinyl preamps suck tho - vinyl doesn't sound great running in mixer mode.

the original SR sound is pretty bad. It does the job but could def use some improvement. Thinking of trading up for the new one - the i/o 's and "larger" jogs alone seem worth it to me
pdidy 8:06 PM - 2 January, 2018
Quote:

Which is the only reason i dont already own one, DEAL BREAKER.
dj_soo 8:07 PM - 2 January, 2018
If you liked playing on the sr, then you'll love playing on the sr2. There's a lot to like about it, but for me, there are a few things I don't particularly like - lack of jog wheel indicators, short pitch throw, general size of the unit, jog wheel feel in general and a few other nitpicks.

But this is my first pioneer controller outside of a resident I had that used an sz.
DJ Tecniq 2:24 AM - 3 January, 2018
Quote:
I think I'm going to get that SR2. I originally wanted the SR before I got the SB but was reading a lot of bad reviews about it. But I think I'm gonna get the SR2 as it can be used as a mixer. However, if I understand correctly it can't be used as an SL box? I would have to also purchase the DVS software?
You just need the DVS expansion pack to use t-tables or cdjs with it and that’s it.
dj_soo 3:01 AM - 3 January, 2018
And a big enough for table. My Dj area in my house isn't big enough to accommodate the controller in between turntables which is part of the reason I'm probably just going to return it.
DJ Tecniq 3:05 AM - 3 January, 2018
Quote:
And a big enough for table. My Dj area in my house isn't big enough to accommodate the controller in between turntables which is part of the reason I'm probably just going to return it.
Im just using a 8 shelf cube organizer as my table at home which fits perfectly. A 6 ft table would be plenty. I disagree about the sound quality on the SR2 i thought vinyl sounds just fine.
dj_soo 4:16 AM - 3 January, 2018
sounded muddy and lacking in depth and clarity to me - especially when compared to my Rane 62. I was not impressed with the sound of its preamps.
DJ Tecniq 5:42 AM - 3 January, 2018
Quote:
sounded muddy and lacking in depth and clarity to me - especially when compared to my Rane 62. I was not impressed with the sound of its preamps.
You are comparing a controller vs a DJ mixer.
dj_soo 7:35 AM - 3 January, 2018
it's a mixer too and even my vestax 380 sounds better with vinyl. Pioneer has been having a lot of complaints about their new gear and vinyl - mainly in the 250 mk2 and Interface 2 sound card - wouldn't surprise me if they used the same cheap pre amp in the SR2.
SG SOUNDS 5:03 PM - 3 January, 2018
Quote:
is the sound quality improved at all?

No
dj_soo 8:33 PM - 3 January, 2018
I've had the sr2 for about a 5 days now and I think I'm going to return it and wait out the Primo release and hope my vci doesn't die mid-gig.

I am really enjoying the comprehensive controls, but there's too many compromises for me. I thought I could live with the lack of jog wheel indicators but after a bunch of practice sessions, its just not doing it for me.

The size is also problematic as I don't need such a large controller and sticking with itnwould require that I purchase new bags or cases which is just added expense.

Sound quality is just the icing on the cake.
sl1200 5:47 AM - 4 January, 2018
I find the sound "quality" the same on the SX/SX2, SZ & SR.
*(Note: I own an SZ and SR, I sold my SX)

However the sound level/output on the SR is much lower and over driving (red lining) does affect the sound quality. In most caes I use it connected to a dj mixer which resolves this issue.

I have not used the SR2 yet but I have read that the lower sound leve/output should be improved as the SR2 now has an external power source.
dj_soo 6:23 AM - 4 January, 2018
I was under the impression that the SZ was supposed to sound better?

The SR2 definitely gives you more volume when plugged in.
sl1200 8:41 AM - 4 January, 2018
The SZ is almost 30% louder than the the SR and probably 15 to 20% louder than the SX/SX2.

You will reach distortion levels (red lining) easily on the SR. The headroom is limited on the SR and improves on the SX but its best on the SZ.
dj_soo 8:49 AM - 4 January, 2018
The SZ is supposed to have the internals of the 900NXS (mk 1). It mixes using the hardware and not within the software like the SX/SX2 and SR. It's the reason the SZ mk1 didn't have post-fader effects for software effects. It's also supposed to share the sam DACs as the CDJ2000NXS.

Not saying I particularly like the sound of the 900nxs, but it's better than the SX/SR
jeffx169 4:45 PM - 11 February, 2018
I currently have a Sixty-One mixer with a couple of old Denon DN-S3500 decks. I’m looking to finally make the jump to a controller setup. I’ve had my eyes locked on the SX2 for months. Used one before and really liked it. Now I’ve seen the SR2 and think it meets all my requirements (I never mix with more than two decks simultaneously). I still can’t determine from this thread which way to go.
eugguy 5:31 PM - 11 February, 2018
Both are great. If u get a good price on the sr2 it is probably better for your needs.
DJ MASHOU 6:15 PM - 11 February, 2018
Both are great controller. If you don't think it's important for you to have a for channel controller, go for the SR2. It's a good value for the money it has all a professional dj needs to perform.
DJ Tecniq 6:22 PM - 11 February, 2018
I have the SR2 and love it. More room for my Technics is always a plus. It doesn’t have LED indicator jogwheels but honestly that’s fine for me i don’t use it for juggling that’s what my t-tables are for. It would of been nice and i think every 2 ch controller should have led indicators. Pitch is super responsive, fx are good and i love the DVS option. I preordered mine when it first came out only paid $599 got it for $100 off.
DjAirmanHeat 9:42 PM - 19 February, 2018
I originally had DDj-SB2 then went to the SR loved it then I to pre-ordered for the discount and I have had it for the last 3 months and I can say with the added ac plug in that bad boy can get pretty loud. I Dj clubs with it no problem just got to know how to hook up all inputs and check all sound levels to not blow amp other then that the fact it has same sound card as Sx2 leaves it to be best bang for your buck and my opinion.
dj_soo 10:37 PM - 19 February, 2018
wouldn't say the SX2 sounds particularly good tho