Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

How to switch control decks in HID mode on Pioneer CDJ s ?

Vincent Fries 4:57 PM - 13 September, 2017
Hi everybody!
I have troubles with changing the control deck of a Pioneer CDJ in HID mode. Is it possible to change e.g. one CDJ from control deck 2 to control deck 3?
How does it work to switch between the HID mode and e.g. using the CDJ as normal player with USB sticks. When i am in the club and setup everything from scratch all is fine. As soon as another dj plays with usb sticks i canĀ“t switch the CDJ to HID mode and select a control deck. Is there any good tutorial / tricks anywhere?
Thanks for help!
938MyDJ 8:43 PM - 13 September, 2017
Pess "LINK" on the CDJs... then press "BACK" multiple times (or long press)...

This is where you see the "Control Mode"

After you press ENTER, you will be asked to turn the rotary knob (to confirm exit on the current mode).

After choosing a deck on HID mode, I can't find a way to choose a different deck without turning off the unit and re-select again.

Maybe some other CDJ users can chime into this.
katmoda 12:41 PM - 14 September, 2017
ON the CDJ900 I was unable to change the deck assignment once selected.
The only way to change the assignment that I found was to power cycle the CDJ
Vincent Fries 7:12 PM - 14 September, 2017
Looks like we have a bug or missing feature / function here. I always have troubles with setting up my club kit when a dj with usb sticks plays before me... :(
938MyDJ 8:04 PM - 14 September, 2017
If you know the ways, that shouldn't be a problem at all.
Nigel J 4:37 AM - 15 September, 2017
I have a DJM900 & CDJ2000 setup and swap between USB/SD Card/CD and Laptop without issues - If using the laptop, on the non playing CDJ I can select the USB and then play tracks from there, once the mix is complete I can link up the USB device and continue, then do the same in reverse but hit the Link button and select the PC.....works well when doing club sets with multiple DJ's.
What type of mixer are you running the CDJ's thru??
SimoneRainer 2:39 AM - 23 April, 2018
Quote:
I have a DJM900 & CDJ2000 setup and swap between USB/SD Card/CD and Laptop without issues - If using the laptop, on the non playing CDJ I can select the USB and then play tracks from there, once the mix is complete I can link up the USB device and continue, then do the same in reverse but hit the Link button and select the PC.....works well when doing club sets with multiple DJ's.

If I want to play a song from Serato using a CDJ that was previously playing a USB stick (either directly or from the link), how do I do this without problems - I had so much drama last night!!! Is there a process I must go through to add and remove a CDJ to HID mode in Serato.
I worked out that when removing a CDJ from HID mode, remove all USB cables from the CDJ ... is there anything else I'm missing?
I also worked out that when add a CDJ to HID mode, before reinserting the USB cable into the CDJ - make sure I remove any ethernet cabling that might interfere with the link function. What else could I do?
Aptidda 5:03 PM - 23 April, 2018
Grab gallon of water, pour on equipment. Voila!
dj_soo 4:18 AM - 25 April, 2018
Hid on cdjs feels buggy as all shit. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it give you an option for deck assignment, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes its easy to switch between USB sticks and hid other times you have to restart the cdj everytime you want to go back to hid.

Not sure if the fault lies in serato, pioneer, or just that some cdjs I've used don't have the latest firmware, but anytime I need to play on cdjs, I always make sure to bring usb keys with the control tone and my sp1 just in case.
BOOGIEFROMCUR 2:02 AM - 28 April, 2018
First of all use always a powered hub, usually the problem originates there.
second, dont power off the CDJ, just remove the usb in the back of the cdj temporarily so it will recognize it again.
Make sure your firmware is up ta date on the cdj's
katmoda 5:52 PM - 29 April, 2018
@dj_soo
I would say its Serato's HID implementation that's buggy as I don't have an issue when selecting decks using Traktor and using cdj2000's whereas changing deck assignment in Serato usually means I often need to power cycle the CDJ to get the deck assignment to show up again. the latest firmware on the CDJ's
SimoneRainer 4:48 AM - 30 April, 2018
As my Serato works without fault with the Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus, but fails when trying to disconnect or reconnect to the CDJs - I will give up using HID with the CDJs and will use timecode.

It will mean I don't get all the features on the CDJ but nothing is worse than trying to DJ in a packed house and troubleshoot at the same time!!! So much for my

I'm disappointed with Serato at
1) the lack of video tutorials on how connecting, disconnecting, troubleshooting, best practises
2) the lack of videos watching various DJs in actual work situations before, during and after using their product and giving their advice
3) the 1990s style forum layout of Serato forums
Really guys! I know you live in my old home of NZ but do you really have to charge so much but deliver something so backwards
SimoneRainer 4:52 AM - 30 April, 2018
As my Serato works without fault with the Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus, but fails when trying to disconnect or reconnect to the CDJs - I will give up using HID with the CDJs and will use timecode.

It will mean I don't get all the features on the CDJ but nothing is worse than trying to DJ in a packed house and troubleshoot at the same time!!! So much for my investment in various expansion packs

I'm disappointed with Serato at
1) the lack of video tutorials on connecting, disconnecting, troubleshooting, best practises
2) the lack of videos following various DJs in actual work situations before, during and after using their product and giving their advice
3) the 1990s style forum layout of Serato forums where you can't delete or edit a comment

Really guys! I know you live in my old home of NZ but do you really have to charge so much but deliver something so backwards
dj_soo 4:59 AM - 30 April, 2018
I'd say grab an SP-1 - will give you all the controls you miss from HID and more. Only thing you really lose is being able to select tracks directly on the CDJ.
SimoneRainer 6:24 AM - 30 April, 2018
Quote:
I'd say grab an SP-1 - will give you all the controls you miss from HID and more. Only thing you really lose is being able to select tracks directly on the CDJ.

Yeah ... bought one a few years ago but never had to use it because of my controllers functions.
Used it last week and worked like a charm
SimoneRainer 6:37 AM - 30 April, 2018
I might be wrong but I also didn't find any functionality to get the video crossfader working using the Pioneer DJM900 nexus and Club Kit.
I ended up having to get an extra cable - Midi to USB cable and configuring it to move the serato video fader using the mixers audio fader

so I actually had six usb cables going into my laptop via a powered USB hub
2 x cdjs, mixer, hdd, midi, minidisplay port adapter ... wow!!!
SimoneRainer 6:38 AM - 30 April, 2018
sorry ... 7 counting the SP1
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:52 AM - 30 April, 2018
Quote:
I might be wrong but I also didn't find any functionality to get the video crossfader working using the Pioneer DJM900 nexus and Club Kit.
I ended up having to get an extra cable - Midi to USB cable and configuring it to move the serato video fader using the mixers audio fader

so I actually had six usb cables going into my laptop via a powered USB hub
2 x cdjs, mixer, hdd, midi, minidisplay port adapter ... wow!!!

Did you link the crossfaders in the video panel?

Did you try Mixemergency, you can get the demo to see if the x-fader works.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:59 AM - 30 April, 2018
The inability to change Deck assignment once selected in HID using Pioneer CDJs might be a limitation.

I have the Denon SC5000 and i can switch decks easily on those. You can see ABCD decks on the touchscreen or use the Deck Selector button on the hardware.

Basically one SC5000 can control 4 Serato decks.

Might be why Denon called it "Controller Mode" rather than just HID mode.
SimoneRainer 5:22 PM - 17 May, 2019
OK - so I got this going perfectly.

Prior to kicking off the night -
Install ClubKit software
Install Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus software first and configured & nominate which channels Serato will play through (normally channel 2 & 3)

If using Serato Video, turn on the Midi function on the DJM900 mixer (top right corner button labelled on off)
Open Serato & select Video (top left hand corner) to open the video functions
Select Serato's Midi option (top right hand corner)
Click on Serato's Video Xfader and then move the DJM900 Xfader
If Serato's Video Xfader moves at the same time as you move the DJM900 Xfader, its set

Connect a 3 or more port USB hub to my laptop
Made sure the link button on both CDJs is not activated
Make sure you have rebooted your laptop just prior to your performance

Then
1) Insert your USB cable into the Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus Mixer and other end into laptop USB hub , the Pioneer DJM 900 software then pops up showing there is a connection and its working.
2) Check the DJM 900's audio input toggle is on USB and not CD/Line or any other option on the channels you have nominated to receive Serato (channel 2/3?)
3) Make sure the CDJs do not have any ethernet cord connecting the two CDJs - pull out the ethernet cord if need be
4) Open Serato DJ Pro
5) Connect both USB cables to both CDJs and then to my laptop USB hub
6) Pressed the Link button on both CDJs
7) Pressed the Scroll button on both CDJs to start the "link laptop" process
8) The CDJ screen should now show that the CDJ is trying to connect to laptop
9) You should now get a screen on the CDJ showing "CONTROL MODE: Deck 1?" after 10 seconds or less --> If you don't get this screen after 30 seconds, press the Link button on the CDJ, disconnect the USB cables and do steps 5 - 9 again.
11) Select left side deck for Deck 1 and right side deck for Deck 2 by using the CDJ toggle button, and pressing it once you have the correct option.
12) If all else fails, reboot your laptop and do steps 1 - 11 again

IMPORTANT

After finishing your set, ensure you ...
1) Pull out the USB cable from the CDJ port as soon as you have finished using the deck (this is what messed things up for me mostly)
2) If the next DJ is using USB sticks, get him to insert the USB stick into the deck that is not playing
3) Change the audio option on the DJM mixer to CD/Line or whatever audio option the CDJ rca is plugged into
4) Reconnect the ethernet cable back into the back of both CDJs as soon as you have finished using both CDJs

IF YOU ARE PERFORMING A SET AFTER ANOTHER DJ WHO IS USING USB STICKS/SD CARDS

1) Insert your USB cable into the Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus Mixer and other end into laptop USB hub, the Pioneer DJM 900 software should pop up showing there is a connection and its working.
2) If the other DJ is using the "Link" function with only 1 USB stick or SD Card - get the other DJ to play their last song on the same deck where the USB Stick/SD Card is plugged into
3) Make sure the CDJs do not have any ethernet cord connecting the two CDJs - pull out the ethernet cord if need be
4) Change the DJM 900's audio input to USB and not CD/Line or any other option on the channel you have nominated to receive Serato (normally channel 2 or 3). Ensure you don't change the wrong channel or you might just cut off the other DJs playing song.
5) Make sure Serato DJ is open
6) Make sure the link button is not blue and turned off on the CDJ you are about to use
7) Connect your USB cable to the CDJ you are about to use
8) Press the Link button on the CDJ so its blue and active
9) Press the Scroll button on the CDJ to start the "link laptop" process
10) The CDJ screen should now show that the CDJ is trying to connect to laptop
11) You should now get a screen on the CDJ showing "CONTROL MODE: Deck 1?" after 10 seconds or less --> If you don't get this screen after 30 seconds, press the Link button on the CDJ so its off, disconnect the USB cable and do steps 5 - 9 again.
12) Select left side deck for Deck 1 or right side deck for Deck 2 by using the CDJ toggle button, then press the toggle button once you have the correct option.
13) Your CDJ should now be connected
14) If these steps fail, reboot your laptop and do steps 3 - 12 again
15) Once you are successfully playing a song from one deck, repeat steps 3 - 12 for the other deck

Hope this helps
BOOGIEFROMCUR 1:53 PM - 22 October, 2022
As the post is old but still this info is being read I want to add important information.
Many of not all off the problems associated with HID are related to using the proper HUB.
Using a POWERED hub will solve many connecting issues. When using an UNpowered hub reconnecting or switching between recordbox mode and serato HID mode.
HellNegative1 4:37 AM - 23 October, 2022
It is not possible due to the players not having separate sysex or midi channel assignments for each separate deck selection.

You can accomplish this in Traktor using modifiers, however, you will not see the tracks playback position and details on the screen for the other layers.