Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pioneer Rekord Box 5

Johnny H 11:47 AM - 12 September, 2017
Just released

Watchwww.youtube.com

looks like everything we been asking for from serato, but pioneer got there first !

New engine, better design, lighter code, better performance, new layout, better graphics performance, better sound / dsp and so on

come on serato whats going on ? ....
DJ Tecniq 12:09 PM - 12 September, 2017
Pretty soon Serato will be sucking Pioneer's...D! They actually got a echo out that works lol
So Fresh 1:04 PM - 12 September, 2017
i'm finding it really hard to to stay loyal to serato with the lack of innovations. i'm committed for the moment with the dj808 which i do like but was really expecting this to be the start of something and new features to be added. i don't think i will be buying a serato product again when looking at the what the competition has to offer.

look at the serato remote app, has it ever had an update?- they could have done so so much with it.

really disapointed in you guys, i've been in the gang from SL1 day dot!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:37 PM - 12 September, 2017
Did they say Rekordbox VIDEO?????
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:47 PM - 12 September, 2017
I didn't know Rekordbox does video now - man I gotta get out of this forum sometimes....

Watchwww.youtube.com

I know it's probably not better than MixEmergency but wonder how it compares to Serato Video...

Damn DVS AND Video now - No wonder Pioneer DJ bought them corners in the fight - they in it to win it
Djoseviera 3:11 PM - 12 September, 2017
I tested Rekordbox 5.0 & Rekordbox Video in my windows machine, NO ISSUES, NO BUGS.
im using rekordbuddy to move my library to rekordbox, serato video is disappointing.

If serato video have a update without quicktime player, and this works fine in windows, maybe i will return to svj.

PD: sorry for bad englis XD

PD2: Rekord Box 5.0 DVS & Video works fine with my windows machine and ddj-sx2.
Djkom 3:52 PM - 12 September, 2017
Have you noticed we can use different usb/midi devices with NO issues with Rekordbox ???

I mean with SDJ when we use for example an AKAI AFX with the DJM S9, it's completely a mess !!!
- When the pad mode is changed on the afx or s9, it changes also the pad mode on the other devices.
- When triggering some pad on one device it can freeze the other device
- Remappping some pad/button is a nightmare when many usb/midi is connected

DAMN, Rekordbox should be seriously considered now ! The DDJ XP1 which includes Rekordbox DJ and Rekordbox licenses for only 259€ seems to be a VERY NICE DEAL !
Dj cuervo 3:58 PM - 12 September, 2017
It allows for any sound card like Virtual DJ. They are coming from Serato since you can use Serato approve hardware now. SL boxes and Rane mixer can be used for easy switching. Serato has to move past the sound card limitations.
Djoseviera 4:00 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
DAMN, Rekordbox should be seriously considered now ! The DDJ XP1 which includes Rekordbox DJ and Rekordbox licenses for only 259€ seems to be a VERY NICE DEAL !

Yes! I will purchase, when my local store have stock!
R-A-C 5:40 PM - 12 September, 2017
i just tried the trial and as far as i'm concerned that was a fail. here's why ...

the bugs first:
- my audio device was not remembered. had to set it again after every start.
- midi didn't work at all. mapping worked and the displayed midi codes were correct but trying to use them had no effect at all. maybe i missed an "activate" button somewhere but otherwise it just didn't work.

not a bug but by design:
- compared to serato, analyzing a track takes a fair bit longer.
- the sound. it lacks low end and the highs are a little dull.
- the load is ridiculous. it takes 3 times as much as the latest serato and still twice as much as the lastest traktor.

although even one of the last two points would be enough for me to ditch it already i'll list the rest of what i didn't like personally:
- the waveforms are too small
- the waveform zoom level doesn't go out far enough
- the font size on the decks is too small (goes for sdj as well tho). i want bpm and track time to be large (ssl ftw)
- the beat grid markers are too bright. i wanna see the waveform first and foremost and not the markers
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:03 PM - 12 September, 2017
So your basically calling it a fail because of cosmetic stuff 😂😂
popnwave 6:05 PM - 12 September, 2017
RB 5.0 is no magic bullet. It's interesting and I am going to upgrade to the final version (been playing with the beta) this weekend.

Yes it does some nice things and their work on their video plug in makes it look like a viable contender for PC users especially (as a VDJ alternative).

There are some things that it does that I still prefer SDJ over BIG time. If you have problems the user base isn't nearly as active as the one here, but since I haven't had to deal with PIO support I can't tell you how that fares if run into problems.

What R-A-C talks about isn't just cosmetic, it's usability for a lot of people. And while I do feel like it has a heavier load, I haven't had any drop outs while using it. I just dread messing with my cue points.
R-A-C 6:08 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
So your basically calling it a fail because of cosmetic stuff 😂😂

you might wanna read my post again. especially the first 2 paragraphs.
VP 6:10 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
i just tried the trial and as far as i'm concerned that was a fail. here's why ...

the bugs first:
- my audio device was not remembered. had to set it again after every start.
- midi didn't work at all. mapping worked and the displayed midi codes were correct but trying to use them had no effect at all. maybe i missed an "activate" button somewhere but otherwise it just didn't work.

not a bug but by design:
- compared to serato, analyzing a track takes a fair bit longer.
- the sound. it lacks low end and the highs are a little dull.
- the load is ridiculous. it takes 3 times as much as the latest serato and still twice as much as the lastest traktor.

although even one of the last two points would be enough for me to ditch it already i'll list the rest of what i didn't like personally:
- the waveforms are too small
- the waveform zoom level doesn't go out far enough
- the font size on the decks is too small (goes for sdj as well tho). i want bpm and track time to be large (ssl ftw)
- the beat grid markers are too bright. i wanna see the waveform first and foremost and not the markers

let them know in the rekordbox forum.

serato still has a long lead over rekordbox. at least a year... they need one or 2 or 3 fixes of this version 5. no version comes out perfect out the box. not even serato dj got it's act together in version 1.9.6 after years.
al83 6:41 PM - 12 September, 2017
I've been on the Rekordbox train for a little while now as SDJ simply wasn't cutting it. v4 was the version that really made me take notice, I can say that v5 is very lean, much faster, more efficient, great GUI re-design and generally seems very impressive.
DJ Tecniq 6:57 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
I didn't know Rekordbox does video now - man I gotta get out of this forum sometimes....

Watchwww.youtube.com

I know it's probably not better than MixEmergency but wonder how it compares to Serato Video...

Damn DVS AND Video now - No wonder Pioneer DJ bought them corners in the fight - they in it to win it
Rekordbox Video has been out for a year now what I love about it is the camera input feature however there is not built in recording for video yet...so kinda pointless if you want to record a video set. youtu.be
alec.tron 12:25 AM - 13 September, 2017
Quote:
I can say that v5 is very lean, much faster, more efficient, great GUI re-design and generally seems very impressive.

I've been keeping an eye on them as well, and RB5 is slowly starting to become a real contender. For me metadata (multi value & custom fields for mp3/id3 & flac/vorbis) is the one feature I do really want nowadays, and unfortunately Pioneer did not get that in either yet... so I'll be still waiting & hoping for one of the 3 to finally bring that to the table...

I do like what I see from the RB core rewrite... let's see if they can extend & add features to this as easily & reliably as modern software dev should allow, which Serato & NI both are miles away from with their current DVS packages...

c.
popnwave 2:54 AM - 13 September, 2017
I will say the GUI is butter smooth on my 2012 MBP vs the stutter fest I've gotten using SDJ these days :D
Mr. Goodkat 3:13 AM - 13 September, 2017
Quote:
I will say the GUI is butter smooth on my 2012 MBP vs the stutter fest I've gotten using SDJ these days :D

i noticed that too, plus when you pull up a track it instantly(or within 2-3 seconds) it completely shows the full waveform. not a huge deal but nice if you need to pull up a track quickly that you haven't analyzed
al83 4:47 AM - 13 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

i noticed that too, plus when you pull up a track it instantly(or within 2-3 seconds) it completely shows the full waveform. not a huge deal but nice if you need to pull up a track quickly that you haven't analyzed

It's actually a huge deal and it's things like this that make all the difference when you're working with a program for hours everyday.
dj zaza 5:59 AM - 13 September, 2017
why not discredit Serato, I do not accept the policy he is using, I would also like a cooler, lighter and more stable program, as I may have said in other posts that Serato has never been to the top in these years however the software most used, I know that developers are not in the office to turn the thumbs, I also tried RB, it is true on Windows and all very fluid, but lacking functions that did not make me decide to change. the only thing I'm sorry about is that they've pulled out 2 versions only for new products, I think we should wait for 2018 for something really innovative.
popnwave 2:45 PM - 13 September, 2017
Quote:
why not discredit Serato, I do not accept the policy he is using, I would also like a cooler, lighter and more stable program, as I may have said in other posts that Serato has never been to the top in these years however the software most used, I know that developers are not in the office to turn the thumbs, I also tried RB, it is true on Windows and all very fluid, but lacking functions that did not make me decide to change. the only thing I'm sorry about is that they've pulled out 2 versions only for new products, I think we should wait for 2018 for something really innovative.

I'll leave the innovation for the hardware. Software needs to #1 work and work well.
NUdisc0 3:29 AM - 14 September, 2017
I remember when Denon used to be the industry standard in dj CD players. Pioneer was the outsider, but that all changed with the DJM-500 and CDJ-1000 (first CD player with realistic scratching). And the CDJ-2000 is an auophile player for DJing. I think RB is going to overtake Serato and Traktor
al83 4:43 AM - 14 September, 2017
Quote:
I remember when Denon used to be the industry standard in dj CD players. Pioneer was the outsider, but that all changed with the DJM-500 and CDJ-1000 (first CD player with realistic scratching). And the CDJ-2000 is an auophile player for DJing. I think RB is going to overtake Serato and Traktor

Their position within the DJ market is phenomenal and it always was an inevitable move for them, and they certainly know what the user wants and making huge strives to achieve it.
R-A-C 6:27 AM - 14 September, 2017
Quote:
the CDJ-2000 is an auophile player for DJing

can i quote that? best sarcasm i've read in a long time :-P
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:28 AM - 14 September, 2017
Seems to me that they are focusing on any one who is new to djing in terms of price point of the hardware that's bundled with Rekordbox DJ. They already a strong option based on price alone.

Only one or two more moves to start wooing older DJs

1. Drop the price of the software only package and plug ins to €50 (all in - DVS, Video etc) as most djs in that category already have hardware.

2. Free Migration tool from the major software (Virtual DJ, Traktor, Serato)

3. Get 2/3 product ambassador in different styles of djing that can push their agenda

I've got an S9 but no way in hell will I be paying 250 for Rekordbox DJ + DVS + Video
NUdisc0 12:46 PM - 14 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
the CDJ-2000 is an auophile player for DJing

can i quote that? best sarcasm i've read in a long time :-P

Go ahead :)
938MyDJ 8:45 PM - 14 September, 2017
Quote:
I've got an S9 but no way in hell will I be paying 250 for Rekordbox DJ + DVS + Video

+1

But if it's true that the XP1 is bundled with the license, that's a bonus for me becoz I will definitely get one of these.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:52 PM - 14 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

+1

But if it's true that the XP1 is bundled with the license, that's a bonus for me becoz I will definitely get one of these.

That's a way around it. I have no need for the XP1, fewer knobs than I'd like otherwise would have made for a Resolume controller . My SP6 is collecting dust since I got the S9.
938MyDJ 10:28 PM - 14 September, 2017
Did you mean, SP1?

I have that too and still get used along with my SRT/DJM2000NXS or as supplement to SZ/SX2 to control Decks 3/4.

But I've been happier using the 808+AIRA on my recent gigs.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:37 PM - 14 September, 2017
Quote:
Did you mean, SP1?

I have that too and still get used along with my SRT/DJM2000NXS or as supplement to SZ/SX2 to control Decks 3/4.

But I've been happier using the 808+AIRA on my recent gigs.

SP1 rather

I just prefer setting up with minimal fuss. One USB (if using controller or s9) in and call it a day. When I have to use cdjs I already have the hub connected in my gig bag too. I also tend to use the hardware effect mostly if at all.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:39 PM - 14 September, 2017
I could buy the 250 MK2 for the fun of it though. But I wont be adding any value to what I already own.