Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Why do everyone lower their gain buttons but leave the gain track so high ?

mixgoonie 7:44 AM - 12 September, 2017
It was a question i just asked myself recently in a party where the track gain was nearly in the red but the gain button position was 30% lower than the middle position.

I've seen some other many Youtube videos in the same position. Was not simply lower the track below the yellow for example (manually or with autogain on 89gb) and put the gain know in the middle position ?

In this case, i saw this mainly with the hardware DDJ SX1 or 2.
DJ Tecniq 12:07 PM - 12 September, 2017
For some reason a lot of Pioneer hardware will bleed the gains in the 12 o clock position. I have this problem with my sb2 so i don't usually have the gain levels on the sb2 halfway. It's either a Pioneer problem or auto gain issue.
Hanginon 2:43 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
I've seen some other many Youtube videos in the same position. Was not simply lower the track below the yellow for example (manually or with autogain on 89gb) and put the gain know in the middle position ?

That's exactly what I do - autogain @ 89db. Definitely sounds better. I have no idea why the default is 92db.
mixgoonie 2:47 PM - 12 September, 2017
Glad i am not the only one feeling that way ;)

Try now to put autogain off but you lower the track gain so that it gets below the yelow, that will sound even better i feel.
DJ Tecniq 6:53 PM - 12 September, 2017
I don't even use auto gain it sounds terrible. Turn it off and you'll notice the audio quality sounds more full and punchy. Auto gain on just sounds very flat to me.
R-A-C 8:27 PM - 12 September, 2017
autogain itself isn't bad, it depends on each song. and also on the used hardware.

for example, if your song would have to be raised above 0db to match your autogain setting it might get brickwalled at 0db which can make it sound flat. that again depends on each song.
all-in-one controllers are most prone to that. in return if you're using a standalone soundcard like the SL1/2/3/4 and ideally an analog mixer you should rarely get that problem if at all.