DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Needle recommendation

fggs 2:42 AM - 11 September, 2017
Good evening guys,

I'm replacing my needles and thought about asking before buying.

I have 2 Technics SL-1210MK2 and currently using Ortofon Concorde but one is different from the other. I don't scratch much and I don't have too many vinyls.

Can I use a Shure M44-7 with Technics Shell in this case?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I think I saw an article about how to organize the songs in Serato DJ, but I can't find it now, can someone show me the link? Thanks!
spike12 9:58 PM - 11 September, 2017
the 44-7's are meant for scratching, but they do track well.

Are you unhappy with your Concordes? I'm just curious as to why you want to spend so much on needs if you don't scratch and are only using DVS? Typically you spend your money on needs for high fidelity or tracking, if software makes none of these an issues for you, you may be able to go for a cheaper pair.
fggs 10:22 PM - 11 September, 2017
Thank you for your fast reply spike12!

Well, as I said they are different from each other, I bought them second hand and in different time, one is a Concorde Pro with Pro S shell, the other is DJ S.

Which ones do you recommend?
fggs 4:36 PM - 14 September, 2017
Hi guys,

What are my options then, given I don't scratch?

Thank you!
deezlee 7:29 PM - 14 September, 2017
44-7s are nicer to records. Concords are good and loud when using real records (house djs like them) but they chew the records up more.
Some people focus on their needles and buy new kinds when they come out, they probly have a current favorite but I just grab a new pair of 44-7 status' once in a while and I'm good.
fggs 7:40 PM - 14 September, 2017
Thank you! 44-7 it is!
DJ Matty Stiles 1:49 PM - 15 September, 2017
Even though you don't scratch. The m-447s have a high output and they don't wear your records like concordes do.

If I were to go concordes my first choice would be the serato needle, Q-berts although made for scratching are really durable and have an excellent output. The blue Dj Concorde is like the jack of all trades, a little more affordable. And the pro s is the entry level Concorde. For me, as a scratcher I would go for pinks, seratos and Q berts. But That's me

Look you can still use the above scratching cartridges because remeber at the end of the day you're just tracking a signal. Scratching cartridges are more durable and have a high output. Realistically you'll be fine with most higher end ortofons and of course the shure. Most of its marketing anyway to be honest.

So go m-447, seratos or q-berts. They would be my primary options. My secondary options would be pinks or blues

This question a couple of years ago would've gotten s ton of responses. It amazes me how quickly things change. Guess we are swamped with the controller market. There's nothing better than talking shop about records and needles. I miss it
Aptidda 6:16 PM - 21 September, 2017
Just get some m447's. I have the Q Bert Concorde's as well as just bought the Shure M447's, I like the M447's better. The tracking is out of this world good.
DJ Matty Stiles 1:14 PM - 22 September, 2017
Just be weary the shures are longer and springier than the concordes, which are shorter and stubbier. So just be weary of that. They are a little easier to break. Just dont be super heavy handed
fggs 1:17 PM - 22 September, 2017
Thanks guys for the recommendations, I've bought the M44-7, I've installed it already but I have some questions regarding the installation and turntable setup, should I open a new post?
DJ Matty Stiles 1:24 PM - 22 September, 2017
post here if you want ill try to answer the question
fggs 2:34 PM - 22 September, 2017
I've installed them on the original Technics headshell that came with MK2, but I've put the washers and the nuts on the bottom side of the cartridge instead of the shell, which is the opposite of the instructions from Shure, is it ok?

Also, I've followed the instructions from Shure for weight and tonearm height, for standard dj it says 3 grams and tonearm height of 4-5, I'm using 4.

I hope it is all ok.
DJ Matty Stiles 3:26 PM - 24 September, 2017
regarding screws and washers, shouldnt make too much of a difference, you can always go back and re-assemble if you want

regarding weight, keep in mind that the companies will always be on the conservative side when it comes to recommending weight. I guess there is no right or wrong answer. When I play out I use full weight, when i practice, it may be full weight or just off.

These videos should help regarding the setup:
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
deezlee 6:44 AM - 3 October, 2017
I use 2.5 grams for 45s and 3 for 12s

No facts about why, just guessing what's good I guess.
spike12 5:33 PM - 3 October, 2017
Quote:
I use 2.5 grams for 45s and 3 for 12s

No facts about why, just guessing what's good I guess.

Usually 45 have deeper grooves and better sound. I do the same.
fggs 6:58 PM - 3 October, 2017
Is it common for a needle to skip if the vinyl is dirty somehow?

I'm using 3 grams, tonearm height 0 (it seems to be straight and parallel) and 0 anti-skating, but both my turntables are skipping somewhere in the middle of the vinyl.

Any other tips?
spike12 9:30 PM - 3 October, 2017
yes, or it could also be warped
Aptidda 9:36 PM - 3 October, 2017
try different vinyl, some of mine skip bad some don't. depends on the quality of the pressing.