DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Thoughts on Pioneer DJM-S3

lvmez 2:44 PM - 7 September, 2017
www.pioneerdj.com

Looks good. I'm sure it will be over priced but if it is under $1000, I think it will sell very well.
Gio Alex 3:30 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
www.pioneerdj.com

Looks good. I'm sure it will be over priced but if it is under $1000, I think it will sell very well.

I'm sure it would and SHOULD be under a $1000 considering it's lacking features, and other Mid-Pro level Serato mixer for $1000 do a lot more; reloop rmx 90 dvs, mixars duo (well under 1K).
Gio Alex 3:33 PM - 7 September, 2017
DJM 250 with Serato built in.
kip 3:34 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
if it is under $1000

Already overpriced at $549.
Gio Alex 3:44 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
if it is under $1000

Already overpriced at $549.

Could be worse, for pioneer that's under priced. I still think they could've slapped 4-8 midi buttons and priced it at 600-700 and called it a day.
Mr. Goodkat 4:43 PM - 7 September, 2017
i can only imagine how bad it sounds plus no fx. should be $399 or $299
Gio Alex 4:49 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
i can only imagine how bad it sounds plus no fx. should be $399 or $299

Yeah but serato wouldn't get paid though lol
Mr. Goodkat 5:05 PM - 7 September, 2017
serato is in such an awkward position with all these mixers, always takes them to a slightly overpriced mixer.

i realize that they arent the size of the other companies but they really should have looked at a hardware route for at least something low price but good quality like the z2.

imo that mixer pretty much proved that everything mixer compatible with serato is over priced.

i stil cant imagine buying a pioneer 900nx22 or a mp 2015 and STILL having to shell out an extra 100-200 to use it with serato.
Gio Alex 5:19 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
serato is in such an awkward position with all these mixers, always takes them to a slightly overpriced mixer.

This.

Quote:
i realize that they arent the size of the other companies but they really should have looked at a hardware route for at least something low price but good quality like the z2.

I agree, somewhat.

That's what Rane was in a sense. Not to say that the price point was low, but they were supposed to be the proprietary mixer/hardware company for Serato, until itch and SDJ came out, then it was open season. The problem is Serato isn't a hardware company per se so there's more money to be made in licensing the software to all mixer companies as opposed to putting out a whole mixer. Maybe one day they'll do it.

The Difference with NI/Z2 is that native instruments was making hardware for a long time so it wasn't such a huge risk to put out a Traktor mixer.

Quote:
imo that mixer pretty much proved that everything mixer compatible with serato is over priced.

Agreed, but a lot of pioneer stuff has been like this. It's a very basic entry level mixer that's SDJ ready. I'm not even sure we can say serato box now, can we? Technically aren't serato boxes Rane anyway? Sounds like the sound card is still "Pioneer" but Serato putting in the code work to make it work (don't quote me on this, dunno how this shit works) and making it a Serato/Pio partnership.

But then again, All Serato/Rane Boxes say SSL on them. So SDJ is strictly serato without rane involment. Which also means that the mixer doesn't have to be as much since Rane isn't getting a kick back.

Quote:
i stil cant imagine buying a pioneer 900nx22 or a mp 2015 and STILL having to shell out an extra 100-200 to use it with serato.

Me either. That shit is wild. But business is business i suppose.
Gio Alex 5:23 PM - 7 September, 2017
My question is, couldn't they have just charged 100 for the SDJ license for the Pioneer DJM-250MK2 since it's basically the SAME damn mixer with a serato logo on it? LOL
popnwave 6:33 PM - 7 September, 2017
Not a fan of the unit, but will this shut up the people who keep saying Pioneer is going to stop making hardware for Serato to "take over" the market with Rekorbox?
popnwave 6:33 PM - 7 September, 2017
...Rekordbox. Man it's a never ending battle to fight auto correct with apps that have names like that.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:36 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
My question is, couldn't they have just charged 100 for the SDJ license for the Pioneer DJM-250MK2 since it's basically the SAME damn mixer with a serato logo on it? LOL

That's a good point.

I think Pioneer is making a statement with the pricing of their own products. Like "why go Serato when you can get Rekordbox DVS for 299 cheaper?"

And why did they launch the Pioneer DJ Certification Program www.pioneerdj.com

This should have been a straight forward process.

I'm guessing they wanted to be approached by software companies eg Serato/Traktor/DJay/Cross and probably that's not happening. So it's back to the drawing board for a joint release. ie the rebadged DJM 250

Header should have been "DJM-250MK2 shipping with Rekordbox DVS, now Serato DVS ready*"

*Serato DJ Suite to be purchased separately from www.serato.com

That way no need for any new marketing and it drives sales and they don't have to pay Serato in bulk for units they don't sell. No accounting mess either, each company gets paid separately.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:38 PM - 7 September, 2017
+ more people get to have Rekordbox DJ to try out as result.
Gio Alex 6:40 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
I'm guessing they wanted to be approached by software companies eg Serato/Traktor/DJay/Cross and probably that's not happening. So it's back to the drawing board for a joint release. ie the rebadged DJM 250

Header should have been "DJM-250MK2 shipping with Rekordbox DVS, now Serato DVS ready*"

*Serato DJ Suite to be purchased separately from www.serato.com

Yup!

A lot of these decisions are becoming weirder and weirder.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:46 PM - 7 September, 2017
Management decisions I guess.

I cant imagine the amount of extra units they will move if they did that with the R series of controllers and the rest of their Rekordbox DJ only hardware.

When I bought the Wego3 it shipped with 3 softwares albeit LE versions of DJay, Virtual DJ and Serato Intro.
Gio Alex 6:56 PM - 7 September, 2017
What a mess though lol
dj_soo 7:27 PM - 7 September, 2017
Honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was a serato requirement.

Making the 250 mk2 club kit compatible means that serato djs who want a cheap serato mixer have a chance to try out rekordbox for free and may decide to switch. This way, if you want to keep using serato, you have to buy a separate mixer which requires you to pay money if you want to use rekordbox dj.

Price difference is pretty much exactly the cost of the club kit too.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:34 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:

Which pretty much shows us Serato is not giving us any kind of discount which doesn't really seem right.....
Gio Alex 7:38 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Which pretty much shows us Serato is not giving us any kind of discount which doesn't really seem right.....

Boom!
Gio Alex 7:41 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

They're leaving ZERO room for any loopholes in the system lol
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:05 PM - 7 September, 2017
Maybe it's to protect brands like Mixars and Reloop. Kinda noticed that newer Pioneer gear that gets post launch supported are the top priced ones.

Mid tier and "budget" ones that are supported are done from launch.

This certainly makes me wonder if Serato is the "difficult partner" in this marriage all along and not Pioneer.
Gio Alex 8:26 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
This certainly makes me wonder if Serato is the "difficult partner" in this marriage all along and not Pioneer.

Makes me wonder all sorts of things.

portalvhds8vvm7z0zbcg8n.blob.core.windows.net
dj_soo 9:09 PM - 7 September, 2017
Well, there was the former rane employee in here who said that serato wouldn't allow a certain mixer - many speculate to be the early version of the 72. Most speculate that it was done to not step on the toes of pioneer and the s9 launch.
MPC O.G. 9:11 PM - 7 September, 2017
I could buy a Mixars Duo for $75 more, and get some BASIC effects. I could but a mini Innofader in it and be better off. I JUST CAN'T TRUST PIONEER BUILD QUALITY. Their customer service is the WORST.
popnwave 9:11 PM - 7 September, 2017
Yeah where is goldarn to chime in?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:27 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
Well, there was the former rane employee in here who said that serato wouldn't allow a certain mixer - many speculate to be the early version of the 72. Most speculate that it was done to not step on the toes of pioneer and the s9 launch.

Not sure where Chad got this info from. I've worked in Product Development here since 2012 and we've never told Rane to not build a mixer. Chinese whispers perhaps?
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:29 PM - 7 September, 2017
or how else can one explain this pure rebadged product that costs considerably more.

and to think the price difference is exact cost of a licence, I will think Pio and Hardware guys will get bulk purchase discount.

I wonder what the sales figure is gonna be like.

to me this is an unnecessary product.

Time for a new nomenclature it's no longer Pioneer tax but Serato Tax 😬
Gio Alex 12:49 AM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
I've worked in Product Development here since 2012 and we've never told Rane to not build a mixer.

So we can have an SSL mixer then? LOL JK JK JK
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:06 AM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:

There's plenty of great Rane mixers that work with SSL :D
Gio Alex 3:37 AM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

There's plenty of great Rane mixers that work with SSL :D

LOL my 57SL haha... I'm messing. I use the 62 at the venues I play.
Gio Alex 3:40 AM - 8 September, 2017
Anyone know what the price on the DDJ-SR2 will be?
Gio Alex 3:45 AM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Anyone know what the price on the DDJ-SR2 will be?

Never mind, saw $699 on DJWORX

djworx.com
Culprit 7:26 AM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure where Chad got this info from. I've worked in Product Development here since 2012 and we've never told Rane to not build a mixer. Chinese whispers perhaps?

In all honesty, someone should have told Rane something.. We had the 62, the 57mk2, the 68, then the 64.. 2013 was such a weird period in time for us DJs because we were so in the dark about these projects, and really questioning wtf was going on.

Why make a 57mk2 to compete with a 62/61? There's a 68, what's the difference between that and a 64? I mean what was the direction at that time? Not that it matters anymore really.

If anyone is doing it right, it's Pioneer.
Laz219 7:41 AM - 8 September, 2017
Do you mean someone should have told Rane what Pioneer were working on?

I was just skimming the press release for the SR2- I've never really considered buying a controller. As I was looking at it I thought- SR2+DVS expansion actually seems quite tempting.
Whenever I play out it's always a debate on whether I want to carry my own gear so I can use turntables (and potentially avoid using sketchy gear at a venue) but don't want to deal with the weight/packup/teardown etc.
With an SR2 I could at least have the option of turntables at home and then just rip the controller out to take with me to gigs. Still get to use my own gear but then I've got the option of a full or lightweight setup.
I wouldn't have expected it but it does sound quite appealing.
max_imus 11:26 AM - 8 September, 2017
Strange discussion, anyone actually talking about the S3?

Anyway, looked appealing to me cos I'm still holding off on the S9, horrible placement of the gain and high price being the reason... S3 could have been nice, but only one USB and no booth output, wth?
Gio Alex 12:19 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:

Anyway, looked appealing to me cos I'm still holding off on the S9, horrible placement of the gain and high price being the reason... S3 could have been nice, but only one USB and no booth output, wth?

Dude it's an entry level mixer. Think of it as a bedroom mixer. If you want something with more features go for the mixars duo, or wait for Pio to do the "S6"; a DJM-450 version with Serato.
slimmjimm 2:01 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

It's not just the price difference between the price of the mixer and a Serato license, you have to factor in the margin that Pioneer wants to make.
Gio Alex 2:06 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's not just the price difference between the price of the mixer and a Serato license, you have to factor in the margin that Pioneer wants to make.

Makes sense.

But damn, makes you think are there really that many DJs out there, and is the demand for djs that high?
dj_soo 6:30 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:

Comparing the s9 to the s3 is like comparing a BMW m-class to a Kia sport.
Gio Alex 6:36 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Comparing the s9 to the s3 is like comparing a BMW m-class to a Kia sport.

Yeah, I was confused about that too. I don't care for the S3 either, but expecting 2 usb connections on an entry level/bedroom mixer is silly at the very least.
Mr. Goodkat 6:55 PM - 12 September, 2017
anyone know if this works with rkb or comes with rkb license. i know its probably asking too much, but ..
Gio Alex 7:13 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
anyone know if this works with rkb or comes with rkb license. i know its probably asking too much, but ..

This is a very interesting question. I don't see why it wouldn't support it, but at the same time I see why it wouldn't lol.

The DJM-250 already does is the short answer in my opinion, otherwise they wouldn't have created a separate mixer just for serato. I have a feeling they want to keep them separate. One does SDJ and one does RKB. When I went on the site I couldn't find any clear answer but it wasn't listed as supported hardware. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen though. The whole thing is weird.
Mr. Goodkat 7:38 PM - 12 September, 2017
yeah, that would be kinda of sticking it to sdj if they are also including license but like most were saying, the cost is basically the club kit upgrade so maybe the upside is you get a RKB dvs license
Gio Alex 7:48 PM - 12 September, 2017
Yeah but I have a feeling they wanna keep that relationship copacetic for now.
Culprit 1:06 AM - 13 September, 2017
Quote:
Do you mean someone should have told Rane what Pioneer were working on?

what? come on now, i was not inferring to trade secrets being shared between companies. I'm talking common sense with the product releases.
djvtyme85 11:22 PM - 14 September, 2017
Quote:

but you only pay for serato club kit once and you've got it for life.
Mr. Goodkat 3:07 AM - 15 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

but you only pay for serato club kit once and you've got it for life.

I can see that, but if you have other boxes, mixers, controllers, you're paying for something you essentially already have. I get some of the cheaper controllers but for a top of the line mixer ??
skampy 8:09 AM - 15 September, 2017
Well, Mixars Duo is only €600, so it can be cheaper.
Gio Alex 3:06 PM - 15 September, 2017
Quote:
Well, Mixars Duo is only €600, so it can be cheaper.

Yeah it makes Mixars Duo look more and more attractive. The Duo even has a usb hub built in.
DJ Irv 3:24 PM - 15 September, 2017
Quote:
The Duo even has a usb hub built in.

I'de be damn if that Z2 and Mixars Duo weren't made in the same factory. There is just way too much in common for them not to be brothers.
Gio Alex 4:03 PM - 15 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I'de be damn if that Z2 and Mixars Duo weren't made in the same factory. There is just way too much in common for them not to be brothers.

haha..I literally was just thinking the same thing. Duo is basically the Serato version of the Z2
Logisticalstyles 4:29 PM - 15 September, 2017
After using the Z2 for a little over a year, I'd rather have the Duo. There are some small details that the Duo has but the Z2 doesn't.
Culprit 5:42 PM - 15 September, 2017
$799 in the states.

You can get a Pioneer S3 $499 and Novation Dicers for $99, but then you sacrifice the booth output.

I think the Mixars Duo still a great mixer at that price point.
Gio Alex 5:53 PM - 15 September, 2017
Quote:
$799 in the states.

You can get a Pioneer S3 $499 and Novation Dicers for $99, but then you sacrifice the booth output.

I think the Mixars Duo still a great mixer at that price point.

$699 at some other spots, but it's nice to have a mixer that doesn't require "add-ons"
Gio Alex 5:54 PM - 15 September, 2017
but yeah, the S3 is intended for intro/bedroom djs.
WildcardX 6:06 PM - 15 September, 2017
Quote:
After using the Z2 for a little over a year, I'd rather have the Duo. There are some small details that the Duo has but the Z2 doesn't.

Like what, in your experience with it.
MPC O.G. 6:58 PM - 15 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

That's why they don't have Innofaders in them anymore. Looks like a direct rip off. And those faders in them now ARE TRASH.
Logisticalstyles 7:45 PM - 15 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

The Duo has a curve setting and channel reverse switch for both channels, a crossfader cut in adjustment knob, and an additional recording output. The mic and aux inputs are on the front panel instead of the rear. The phono inputs on the Duo can be switched between phono and line. The Duo doesn't have the LCD display like the Z2 does and it looks like the Duo doesn't have assignable effects like the Z2 does.
dj_soo 10:49 PM - 15 September, 2017
biggest fail of the Duo is lack of postfader effects for the crossfader. It's supposed to be intentional, but still sounds annoying.

How's the sound on the duo?
WildcardX 5:54 PM - 16 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Duo has a curve setting and channel reverse switch for both channels, a crossfader cut in adjustment knob, and an additional recording output. The mic and aux inputs are on the front panel instead of the rear. The phono inputs on the Duo can be switched between phono and line. The Duo doesn't have the LCD display like the Z2 does and it looks like the Duo doesn't have assignable effects like the Z2 does.

From having the Z2, there is a Crossfader Cut in adjustment knob (Close to the Headphones input); no channel adjustment like you said. Inputs on the Z2 can be switched to line or phone as I had to switch to Line to use my SL3 (Phono input assignment is on the SL3 itself). THe Little LCD on the Z2 are useless and not active when using Serato, With Traktor, they work. The Effects work the same way as on the DUO, I am using a slighly modified RADIKARL mapping that is almost 1:1 with the Z2.
Logisticalstyles 1:14 PM - 18 September, 2017
Quote:
a crossfader cut in adjustment knob

The Z2 only has a crossfader curve adjustment knob. The Duo has both a crossfader curve and crossfader cut-in.

Quote:
Inputs on the Z2 can be switched to line or phone as I had to switch to Line to use my SL3 (Phono input assignment is on the SL3 itself).

The phono input on the rear panel of the Duo can be switched from phono to line. This is not available on the Z2. I'm not talking about the switch at the top of the face of the Z2. Look at the rear panel of the Duo. Notice the "Serato Input" can be switched from phono to line.

Quote:
The Effects work the same way as on the DUO

Using the Duo, how would you apply both effects units to a single channel? With the Z2 I would just press the FX 1 and 2 button located right below the filter knob. The Duo doesn't have that option which is why I say they don't work the same. The workflow is different. Also notice the Z2 gives you two parameters to adjust the FX. The Duo only gives you one.

Like I said these are small differences but there are differences.
WildcardX 1:24 PM - 18 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
a crossfader cut in adjustment knob

The Z2 only has a crossfader curve adjustment knob. The Duo has both a crossfader curve and crossfader cut-in.

Quote:
Inputs on the Z2 can be switched to line or phone as I had to switch to Line to use my SL3 (Phono input assignment is on the SL3 itself).

The phono input on the rear panel of the Duo can be switched from phono to line. This is not available on the Z2. I'm not talking about the switch at the top of the face of the Z2. Look at the rear panel of the Duo. Notice the "Serato Input" can be switched from phono to line.

Quote:
The Effects work the same way as on the DUO

Using the Duo, how would you apply both effects units to a single channel? With the Z2 I would just press the FX 1 and 2 button located right below the filter knob. The Duo doesn't have that option which is why I say they don't work the same. The workflow is different. Also notice the Z2 gives you two parameters to adjust the FX. The Duo only gives you one.

Like I said these are small differences but there are differences.

Ok now I understand more clearly what you mean.
DJ Splat 5:10 PM - 26 February, 2018
Looked through the comments and didn't see anyone talking about this, but I have two inquiries.
Since DVS is built in to this mixer:
1) Does it have Post Fader effects (IMO super important)?
2) Can you record the main mix?
Thank you in advance.
DJDiablo 1:20 PM - 9 March, 2018
quote]Looked through the comments and didn't see anyone talking about this, but I have two inquiries.
Since DVS is built in to this mixer:
1) Does it have Post Fader effects (IMO super important)?
2) Can you record the main mix?
Thank you in advance.

I have the same question (for item #2). I can't same to find that either.
DJ Splat 2:20 PM - 9 March, 2018
Just got my answer at 3 minutes on this review. It seems recording internally works well but post fader effects do not. Watchwww.youtube.com
djvtyme85 11:29 PM - 9 March, 2018
Yes it has post fader effects on the channel fader, but does not on the xfader. You can record the master out in SDJ
DJ Splat 2:40 AM - 10 March, 2018
3:30 on the you tube link above Mojaxx shows the post fader effects not functioning on the line faders. Have they done an update to the mixer to change that since this video was made?
Jamescamerino 5:49 AM - 1 November, 2018
Quote:
Yes it has post fader effects on the channel fader, but does not on the xfader. You can record the master out in SDJ

Has this ever been confirmed?

If not is there plans to update firmware/software to match the capability of the DJM 250?
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 3:45 PM - 1 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

If not is there plans to update firmware/software to match the capability of the DJM 250?

No pioneer abandoned this platform, as they should. Get a Rane and get some respect around here.
DJ Splat 4:04 PM - 1 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

As far as confirming that the S3 does not have post fader, that is confirmed by MOJAXX in the video linked above at the 3 min mark. The latest and only firmware update they did was back in Feb 2018. It was an update to improve the curve on the volume mic level. It seems safe to say that it has not been addressed.