Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Even more disappointing, another update just to add 2 controllers (1.9.8)

Dj Ricky Redz 12:55 PM - 7 September, 2017
Only one more update number to go till 2.0... kinda disappointing that this latest update it just for the additional support for the DJM S3 and the DDJ SR2
popnwave 6:28 PM - 7 September, 2017
Why is this a disappointment? Some of you guys are like high maint SOs.

It's to add support for new hardware that hit the scene and fix one bug. Are they supposed to sit on those decks for months so folks who want new hardware have to wait for new features to be added too?
popnwave 6:29 PM - 7 September, 2017
And FYI nothing is stopping them from doing a deeper 1.9.9x or 1.9.9.x release. smh
WildcardX 7:03 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
And FYI nothing is stopping them from doing a deeper 1.9.9x or 1.9.9.x release. smh

Might be their first ever X.X.9 release if this current trend holds true and anticipations about a Namm 2018 release for 2.0.
popnwave 7:43 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Might be their first ever X.X.9 release if this current trend holds true and anticipations about a Namm 2018 release for 2.0.

That's a looooong time from now, but I do agree 2.0 might be a 2018 event. There's going to be new hardware this fall that gets added though, controller or simply bug fixes have gotta be in the pipelline for the holiday season.
WildcardX 12:25 AM - 8 September, 2017
Well look how long we have been on 1.9.6 before they even released something so there's that too. lol
Laz219 12:27 AM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:

It's to add support for new hardware that hit the scene and fix one bug. Are they supposed to sit on those decks for months so folks who want new hardware have to wait for new features to be added too?

This.

I see this in the facebook comments every time a new version that is just updating for hardware comes out.
"This is bullshit, you're wasting your time adding new controllers rather than adding XYZ feature we've wanted for ages"
I'm sure it's the hardware manufacturers setting their release schedule. If Serato have worked with them to develop it and attach their name- it's going to be bad for everyone involved if a product drops with no support.
"new Serato controller...Serato support coming soon"

Just look at how many people are annoyed waiting for the SDJ Denon Prime support- That one is at least understandable to an extent when the Prime is mostly marketed as a standalone system.
Hanginon 12:55 AM - 8 September, 2017
If Serato wants to add hardware support, just update the current version in the suppositories without resorting to the fanfare of a new release.

I mean really, "where's the beef, Serato"? A new version should be exactly that, A NEW VERSION!!
Laz219 1:10 AM - 8 September, 2017
Because it needs to be clearly defined when somebody comes to the website looking for software, what version they need?

I've seen countless threads of "I have SDJ 1.X.X and my XYZ isn't working"
Because they have downloaded an older version.
Makes it a lot easier to just be able to say "XYZ is only supported from version 1.X.X onwards"
DJ_Dad 12:29 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Because it needs to be clearly defined when somebody comes to the website looking for software, what version they need?

Makes it a lot easier to just be able to say "XYZ is only supported from version 1.X.X onwards"

I prefer support for the hardware to be installed at another layer in the software similar to vdj. I agree that a release to add hardware support isn't the best model. They could easily avoid that and still make it simple for users of hardware to add support for their particular hardware device as an "add-on".
Hanginon 8:34 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:

That is automatically taken care of by build number.
Rebelguy 4:04 AM - 9 September, 2017
I love all the guys bitching for new features then a different group comes in bitching the software is too bloated.
WildcardX 1:25 PM - 9 September, 2017
Quote:
I love all the guys bitching for new features then a different group comes in bitching the software is too bloated.

Yup...And the "Viva SSL!" folks too.
mixgoonie 11:04 AM - 11 September, 2017
Lot of people request new features and since the start of the year, honestly, not a lot has changed and if we compare with other software (which i don't like but have them deeply tested), some new feature should be more than welcome...
akakak 12:34 PM - 12 September, 2017
Seems like Serato could be supporting new controllers with a controller mapping file which updates independently of the main software. Then they could release that file without this PITA update mechanism, and without giving all the users false hope that something actually changed.
Hanginon 9:52 AM - 13 September, 2017
Quote:
Seems like Serato could be supporting new controllers with a controller mapping file which updates independently of the main software. Then they could release that file without this PITA update mechanism, and without giving all the users false hope that something actually changed.

Excellent idea, and really should be tied with this thread for a separate audio interface -
serato.com

Separate the hardware and software - eliminate the possibility that updates to one would negatively impact the other.
Hanginon 10:04 AM - 13 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Yup...And the "Viva SSL!" folks too.

I wouldn't laugh too hard - I'm sure there are "flat-earthers" working at Serato that would love to go back to a completely closed system utilizing one hardware manufacturer, but I'd love to see them try and put this Genie back in the bottle!!
DJ Tracy G. 4:22 PM - 13 September, 2017
I dont really look at these point releases as a new version. We're on the same platform. The point releases are just a designator and we should not be looking for new features with every version increment.

I would only ask that Serato is transparent in the release notes during the point releases. I may not want to upgrade with every point release since I'm still using an old school SL3 box. I'm certainly interested in anything that will improve performance though.
popnwave 5:55 PM - 13 September, 2017
Quote:
I dont really look at these point releases as a new version. We're on the same platform. The point releases are just a designator and we should not be looking for new features with every version increment.

I would only ask that Serato is transparent in the release notes during the point releases. I may not want to upgrade with every point release since I'm still using an old school SL3 box. I'm certainly interested in anything that will improve performance though.

They do a pretty good job at that. Which is why I am not running 1.9.8. The one bug fix doesn't impact me and the new devices added aren't on my radar to buy.