Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Using a USB Hub

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Julls 2:13 AM - 15 June, 2006
Ok, question...My laptop has two USB 2.0 jacks on the back. Can I run two hard drives on the hub on one USB jack, and SSL on the other USB jack on the back of my laptop? Would I run into any problems? Thanks in advance.
Julls 10:49 AM - 15 June, 2006
***bump***
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:29 PM - 15 June, 2006
Hello Julls,

Try it and if it works great although we don't suggest plugging hard drives or the SL1 into a hub because problems can arise. This causes a power issue from the computer to the hub and then to the hard drive or SL1. Use the ports that are directly on your computer if you can.
Julls 9:17 PM - 16 June, 2006
Ok, let me get more down to the point. I'm going to plug two hard drives into a powered USB hub into the back of the laptop. Then i'll plug the SL1 into the other open USB port on the laptop (there are only two). I'll try it out and see what happens. I didn't know if someone had tested it or not. Thanks for the help Zach! I'll let you know how it goes.
DJ Unique 11:43 PM - 16 June, 2006
If it does not work you can switch to an external Firewire HDD.
That had worked for me very well.
My lappy does not have built-in Firewire so I am using an expansion card.
MusicMeister 12:37 AM - 17 June, 2006
Zach:

Do you have this same problem on powered hubs?
What if you use a power supply to power the SSL box?

I know that if you plug a hard drive into a USB hub that's powered from the hub you have to be careful because of the 500mA current limitation on USB ports and a hard drive can use all of that (some are right at the limit like my 100GB Seagate 2.5" Drive - it actually has 2 USB ports for cases like this).

However, I've used 2 bus powered drives on a powered USB hub (it had it's own 1A 5V power supply) chained to another hub (also powered) that had another non-bus powered hard drive and a bus powered audio card with no problems.

PLEASE NOTE: I have NOT tried this with SSL!!!

Just curious if it was a timing or power issue or perhaps both.
Julls 11:00 PM - 18 June, 2006
***bump***
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:50 PM - 19 June, 2006
MusicMeister,

Yes, people have issues even with powered hubs and powered SSL boxes.
If it works on your system that's great:)

Julls, did you try it out yet?
Julls 10:21 PM - 20 June, 2006
Quote:
Julls, did you try it out yet?

No, I have not had a chance. I'll give it a try in the next week or two and let you know what happens.
Julls 6:58 PM - 2 July, 2006
Zach,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you about this. I actually used a USB hub (non Powered) with SSL with no porblems. I had SSL plugged into one of the USB ports on the back of my Dell Latitude D600, and then had the hub plugged into the other one. I had a 500 gig hard drive and a light plugged into the hub. I actually had it hooked up at a gig. I never even tested it before the gig. But it ran with no problems for 6 hours straight. Man I love SSL its so stable.