DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

PA setup for about 1000 people

SoundWizard 2:05 AM - 16 August, 2017
Hello,

I am new to this forum, Pro Sound and live Mixing is my passion. I am not a professional DJ or Sound Guy but I setup and run event for my Indian Community as free service.

I am in need to buy new Audio equipment to accommodate community events. Here are some detail about events.

1. We host event at civic center which is about 70' wide X 125' long. We host may be 10 events a year.
2. Hall is about 24' high and not so much acoustic.
3. This is not a permanent setup. we tear down after every event and then store them to air conditioned storage.
4. Most events has live performance of Bollywood dance, Navratri etc, concert type environment. Not a quite audience.
5. We have about 700 to 900+ people in hall.

I am considering below configuration. I would like to get input from some you to point me toward right direction. My budget is somewhat flexible.

a. 4 X EV ETX-12p and 2 X EV ETX-18sp
b. 4 X JBL SRX 812P/SRX 835P and 2 X JBL SRX 818SP
c. 4 X JBL VRX932LAP and 2 X JBL 918SP
4. I heard RCF is also good but not sure which line is best for my need.

I want to buy rig that sound good for live events, last long and cost effective. Any help/suggestion is much appreciated.
dj_soo 4:34 AM - 16 August, 2017
you don't really want to use 4 of the 2-way boxes as they aren't really designed for arraying and will exhibit comb filtering.

Either look at 3-way tops like the ETX35P or SRX 835Ps or an array system like the JBL VRX or the RCF NXL24As.

Subs might be lacking as well as 4 would balance a bit better than a pair, but for live bands, you might be okay with 2.
pdidy 5:05 AM - 16 August, 2017
4 x jbl SRX 835P & 4 JBL SRX828SP (for rooms of this size 8 x 18" subs are recommended)
pdidy 5:11 AM - 16 August, 2017
Taipanic 3:57 PM - 16 August, 2017
You have your top to sub ratio backwards, you are going to want 2-4 subs for each top.
A thousand people is a lot to put sound out for, especially at 100db+ levels and will not be cheap to do it right. Getting the top speakers up high will be key, we're talking truss or lifts.
I think you can do 1000 people well with 4 Orbit Shifter or Captivator 218 subs and two Noesis 3tx tops from JTR. Adding another pair of tops would be easy as the horn is rotatable and available in different configurations. That would be the least amount of boxes to setup with the sound levels & quality you want. You'd probably be all in for around $15k but that gear will last forever if taken care of. Danley gear also has great output but would be double or more of the JTR cost.
While I am sure the other gear listed above will do it will need a minimum of 4 tops (60 degree horizontal or less) and 8 subs (or 4 double 18s) and even then you might be pushing it pretty hard.
When it's all said and done, it might just be easier to have a real production company come in with proper sound, lifts, truss, etc... but I would say my recommended setup would pay for itself in 2 years, which isn't bad, really.
SoundWizard 4:37 PM - 17 August, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation. As far as arraying or placing speaker at high will not be a option for us because of man power and cost. Our current PA system ( 2 x EV Eliminator 15 tops, 2 x PRX415 tops and 2 x EV Eliminator 18 subs -All passive ) is very old and I have blown horn 3 times in last 2 year. With existing gear keeps up until when artist really jaming and I see the amplifier clips stays on for more than 4 sec. Our events does not need so much punch like collage dance/party so I do not want to go crazy on gear that will not need and also save cost. Spending $7k-10k is comfortable range, anything more than 12k is hard to get approved.
Taipanic 6:53 PM - 17 August, 2017
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. As far as arraying or placing speaker at high will not be a option for us because of man power and cost. Our current PA system ( 2 x EV Eliminator 15 tops, 2 x PRX415 tops and 2 x EV Eliminator 18 subs -All passive ) is very old and I have blown horn 3 times in last 2 year. With existing gear keeps up until when artist really jaming and I see the amplifier clips stays on for more than 4 sec. Our events does not need so much punch like collage dance/party so I do not want to go crazy on gear that will not need and also save cost. Spending $7k-10k is comfortable range, anything more than 12k is hard to get approved.

I'd still have to say your best bet would be 3-4 JTR subs and 2 Noesis 3tx tops. That should cover the area, sound great, and be in under $12k for sure, especially if you have amps. Jeff offers discounts for multiple speaker purchases - Buy more, Save more.
This system would be the equivalent of having 4 tops & 8 subs of other brands.
DJ_Dad 11:07 PM - 17 August, 2017
Tops are key. You at least need the vocals to cover a large area. Club level bass isn't as important. As recommended, I would stay away from multiple two way box speakers and get some line array or linear array speakers. I like the fbt cla 406a speakers and a pair of fbt q118 subs. Kpodj will hook you up with all that for 7k. I would add one more of the subs for an additional $1500 if you can swing it. The bass won't be as sweet as the orbit shifters recommended by another, but still pretty damn good.
577er 2:21 AM - 18 August, 2017
How much electrical power is available in the room? 40amp triple phase? Multiple 20amp outlets? What amps do you currently have and what condition are they in?
SoundWizard 3:04 PM - 18 August, 2017
I got 4 X 20 amp outlets. I am using 2 x EV Eliminator amp ( 600W per channel) with separate power outlets.

I use 1 amp to feed 2 subs, 600W per channel, 2nd amp 600W per channel to feed 4 x 15 inch tops.
Brian M 7:49 PM - 18 August, 2017
To keep it simple I would go with a 1 per side of selfpowered JBL double 18 subs and the JBL 3way tops.

Get a decent digital live sound mixer. Have it pre-wired for top speakers and AUX sub outs and get a digital stage snake for everything else. This will save you tons of set-up time.

Get some fills and delay them properly.

You would probably want a few monitor speakers for the DJ and performers.

More than enough horsepower to cover a thousand person room.
577er 12:19 AM - 19 August, 2017
Lots of ways to do this. I would probably go this route for best bang for the buck.

-QSC Touch Mix16 or 30 $2K or less.
-Two (four to have two delays would be better) Yamaha DSR112 or DSR115 for mains $2K-$4K
-Two Yorkville LS801P $3K or less.

-Any leftover money get some self powered monitors.
DJ GaFFle 4:23 PM - 20 August, 2017
Quote:
Lots of ways to do this. I would probably go this route for best bang for the buck.

-QSC Touch Mix16 or 30 $2K or less.
-Two (four to have two delays would be better) Yamaha DSR112 or DSR115 for mains $2K-$4K
-Two Yorkville ES18P $3K or less.

-Any leftover money get some self powered monitors.

Fixed...