Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Mixtrack pro and Focusrite 2i2

LASRFOCUS 3:00 PM - 13 August, 2017
Hi Everyone,

My name is Lasrfocus, I'm a producer, learning how to be a dj.

I've got an audio setup with a Focusrite 2i2 linked to my Yamaha HS7's. I'd like to use my Numark Mixtrack pro DJ-controller with Serato, while making use of my Focusrite interface rather than the build in audiointerface of the mixtrack pro.

I've already done some research. And to me it seems I'd have to buy 2 RCA to TRS- cables, to then route the audio from my Mictrack Pro Controller through the TRS inputs of the Focusrite.

First of all I'd like your opinion on this theory.

Secondly, does anyone know a way to just use the Mixtrack pro as a controller while still receiving the audio in the headphones, this would be even better!

Please let me know what you thing is best

Thank you in advance

Lasrfocus
Jeffrey -Focusrite Novation Technical Support 7:24 PM - 5 September, 2018
Hi Lasrfocus,

The Mixtrack Pro like the 2i2, relies on a host computer for connectivity, functionality and performance. Similarly as well they are audio interfaces. The Mixtrack Pro (all versions up to 3) is not a standalone unit, meaning it requires connectivity to a host PC/Mac and software platform to function and perform. This interfacing with the host computer is initialised & maintained by the Control Panel (PC) and/ or CoreAudio (Mac).

Whether on Windows or Mac, audio interfacing is one-device only communication bridge. You will not be able to use any two interfaces together to expand input output counts. Like Windows Control Panel, Mac's CoreAudio engine can only use one particular sound device at a time. In some case you can partition between two devices (one for INPUT / one for OUTPUT) if the host computer system can handle processing more than one driver at a time. There is no guarantee this will provided a stable working environment or recording and performances.

Additionally, there are applications out there that allow for grouping these together though these are not fully supported as the use thereof as there is no way to guarantee stability universally. You may find information on the web recommending some information about setting up "Aggregates Devices" which allow for combining multiple interfaces together, however this neither will not grantee stability on your system however worth testing.

If you want to use them both and create the most efficient & stable performance platform, each should have its own dedicated host PC/ Mac.

Hope that helps clears up some of the details for you.
Hanginon 2:14 AM - 6 September, 2018
Jefferey,

Your well-meaning response to LASRFOCUS, like horseshoes and hand grenades, was close, but did not hit the mark.

He asked "I've got an audio setup with a Focusrite 2i2 linked to my Yamaha HS7's. I'd like to use my Numark Mixtrack pro DJ-controller with Serato, while making use of my Focusrite interface rather than the build in audiointerface of the mixtrack pro".

I think he meant to say "I'd prefer to use the better sounding Focusrite 2i2 rather than the poorer sounding BUILT IN sound card of the Mixtrack Pro, but still use the Mixtrack to control Serato, i.e, as a MIDI controller". He is not asking to use two audio devices at the same time.

If, and when, Serato joins the 21st Century, and separates it's licensing from the sound card, this can happen. If they don't, we are doomed to (well-meaning) responses such as yours, as well as the "Why do all Serato DJ cntrollers suck" threads that are continuously posted on the Forums.
hairyhero 4:25 AM - 23 September, 2018
Quote:

If, and when, Serato joins the 21st Century, and separates it's licensing from the sound card, this can happen. If they don't, we are doomed to (well-meaning) responses such as yours, as well as the "Why do all Serato DJ cntrollers suck" threads that are continuously posted on the Forums.

Hanginon,

they still haven't found a way?!?!?
my Buddha, its already 2018
didn't use my half broken DDJ-SX for a long time and currently in the market to buy new one, thought it would change in Serato Pro or sth...?
was interested in Denon and all the DDJ-Series
i guess Traktor is the way to go now...
dj_soo 9:14 PM - 23 September, 2018
It’s not that they haven’t found a way - it’s a deliberate business choice to lock the program to licensed sound cards.