DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

College DJ Subwoofer

ABip5 1:11 AM - 9 August, 2017
I'm looking for a powered subwoofer that will be loud enough for outdoor parties of around 300-400 people. I don't want to spend over $750 for one because I don't have the money for it. I already have two 600 watt 15 inch loudspeakers that I am going to use, so I just need recommendations for a good/reliable subwoofer. Thanks.
pdidy 3:03 AM - 9 August, 2017
at that price range for $750 and 300-400 outside you will need......media.tenor.com
DJ Reflex 3:54 AM - 9 August, 2017
ABip5 - Rent a good one... second thought - rent four!
DJ Reflex 3:58 AM - 9 August, 2017
You will need plenty of bass power for a college party outdoors - especially if you're playing dance music. With your budget, you'd be best served by renting them for the time being.
dj_soo 10:30 AM - 9 August, 2017
increase your budget by a factor of at least 4 and you might be able to do 300-400 outdoors.
ABip5 1:28 PM - 9 August, 2017
Let's say I raise my budget to $1200 max. Do you think that will be enough money to buy a subwoofer to support 300-400 people? If so, then do you have any recommendations?
DJ_Dad 3:50 PM - 9 August, 2017
Absolutely. Just buy some beat up looking used ones that still crank. I would get 2 large 18" subs at a minimum. A couple of used yorkville ls801p subs and you will have enough bass for a crowd that size.

If you buy new then you won't be able to do it even for $1200.
Taipanic 7:16 PM - 9 August, 2017
2 used Yorkville LS800p/LS801ps would probably be the most bass for the least amount of money for 300 people. Even then, you're probably closer to the $1500-1800 range.
ABip5 7:28 PM - 9 August, 2017
I'm considering buying two JBL EON618S subs. They're about $750 each which is over my budget, but I figured I wold make the money back pretty fast. Any thoughts?
Gio Alex 8:17 PM - 9 August, 2017
Quote:
I'm considering buying two JBL EON618S subs. They're about $750 each which is over my budget, but I figured I wold make the money back pretty fast. Any thoughts?

To be honest, I think you should follow the advice you're given. if you can't shell out for some big boys. You could also just rent, save your money and the money you make put into/invest for a bigger setup.
JDforKing 2:14 AM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:

If you're going to go this route get some ev ekx18sp from ProAudioStar. Nice subs for the cost ( used or b stock are currently $720 a piece

www.proaudiostar.com

If not,rent subs. Guitar center has the qsc kw181 for a decent rental price.
pdidy 3:30 AM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:

static1.squarespace.com

with a lil haggling you can get 2 new yorkville 801 within your budget from proaudiostar.com. make them an offer of $1000ea.
JDforKing 3:48 AM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

static1.squarespace.com

with a lil haggling you can get 2 new yorkville 801 within your budget from proaudiostar.com. make them an offer of $1000ea.

Do they even carry those subs anymore?
Taipanic 3:56 AM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

static1.squarespace.com

If they do, I'd jump on them. I think the new model is a fair bit pricier.
People don't understand how much more boom those Yorkies put out compared to most everything else in that price range (and higher). Mine's been fairly bulletproof as well.
JDforKing 3:57 AM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

static1.squarespace.com

If they do, I'd jump on them. I think the new model is a fair bit pricier.
People don't understand how much more boom those Yorkies put out compared to most everything else in that price range (and higher). Mine's been fairly bulletproof as well.

The problem is having a vehicle to transport and lift that monster.
dj_soo 5:59 AM - 10 August, 2017
Either rent for those big parties or temper your aspirations and start smaller.

Quality
Easy to find
Cheap

pick two.
DJ_Dad 6:47 AM - 10 August, 2017
I would also add the I would suggest going with a single good sub like the Yorkie over two cheaper lower end subs. The power and quality drops off fast as you get into the cheaper subs like the EONs. I have been more than impressed with just a single ls801p. They really are in another level for just sheer output for the dollar.
desmorider 2:39 AM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:
I'm looking for a powered subwoofer that will be loud enough for outdoor parties of around 300-400 people. I don't want to spend over $750 for one because I don't have the money for it. I already have two 600 watt 15 inch loudspeakers that I am going to use, so I just need recommendations for a good/reliable subwoofer. Thanks.

What kind of 15inch tops are you using?
DJKayce 2:37 PM - 15 August, 2017
Quote:

Go for it. Experience is always the best teacher. Only God knows the brand of 15" tops that you mentioned you have. I don't even wanna know.