Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Efficient, fast DVS mixing - What Sequence do you use?

Hermanator 5:57 PM - 8 August, 2017
Its proven that muscle memory is quicker and more consistent than concious effort. Does anyone else have a specific sequence of actions they follow for the most efficient DVS mixing in Serato?

Example:
Stop turntable, load new song, reset needle, start turntable..
Cue and set gain in HP
Adjust bpm roughly
Cue and loop at beginning of phrase, while adjusting pitch
Adjust eq accordingly
Begin fade
Apply fx for transition

I know the details (such as fx) are not consistent each time.. but I am curious what everyone has found most efficient for loading and essentials of mixing.

Please assume sync is not working, since obviously that's most efficient if properly gridded.
DJ Tecniq 7:27 AM - 9 August, 2017
Here's a helpful tip. Make sure "play from start" and "play from first cue point" are both checked in your setup. This means whenever you load a track it will start from the beginning of the waveform or 1st cue point that you have set. This allows you to be a faster DJ and load tracks faster. So you can drop tracks on the fly with little preparation and if you're not using Relative mode than you should be because it is the fastest mode to be using. If you have a mixer that is DVS than you'll be able to use this feature. However if you are on a controller there is no Relative mode. You didn't specify which hardware you are using but regardless having those two options checked in setup I mentioned will greatly help. Cheers
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:09 PM - 9 August, 2017
open format style

Relative mode

I don't stop the turntable, I return the needle when running out of vinyl.

sync up with the parallel wave forms for quick mixing, most tracks are gridded and cues are labelled 4B intro, 16B intro,Vocal Scratch etc

I tend to stay in +6 or +8 pitch range so next track is close to bpm of live track.

playlist / crates sorting also help. I have mine sorted by bpm and key.

I use relative mode.

I use the load button or knob on the mixer or keyboard short cut to load.

and know your music. when I load a song Im already three songs ahead in my thoughts.

load from first cue option.

cue points sorted chronologically option.

if I need to scratch or juggle I just trigger the cue again when the vinyl sticker is at the point I want usually I line it with the needle.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:51 PM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:
open format style

Relative mode

I don't stop the turntable, I return the needle when running out of vinyl.

sync up with the parallel wave forms for quick mixing, most tracks are gridded and cues are labelled 4B intro, 16B intro,Vocal Scratch etc

I tend to stay in +6 or +8 pitch range so next track is close to bpm of live track.

playlist / crates sorting also help. I have mine sorted by bpm and key.

I use relative mode.

I use the load button or knob on the mixer or keyboard short cut to load.

and know your music. when I load a song Im already three songs ahead in my thoughts.

load from first cue option.

cue points sorted chronologically option.

if I need to scratch or juggle I just trigger the cue again when the vinyl sticker is at the point I want usually I line it with the needle.

Well said. End thread/
Logisticalstyles 11:31 PM - 10 August, 2017
yep!