Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

NEW Rane Mixer?

Chino 12:00 AM - 5 August, 2017
So Rane will be at the DJ Expo in Atlantic City. This will be the first unveiling of new Rane products since the company was bought out by the inMusic Brand company. Personally, I would like an updated Rane 62 (MKII) mixer with larger pads. Does anyone else have similar wishes/predictions for new Rane gear?

QUOTE: "We (RANE)are going to be at The DJ Expo! Meet us at Booth# 115 at the Convention Center in AC!!! #DJEXPO2017"

Let's see if the inMusic Brand company is able to continue Rane's legacy of EXCELLENT customer service and build quality….
eddie3911 12:43 AM - 5 August, 2017
Quote:
So Rane will be at the DJ Expo in Atlantic City. This will be the first unveiling of new Rane products since the company was bought out by the inMusic Brand company. Personally, I would like an updated Rane 62 (MKII) mixer with larger pads. Does anyone else have similar wishes/predictions for new Rane gear?

QUOTE: "We (RANE)are going to be at The DJ Expo! Meet us at Booth# 115 at the Convention Center in AC!!! #DJEXPO2017"

Let's see if the inMusic Brand company is able to continue Rane's legacy of EXCELLENT customer service and build quality….

RANE 62 with larger pads would be dope
DJ Tecniq 1:49 AM - 5 August, 2017
It's gonna be packaged with Numark software. It's a revolution🙌🏼
938MyDJ 4:31 AM - 5 August, 2017
It has to be something that can compete with DJM900NXS2, DJM-S9, or the X-1800 Prime.
SG SOUNDS 3:30 AM - 6 August, 2017
Ok here it is folks...my s9 is officially going up for sale..

www.instagram.com
BigNess 4:08 AM - 6 August, 2017
R-A-C 5:43 AM - 6 August, 2017
yay funfair style. way too colorful for my taste but the sound is probably still good
deejayayup 11:02 AM - 6 August, 2017
They've addressed an issue that really bugs me about the S9 and that is the fact you can only assign 1 FX/functions at a time to both channels. On controllers, even the SP1, you can use cues on channel 1 and use slicer on channel 2. I have no idea why they decided to exclude this feature from the S9.
DJ Tecniq 11:16 AM - 6 August, 2017
Quote:
They've addressed an issue that really bugs me about the S9 and that is the fact you can only assign 1 FX/functions at a time to both channels. On controllers, even the SP1, you can use cues on channel 1 and use slicer on channel 2. I have no idea why they decided to exclude this feature from the S9.
No you just haven't experienced "user mode" with the S9 yet😉
Chino 2:25 PM - 6 August, 2017

This is the mixer I've been waiting to upgrade to. Recently, I've sworn off inMusic Brand products BUT if the great RANE build quality & customer service is still intake then I may just buy one!
Chino 2:36 PM - 6 August, 2017
**"still in tack"
Rebelguy 6:42 PM - 6 August, 2017
Quote:

This is the mixer I've been waiting to upgrade to. Recently, I've sworn off inMusic Brand products BUT if the great RANE build quality & customer service is still intake then I may just buy one!

InMusic only kept 6 employees from Rane and they were all engineers. Customer Service will probably be whoever they use now.
Sharod 6:49 PM - 6 August, 2017
Quote:
Ok here it is folks...my s9 is officially going up for sale..

www.instagram.com

Sexy
Chino 7:15 PM - 6 August, 2017
Quote:
InMusic only kept 6 employees from Rane and they were all engineers. Customer Service will probably be whoever they use now.

Wow. Well I hope those 6 engineers had a say in keeping the RANE build quality the same! R.I.P Rane Customer service…. Rane led the industry with their AWESOME customer service & it will truly be missed!!!
Chino 8:28 PM - 6 August, 2017
Listed below is more info on the RANE 72 via a YouTube vid…

Watchwww.youtube.com
R-A-C 9:40 PM - 6 August, 2017
lol he's just reading from 2 websites. hot candidate for the most useless video
DJWORX 9:55 PM - 6 August, 2017
Quote:

Probably easier to just go to the websites. djworx.com
deejayayup 10:01 PM - 6 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
No you just haven't experienced "user mode" with the S9 yet😉

Yeah I never really looked into that. I should really but I like the convenience of having the selections above the pads like on the SP1. Rane has addressed this.

I'm not selling my S9 though as I've not even finished paying for it yet!
deejayayup 10:03 PM - 6 August, 2017
If the price is similar to the S9, then I'd definitely go with the Rane, given the choice. Although, I imagine the 72 is going to be way more expensive.
Chino 10:11 PM - 6 August, 2017
Im curious about the USB ports in the back. I wonder if it's for a new turntable/midi controller yet to be announced?

Looks like I'll be going to the DJ Expo in AC to find out.
deejdave 2:26 AM - 7 August, 2017
Quote:

If we are being honest that is all these "New ______ Mixer/controller" threads (You know who you are LOL ;) are as well.
Quote:
Quote:

Probably easier to just go to the websites. djworx.com

Exactly.
DJ Unique 3:28 AM - 7 August, 2017
Quote:

LOL
DJ Tecniq 3:29 AM - 7 August, 2017
New #pioneer72 looks lit...I meant Rane my bad😳
dj Krazey leo 11:28 AM - 7 August, 2017
Lol😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣
DJ Stygma 2:13 PM - 7 August, 2017
If it is made by inMusic, it's a no for me dawg. I have never had success with any of their gear.
Mikey C 9:11 PM - 7 August, 2017
Quote:
**"still in tack"

"Still in tact" lol
Rebelguy 3:22 AM - 8 August, 2017
Do you mean intact?
deejdave 4:06 AM - 8 August, 2017
Lmao
Chino 1:57 PM - 8 August, 2017
Quote:
Do you mean intact?

LOL, Yes I meant "intact". : )
Chino 2:04 PM - 8 August, 2017
Quote:
If it is made by inMusic, it's a no for me dawg. I have never had success with any of their gear.

I know how you feel! I've had bad luck with the Denon DJ MCx8000, Akai MPC Rennaissance & the Numark CDXs. All these products were made by companies that are owned by inMusic Brand.

I hope the 'new' RANE company will be just as good as the legacy RANE company. I guess we won't know until the RANE 72 is released & the reviews are in.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:22 AM - 14 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I know how you feel! I've had bad luck with the Denon DJ MCx8000, Akai MPC Rennaissance & the Numark CDXs. All these products were made by companies that are owned by inMusic Brand.

I hope the 'new' RANE company will be just as good as the legacy RANE company. I guess we won't know until the RANE 72 is released & the reviews are in.

I'm going to wait for a year and probably one or two firmware updates before even considering buying it.

The MCX8000 hasn't had a firmware update in a minute and that unit needs something.
Chino 3:08 PM - 14 August, 2017
QUOTE: "U.S. retail for the SEVENTY-TWO and TWELVE will be $1899 and $799 respectively. Availability will be 4th Q 2017."

I have mixed feelings about the price of the 'TWELVE'. My 3900s have WAY more functionality & I can easily purchase a used pair for the price of one TWELVE.

inMusic Brand is following Apple's business model…"Designed in the U.S.A (Washington) BUT manufactured & assembled abroad. Has inMusic Brand adopted strict Quality Control guidelines similar to legacy Rane & Apple???

I TRUST & RESPECT the 6 legacy Rane engineers that have devoted their time, effort & skills to developing these products. I DON'T trust the inMusic Brand company. In the end I will probably buy the TWELVE (& RANE 72). My reason is that if enough of us (DJs) don't support the TWELVE, then it will most likely be the last product of this type that will ever be produced.

Personally, I'm tired of Pioneer DJs' dominance in the DJ market so good ol' healthy competition is a good thing especially for consumers.
AKIEM 5:05 PM - 14 August, 2017
...and if it's successful other companies will make cheaper options for people who dont like solid steel construction.
Chino 5:19 PM - 14 August, 2017
Quote:
...and if it's successful other companies will make cheaper options for people who dont like solid steel construction.

Yes sir! A future with more controllers with direct drive motorized platters sounds GREAT to me!!
deejdave 7:52 PM - 14 August, 2017
Do you not like their prices or the pioneer products themselves though? I am a fan of the products but I am happy to see some competition. Granted the denon prime line will be a speed bump at best in terms of the big picture but still happy to see it happening as we gotta start somewhere. If nothing else it may shake things up and get pioneers wheels spinning (no pun intended) a bit.
Chino 8:27 PM - 14 August, 2017
Quote:
Do you not like their prices or the pioneer products themselves though?

It's more of a personal preference thing. I prefer legacy Technics, Rane & Denon products. The DJ industry as a whole is turning into a Monopoly between Pioneer DJ & now inMusic Brand.

I just hope that the inMusic Brand company doesn't ruin the RANE brand.
Rebelguy 9:04 PM - 15 August, 2017
Wouldn't that be a duopoly?
deejdave 3:41 AM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
Wouldn't that be a duopoly?

LOL Yup!!

AKA a "still in tack" monopoly ;)
Chino 1:05 PM - 16 August, 2017
LOL, yea I'll be the comic relief until the Rane 72 comes out. Then it's all business! ; )

Btw... @deejdave… Have you decided on whether or not your getting the Denon DJ Prime series? Im waiting on your review! : )
deejdave 9:53 PM - 16 August, 2017
LOL Just having fun.

Not going to go for the Prime's. Just got the top MBP (3.1ghz, 2TB SSD) and I just can't justify the purchase with my tack record with Denon. InMusic certainly not helping the case (again for me). I was just saying to one of the other forum members recently I actually kind of even forgot about them altogether until a few days ago. I will say though peeps who have gotten them seem to appreciate them. I just don't see myself using them is all. With the new house (etc.) I have to be a little more selective in my purchases especially being I am not one to sell off old gear as I can not bear the deflation LOL. The 72 has my FULL attention though.
Chino 11:34 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
The 72 has my FULL attention though.

Me too! I can't believe I'm even considering it but I might even pre-order one! I know, I know…you would think by know that I would have learned my lesson!! LOL
Chino 12:01 AM - 17 August, 2017
* by now…. Serato we def need an edit button PLEASE!!
AKIEM 5:34 PM - 17 August, 2017
Questions:

On the Levels (gains) is there a notch at 5?

Are the FX Paddles dedicated to FX, or do/can they change function with the Pad Modes?

Can they be assigned to Instant Doubles?
djcrap 8:57 PM - 17 August, 2017
My question is the 72 dual voltage.
Like can it work in both usa and europe with out need of voltage convertors
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:19 AM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:

On the prototype units we have there is.

Quote:
Are the FX Paddles dedicated to FX, or do/can they change function with the Pad Modes?

They are dedicated to FX.

Quote:

They can but they also control the mixers inbuilt FX, so they would be doubled mapped. I wouldn't recommend it :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:19 AM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
My question is the 72 dual voltage.
Like can it work in both usa and europe with out need of voltage convertors

Yes it is dual voltage.
kvnkrz 3:40 AM - 18 August, 2017
Transport control incase a deck messes up. Damnnnnnn boiiiiiiii

I want that 72
Ragman 6:32 AM - 18 August, 2017
I'll wait until late January to make a decision based on the first adopters reviews. If all check fivers, I'm all over this, but I'm keeping my S9. It's been so solid of late that it has sentimental value for me now.
deejayayup 9:59 AM - 18 August, 2017
So that Twelve turntable... it's only functional when used with the 72?
dibb 10:55 AM - 18 August, 2017
No, it will work with any mixer. You can also hook it up to your computer directly. The USB connections on the 72 are just a hub in fact and the Twelve just outputs a midi signal.
skampy 12:17 PM - 18 August, 2017
Maybe a stupid question: if the 72 fully enables serato dj, and the Twelve is in fact a midi controller, is this handled any differently thanks a native SDJ controller. In other words, does it still use SDJ DVS mode, or not? And if not, would this mean that SDJ runs better w/o the known DVS hickups?
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:36 PM - 18 August, 2017
I think it will be in internal mode. It's a midi turntable, they said. So it's not DVS nor DVS Hybrid like the Denon motorized platter decks.
DJ Tecniq 2:03 PM - 18 August, 2017
If I'm not mistaken it will indeed work with Relative mode. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Logisticalstyles 2:24 PM - 18 August, 2017
I can't imagine it would work in relative mode. Relative mode addresses the issues that come with a tone arm like skipping and vibrations. Without the tone arm on the Twelve there is no need to use relative mode.
DJ Tecniq 2:55 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
I can't imagine it would work in relative mode. Relative mode addresses the issues that come with a tone arm like skipping and vibrations. Without the tone arm on the Twelve there is no need to use relative mode.
Good point so it will work internal mode like a reg DJ controller? Except with vinyl.
dj Krazey leo 3:35 PM - 18 August, 2017
So my question would be would the 12 have latency issues?
Chino 3:52 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:

I'm more worried about the Rane 72's 4.3 inch touch screen causing latency. My experience with previous inMusic Brand products (Denon MCx8000 & Akai MPC Touch) is that screens can cause severe latency. I also know that USB 2.0 has a limited amount of bandwidth.

The Rane 72 & Twelves displayed at the DJ Expo were prototype models and it is yet unclear whether or not the final version will include USB 3.0 ports.
Robbie O 3:56 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:

I don't think so? Have any of y'all used the NS7. My guess is it will be like that with no latency issues.
dj Krazey leo 3:56 PM - 18 August, 2017
Got it certainly understand as I too had the mcx8000
DJ Tecniq 3:58 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think so? Have any of y'all used the NS7. My guess is it will be like that with no latency issues.
I've heard the NS7 has pitch fluctuations just like Technics. I just want stable bpm and less Wow & flutter so I'm dying to see a review of these twelves.
Robbie O 4:04 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've heard the NS7 has pitch fluctuations just like Technics. I just want stable bpm and less Wow & flutter so I'm dying to see a review of these twelves.

well its a motor.... wow and flutter will be there. But I can't imagine it being worst then regular techs. From my experiences, NS7 have been rock solid on a latency tip.
Rebelguy 6:05 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I'm more worried about the Rane 72's 4.3 inch touch screen causing latency. My experience with previous inMusic Brand products (Denon MCx8000 & Akai MPC Touch) is that screens can cause severe latency. I also know that USB 2.0 has a limited amount of bandwidth.

The Rane 72 & Twelves displayed at the DJ Expo were prototype models and it is yet unclear whether or not the final version will include USB 3.0 ports.

If I remember correctly, a moderator had posted in another thread that the final units would have USB 2.0. This is actually more than enough to handle the data that the mixer will be transferring back-and-forth. The main issue will be how well they are able to write The driver for that unit.
Chino 7:36 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
The main issue will be how well they are able to write The driver for that unit.

Good point! Let's hope inMusic Brand has learned from previous mistakes. I definitely want Rane & these new products to be successful!!
Ragman 5:09 AM - 20 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
The main issue will be how well they are able to write The driver for that unit.

Good point! Let's hope inMusic Brand has learned from previous mistakes. I definitely want Rane & these new products to be successful!!

Co-sign.
Fingers and toes crossed. If this turns our to be top notch all around, Rane maybe on to something big.
AKIEM 1:58 PM - 20 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

On the prototype units we have there is.

good

Quote:
Quote:

They are dedicated to FX.

Too bad.

Quote:

Quote:

They can but they also control the mixers inbuilt FX, so they would be doubled mapped. I wouldn't recommend it :)

Lame

Are the pad functions in each mode configurable or are they set?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 9:17 PM - 20 August, 2017
Quote:

Rane have said this was a mistake in the prototype construction and won't have an indent when released.

Only knobs that require an indent (EQ, Filter, Tone, Cue Mix) will have the indent, Level controls will not.
AKIEM 9:57 PM - 20 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Rane have said this was a mistake in the prototype construction and won't have an indent when released.

Only knobs that require an indent (EQ, Filter, Tone, Cue Mix) will have the indent, Level controls will not.

Too bad again. There should be an indent to find equal gain between channels especially for doubles. And now because of aurogain. Past mixers had it. One of the most annoying things about my 57mkii. :(
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:32 PM - 20 August, 2017
Quote:
Are the pad functions in each mode configurable or are they set?

There are user mappable layers on the Seventy Two for the pad modes.
djcrap 5:34 AM - 21 August, 2017
Can you instant double with the lactch switches?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:42 AM - 21 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

;)
AKIEM 2:32 PM - 21 August, 2017
Devil is always in the details. Those paddles would have been excellent for Loops and stuff:( Instant doubles on a separate pad layer:( No cue fader:(

Think I'm going to hold off on this one like the other 60s. Theres probably a 74, and hopefully a Rane57MKIII ftw.

I would trade the touch screen, internal effects, even Akai pads for a couple joysticks (hint: and separate library midi function and gain indents)
AKIEM 2:34 PM - 21 August, 2017
BTW, how I deal with no gain indents on the 57mkii is asign them each to an effect, then I can line them up perfectly at 12 by looking at the effect...
05spoof 4:36 PM - 21 August, 2017
Quote:

From my understanding going USB 3.0, thunderbolt, and USB 3.1 isn't going to make any difference. I read an article awhile back about 3.0 and 3.1 having no benefits over 2.0 when it came to audio latency.
05spoof 4:39 PM - 21 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

From my understanding going USB 3.0, thunderbolt, and USB 3.1 isn't going to make any difference. I read an article awhile back about 3.0 and 3.1 having no benefits over 2.0 when it came to audio latency.

Nevermind...for some reason I thought you were talking about audio. Must of been reading another post while looking at yours.
Chino 6:35 AM - 22 August, 2017

Nevermind...for some reason I thought you were talking about audio. Must of been reading another post while looking at yours.

All good. I just hope inMusic Brand has allocated enough R&D & financial resources to properly release these new RANE products.

I worry that the 'new' RANE products will fall victim to inMusic Brand's poor product management.

One more thing... A special message to the inMusic Brand company…
PLEASE DO NOT MESS UP THE RANE BRAND!!!
DJ Barticus 9:23 PM - 22 August, 2017
Quote:
One more thing... A special message to the inMusic Brand company…
PLEASE DO NOT MESS UP THE RANE BRAND!!!