Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

LaCie Rugged SSD Thunderbolt to use for Videos

arne 9:37 AM - 25 July, 2017
Hey everybody,
since i'm running out of space with my MacBook i wanted to buy a external drive to store the bulk of my Videos that i use for my sets there. I wanted to buy the LaCie Rugged SSD with Thunderbolt, will it work well when i play the Videos live from this External Drive? I just want to make sure i'll find the best fitting External Hard Drive no matter the cost, to avoid any crashings/dropouts!
DJ Tecniq 7:07 PM - 25 July, 2017
Yes Lacie is what most VJ's use. I have something similar it's a Samsung T3 SSD and it does the job very well. No thunderbolt but the USB connection is very secure. Cheers
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:33 AM - 29 July, 2017
I use Lacie Rugged 2TB Thunderbolt Hard drive (not SSD). I'm not sure if having an external SSD has any advantage on the actual VJ performance.

I've been using the Lacie 2TB for 2/3 years and it's good. All hard drives fail so always have a back up + a back up of the back up + and a back up of the back up of the back up.
DJ Tecniq 5:55 PM - 29 July, 2017
Quote:
I use Lacie Rugged 2TB Thunderbolt Hard drive (not SSD). I'm not sure if having an external SSD has any advantage on the actual VJ performance.

I've been using the Lacie 2TB for 2/3 years and it's good. All hard drives fail so always have a back up + a back up of the back up + and a back up of the back up of the back up.
Im thinking of getting a Lacie USB/thunderbolt ext drive as well. The one thing I'll say is a SSD drive def is more reliable as it's a chip and not a spinning disk drive. I've had WD and Toshiba drives complete fail on me and lost all data however the non-SSD LaCie drives I've heard have been really solid esp w/their shock proof.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:51 AM - 30 July, 2017
Reliability hmmm. I've never had any issues with spinning disks external HDs. But I'm prepared for it when it will happen.

I tend to do 100% jumps when migrating to a new HD eg if my 1TB is filling up the next HD will be 2TB. Now that my 2TB is almost full, the next HD is 4TB.

I am not looking to spend 1500 euros on a 4TB SSD

www.amazon.co.uk

vs getting this one

www.amazon.co.uk
popnwave 5:08 PM - 31 July, 2017
Those 4TB SSDs can't drop in price fast enough.